Talk

Advanced search

Applying to medicine - really good or really baaad idea??

(4 Posts)
MmeButterfly Tue 06-Sep-11 19:24:35

Hi all,

Just found out i'm pregnant again! I'm really happy about it as we wanted at least two children. Just missed my period and did the test today.
But, I've been reassessing things for the last couple of months or so and started looking into applying to do medicine.

Because I've got an arts background and a 2:2 first degree, there are only 3 places I can apply to meaning we would all have to uproot and relocate. Saying that, it would only be a 4yr course.

Although DH is broadly supportive, i'm wondering if this would just be way too much upheaval for us all. Not to mention the fact that I don't really want to be apart from my DCs in their early years as far as possible.

So I'm 33 this year. If I waited til both DCs were school age, would that make me too old to start this or would I just have the excuse that I didn't want to move them out of school??

I should also add that the university fees are increasing now to £9k per year. Yes, you can get some off that with an NHS bursary but that only really reduces it to about £6k a year..... I feel guilty already about taking this out of the family pot...

If anyone's in the same boat or has any pearls of wisdom I would be very interested in hearing about it.

ImpyCelyn Tue 06-Sep-11 20:03:19

I've PMed you

Instinctivemum Tue 06-Sep-11 21:29:13

Please do it only if you want to be a doctor more than life itself. I'm 33, I married my husband when we were 23 and 27 respectively and his journey into medicine has been a real strain on our life. And this is after we've structured our lives around it, given that I'm not a professional and his career will eventually put food on our table.
The NHS is a monopoly and is run like one. It's a brilliant system if it serves you, but not so, if you're an employee.
Btw, I work full time, we have 1 DD and I'm ALL for working mums and two career families. I just don't think medicine at this point in the UK is very family friendly

Good luck if you do decide to do it !

MmeButterfly Wed 07-Sep-11 09:30:39

Instinct - I'm hearing you loud and clear and this really echoes what others have said. I'm so sorry to hear what a strain its been for you. It may be something I do later on but all this combined with the now £9k tuition fees is a real turn off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now