Advanced search

Masters + single parent - would I get income support?

(7 Posts)
needsadviceplease Mon 19-Nov-12 13:01:00

Am LP (7mo), would like to do my Master's (ft) next year. Am I right in thinking that I would still get IS, HB, CTB throughout? I would be unlikely to have any other non-benefit income.

I know ft students' income is assessed as though you were claiming all possible grants and loans, but for a non-PGCE/NHS postgrad there is nothing there to 'count', is there, because I can't borrow from SFE, only from commercial banks?

RoisM Tue 26-Feb-13 14:00:14

Hi, I too would like this question answered. Did you find any more information about it?

I am in the same position and may be starting a masters in September if I can get a bursary for fees. I'd like to know if I would still get these benefits.

needsadviceplease Fri 08-Mar-13 11:17:59

Hi, afraid I've still not found the answer. I think I probably ought to pop to CAB or similar - v hard though to trust that anyone knows what they're talking about - had a hard enough time with jobcentre checking my IS claim under very 'normal' circumstances this week! Argh.

lagoonhaze Fri 08-Mar-13 21:58:26

Third google item -wasnt hard to find.


Most lone parent undergraduate students cannot work during the summer vacation and so need extra
money, because they don’t receive Student Finance for living costs during this time. Certain lone parent
students will also be able to claim some IS all year round, for example postgraduate students with no
student income.

good comphrensive guide

lagoonhaze Fri 08-Mar-13 21:59:49

lagoonhaze Fri 08-Mar-13 22:03:39

Income support

Single parents with a child below the age of five can claim income support. During your period of study (usually either 42 or 43 weeks from the start of September to end of June – longer for some NHS courses), you are unlikely to be entitled to income support because usually your student finance is higher than the amount of income support you would receive.

However, you may qualify if you are receiving help with your mortgage interest from income support and the amount you are entitled to is higher than the amount of your student finance. You may also qualify for income support if you cannot get student finance, for example, if it is your second degree or a postgraduate qualification.

from here

needsadviceplease Sat 09-Mar-13 07:35:21

Oh, thank you! That's so helpful. I remember reading the gingerbread information ages ago, then I read something which completely contradicted it. confused That all looks v reliably agreed, though. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: