Talk

Advanced search

Possible OU modules - I can't decide - experiences of these anyone?

(6 Posts)
fraktious Sat 10-Sep-11 09:38:08

I'm going for an Open, trying to build up NC subjects, focusing on English and Science with French as my MFL so I'm considering:

Level 1
Bon départ: beginners' French (L192)
Molecules, medicines and drugs: a chemical story (SK185)
Ouverture: intermediate French (L120)
Start writing fiction (A174)
Starting with maths (Y182)
Understanding the autism spectrum (SK124)
Understanding the weather (S189)
Volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis (S186)

Level 2
Perspectives on complementary and alternative medicine (K221)
Worlds of English (U214)

Anyone got anything good/bad to say?

webwiz Sat 10-Sep-11 15:28:36

I've done Start Writing Fiction (A174) which I absolutely loved, my tutor was really encouraging and I think my writing got better very quickly. I haven't done any of the short science courses you've listed but I have done Elements of forensic science (S187) which was really interesting but had a slightly frustrating skills based assignment at the end. I presume that it typical for the short science courses but I felt it didn't really test what I'd learnt. I am an expert on blood spatters and fingerprinting now though so if I ever want to write a crime novel I'm all set!

said Mon 12-Sep-11 13:27:56

Did Ouverture years ago and I enjoyed it very much. How good is your French now?

fraktious Mon 12-Sep-11 17:52:17

Practically fluent -DH is French and we live here but I have no formal recognition above my paltry GCSE. I'd like an easy course tbh!

said Mon 12-Sep-11 19:19:04

Oh, you'll find it a doddle then. Can understand wanting to get recognition and, for you, it'll be an easy 30 points in the bag (Bon depart even easier so another 30 points smile)

BreakOutTheKaraoke Sat 17-Sep-11 10:48:24

I've done starting with maths but it was y162. Got my results yesterday actually! Very easy, material is GCSE level. Was a good intro for me, but sort of led me to a false sense of security- the tutor was very involved, and obviously writing on a maths course is very different to writing any other essays! I would suggest the next level up on the maths courses, think there are links online to check your knowledge, see how suitable they would be?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now