Advanced search

All medical/nursing & midwifrey students

(10 Posts)
Pickles77 Fri 28-Dec-12 21:46:57

Hi all smile
I'm just wondering if any of you had previous education and are now mature students, I'm currently filling out my access course applications and its crossed my mind have any of you not gone this route and gone directly to University?
It's just a thought crossing my mind as I'm finding college, uni and Ucas all very confusing to get my head around.
College is looking the way forward.
I did have a thread on advice for personal statements towards access to allied health proffesional with a view to midwifrey but I seem to have lost it. I'm not sure if it is relevant but I got some great advice!

BrownOwlsShinyToadstool Sat 29-Dec-12 23:36:11

I think most unis like to see evidence of recent study, even if you already meet the academic requirements from previous study. The best thing to do would be to contact the admissions people at the uni(s) you're interested in and ask them what they recommend. IME they are very helpful.

I had previous a-levels and undergraduate diploma, however all but one of the unis I applied to wanted me to have the access course as the other study wasn't recent enough.

Pickles77 Sun 30-Dec-12 04:15:53

Thanks. I'm def trying to do an access course but it was just something that crossed my mind when the lady at admissions told me they hadn't had as much interest in their access courses as they do normally at this time of year.
Made me wonder if people were going to try without.
But yet, midwifrey at uni seems very popular (open days) so I want to do all I can to go and succeed

xxxxmrsxxxx Mon 31-Dec-12 01:12:49

I did a BTeC diploma health and social care (2 year course) because the access course wasn't available at my college. I applied for 5 universities to do adult nursing and got accepted at 4.

Midwifery is much more difficult and competitive to get into. The universities have the pick of applicants. You need to get top grades in whatever study you do. Good luck - it's fun but hard work xxx

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Sun 06-Jan-13 21:25:43

I was told to do OU rather than access as I already had a degree and the access course was just going over old ground. I haven't been offered a place yet so I can't say if the advice was good or not

Indith Sun 06-Jan-13 21:30:48

I start my midwifery in March. I didn't do an access course. The criteria for recent study for mature students was study within 5 years so my first degree just counted. I was told by admissions that it would be good to do something like human biology at a local college or do something through OU but the expense of OU and the practicality of going to a local college when dh was working away and therefore unable to be at home with the dcs in the evening for me to go to a class made me try applying without anything and lo and behold I got in. I was rather expecting to get rejected though and have to reapply while doing some extra study!

Pickles77 Sun 06-Jan-13 21:35:39

Well I got accepted on two of two access courses at different colleges both with a view to university studying of healthcare.
One is one day a week the other is thee.
The one with one day has no crèche and means I can fit more in with DD including work and voluntary work to support my app.
Which I think might be the best way as I've been turned down for funding due to having an NVQ 3 hmm
So it will be a hard slog but I'm prepared

BeehavingBaby Sun 06-Jan-13 22:31:44

I got in to midwifery with just a 10pt OU course on top of A Levels from 10 years ago.

cafecito Wed 09-Jan-13 00:59:30

have you looked at going straight in on foundation years? where in the country are you? is it definitely midwifery you want to pursue? I know Greenwich, for instance, you can enter as a mature student without access course - other unis have additional year 0s, like Kingston, might be easier to go straight into it. Some access courses are great but you need to be sure you're going to one with a good reputation so as not to waste your time. Alternatively, OU qualifications give you points

cafecito Wed 09-Jan-13 01:03:48

hmm I may be out of date with my advice. But it's eminently doable. I quit my job and am now a medical student and looked into all the routes into that without a levels, contact the individual unis you're thinking of and ask them to send you a list of courses they accept. I was surprised that many unis accept OU courses instead of A levels but they have a specific course list often. Or which access courses they prefer, and see if there are any linked places on offer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: