Talk

Advanced search

Advice for possible future PhD

(3 Posts)
Jilko Thu 27-Sep-12 13:56:36

Hello all,

I am currently a SAHM with DD2 (10m) & DD1 who has just started school.
I would love to do a PhD at some point in the next few years, BUT I'm not sure how realistic this would be?

I have a biology degree and a PGDip, but these are from 13yrs ago sad
I have 10yrs exp of working in Pharmaceuticals, mainly lab based, though I haven't worked for the past 2 yrs. I know that I would need to get a Masters to stand any chance of getting onto a funded course, but again I'm not sure if I could afford to do this with the childcare I'd need, unless I did OU. I have done a few OU modules in the past and like their approach, though this would take me 3yrs to get an MSc.

Another thing I've read is that, for sciences, the Universities would prefer a research methods MSc? confused

Sorry for the ramble! Any advice on these issues would be appreciated, TIA
J smile

Ephiny Mon 08-Oct-12 13:34:51

I don't agree you need a Masters to get PhD funding, especially if you have significant lab experience from your previous job. It might well be worth applying anyway.

Also you could apply for funding for 1+3 courses (i.e. MSc or MRes followed by a 3-year PhD)?

Chrysanthemum5 Mon 08-Oct-12 13:42:58

I agree with ephinany you don't necessarily need a masters to do a science phd (it is much more expected in the humanities) . I'd question why you want to do a PhD though. Do you have a research area you are incredibly interested in? You need to love your research on day 1 because it's a really hard process and motivation can be all that gets you through some points.

Or, do you think it will give you career options? What sort of career do you want at the end of it?

With masters some are taught courses with lectures and a dissertation, a research masters generally involves more research work and then a research based dissertation.

If you want to do this, then I'd suggest talking to a university adviser - look up the university you'd want to be at, then check out the website for how to apply, and if possible talk to people there about what they are looking for in a candidate.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now