Advanced search

Childcare funding full time students

(3 Posts)
ForkInTheForeheid Mon 17-Dec-12 10:08:17

Hi all,
I'm a full time postgrad student and my husband works full time. Before I gave up work we'd stopped receiving tax credits as we were over the threshold (although not by much) and we're currently repaying overpayment at £20 per month. I phoned tax credits to update our circumstances and tried to tell her how much our childcare (after school club) costs were but she said there's no support for childcare unless we're both working, being a student doesn't count apparently!
She said that local authorities/colleges/universities sometimes help out with childcare costs and I just wondered if anyone else had gone down this route and if it had worked? My son's attendance at after-school club is variable but averages out at £20 a week over 52 weeks.
Thanks folks!

MrsSpencerReed Sat 26-Jan-13 00:17:25

If you are a full time student receiving a SFE loan then you can apply for the Childcare grant (pays up to 85% of your childcare cost if from an OFSTED registered provider). I know this applies for Undergrads but I don't know about postgrads. You could contact SFE and ask about their policy.

MrsHoarder Sat 26-Jan-13 00:18:56

In a similar boat and haven't find anything e. Lurking in case someone else has.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now