Talk

Advanced search

Open University Special Circumstances

(7 Posts)
Reader1982 Fri 21-Oct-11 14:38:00

Hi,
Has anyone ever submitted a form of special circumstances (an E39 form) to the OU following an examination?
I was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice on how they use it and what the potential outcome could be?
Many thanks.

KatyMac Fri 21-Oct-11 14:40:42

I think I did a PT39 about a coursework I did badly one because I had been quite poorly

I get to do an oral exam to make up the grade (but I am still waiting for written confirmation) as you have to pass each TMA to pass this course

Reader1982 Fri 21-Oct-11 14:45:15

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I sat an exam recently and in the last couple of weeks leading upto it I had a really really bad time that certainly falls within the special circumstances definition. My overall assessment score for this year is fantastic (over 90%) and I am sure that my exam mark is not going to be anywhere near it at all, thats even if I pass. I am kinda hoping I fail so I at least get the chance to resit but knowing my luck I will get a really really bad pass instead. I just wondered what they might do for me if I do get a bad pass? If they do anything at all....!!!

KatyMac Fri 21-Oct-11 19:20:11

I'm sorry I can't be more help

Good luck

gingergran Sat 22-Oct-11 13:58:35

it is always worth submitting the form especially if you have documentary evidence to support your reason. you have nothing to lose. i was told that they tend to take the information into account if you are close to a grade boundary. in any event there are strict timetables that have to be followed in order to submit the form so make sure you are within the time limits. also speak to your tutor - they may be able to put a good word in for you. i had a problem with coursework and submitted the last TMA late - but my tutor, although she had no jurisdiction herself, spoke to the faculty office on my behalf and in the end i was able to get a retrospective extension after having submitted the form. all is not lost - i have found that the OU are very good at working for the benefit of students who have problems rather than against. good luck

Reader1982 Sun 23-Oct-11 21:23:59

Hiya,
Thanks for your reply!
I suppose its just a case of waiting and seeing what happens when the results come out in December.
I wish I had deferred my exam before actually sitting it as I am now more worried about getting a bare pass and therefore a poor grade. I would rather fail and be allowed to resit in order to at least be sure that whatever grade I did come out with was really what I am capable of!!!
Normally December would creep up so quickly what with the run up to Christmas but its sure going to drag this year.
Thanks!!!

OddBoots Sun 23-Oct-11 21:27:49

Have you had it confirmed that if you fail and you re-take you could get anything above a bare pass? On my last course that was the best you could get on the re-take.

I have never had to submit the form but I am disabled and I have found the OU to be very helpful in trying to adapt things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now