Talk

Advanced search

HELP! I don't know who to put as a referee on my UCAS form!

(5 Posts)
peggotty Sun 23-Oct-11 16:23:11

I'm applying to Uni for 2012 entry as a mature student. I've been SAHM for 7 years and am absolutely stumped as who I can put down as a referee for me - I've not done any voluntary work or courses that I can have a tutor do it for me. I have just started a job relevant (ish) to the course I want to do, but I reckon my brand new employers aren't going to be too chuffed if I announce I want a UCAS reference from them as I might be swanning off to uni next september (I didn't mention Uni at the interview); and besides, there not going to get the chance to know me well enough to do a reference in a month!

The only person I can think of is someone I worked with 7 years ago that I haven't stayed in contact with. I don't know if he'd be willing to do it, although I think he might (I've not approached him yet). The job I did then isn't particularly relevant to the course I want to do, but it's my only hope. What should I do!?

noko Mon 24-Oct-11 15:24:07

as a mature student and SAHM as well, i applied with no relevant experience to the course i'm doing, but luckily for me i kept the email adress of my former college tutor who taught me 6 years before. i contacted her and ask and she was willing to help.
in my opinion, what you write in your statement is more important as it shows the key reason of you choosing the course.

nokissymum Mon 24-Oct-11 16:43:36

Can you not just use a friend ? What type of referees do they have to be, personal or does it specify work related ?

peggotty Mon 24-Oct-11 16:51:43

You're not allowed to use friends or family - they will cancel your application if they find out you've done that shock. I could ask my friend who does the same job as me and just put her down as a work colleague - even though it's against the rules. I'm desperate!

peggotty Mon 24-Oct-11 16:53:44

Just noticed my 'there' instead of they're typo in original post. Shocking grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now