Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I have just registered with OU to do a degree in childhood and youth studies

(7 Posts)
teensistearaway Fri 23-Sep-11 15:57:52

Have i done the right thing? I have 2 very young DCs (3m and 18m), I am newly single, working 16hours a week. Will I fit it all in?
Having a panic now.

updiffed Fri 23-Sep-11 16:02:33

Are you starting at Level 1?

I found level 2 very time consuming, I just couldn't fit in the recommended hours (16 I think) and I really really struggled. I SAHM with a DH, but with no childcare help except school nursery, my kids were 4 and 2 at the time of starting level 2. I dropped out sadly.

I'm sure someone else will come on here and tell you that its perfectly doable. But I just wanted to warn you that its no walk in the park.

teensistearaway Sat 24-Sep-11 07:58:26

Yes, im starting at level one. My mum lives just down the road, she doesn't work so she is always available to help with DCs. And im very lucky that both babies are in bed by 7pm every evening and i don't hear them until 7am so at least I will have the evenings to squeeze in some work.
Just a bit worried that I'm taking on too much too soon. Hopefully I'll manage.

updiffed Sun 25-Sep-11 18:16:10

Good luck to you!

gingergran Mon 26-Sep-11 07:53:24

which course are you taking first?

teensistearaway Mon 26-Sep-11 08:45:27

Introduction to health and social care first. Anyone done it?

ExpectoPatronum Fri 30-Sep-11 12:25:08

I'm doing this too - doing E111 Supporting learning in primary schools first.

I think it will be challenging for you because of having young children at home (mine are all school age and although I work, I have one day each week at home without any interruption). But where you gain is that you've probably got more time in the evening.

I've just been reading through the Assessment Guide this morning and it stresses how important it is to follow their guide exactly about which units to read when, which DVD excerpts to watch, to construct TMAs exactly as the question requires. I've come to the conclusion that so long as I do that, it'll be fine!

Good luck with your studies - do you know yet which other courses you're going to take?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now