Talk

Advanced search

Going back to uni in a month, it's going to be hell isn't it?

(5 Posts)
DirtyBit Fri 19-Aug-11 14:58:49

Second year starts on 19th September, DD will just be 4mo, my mum is going to look after her.
Don't have my timetable yet but hoping it won't be jam packed.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Red2011 Sun 21-Aug-11 12:52:11

Similar situation here. Third and final year starts next month. Did already do Sept-Nov 2010 on same course last year but took beat part of academic year out to have DD.

She will be 8 mo when I go back. Don't have mum; Dad is very elderly (80) and does not live close. OH works 2 p/t jobs (pretty much 6 days a week). In-laws can help with some childcare but there are days they can't do.
Applied to college creche but they only have spaces Mon & Fri. Provisional timetable says I'm in Tues, Weds & Thurs....

:-(

MatureUniStudent Sun 21-Aug-11 17:45:41

Am dreading going back - the end of lazy relaxed days and sunshine. A world of endless hard work and feeling like both me and the children are like hamsters in a wheel. Sigh.

cherrypez Mon 22-Aug-11 23:04:33

My second year was the hardest in terms of workload and I was in uni every day as opposed to 4 days in first yr and 3 days in third yr. However third year was easiest of all as dissertation counted for two modules, and despite giving birth halfway through year 3 I honestly felt it was the best year.

Red2011 Sat 27-Aug-11 12:20:02

It also looks as though we don't qualify for any funding towards a nursery place so no idea how we're going to manage.
My course at college is 16 classroom hours (and 32 ish 'home study'). DH works 5 to 6 days a week (sometimes 7) with two p/t jobs.

As my course is 16 hours, it doesn't count as f/t. DH earns less than £15k in two jobs combined, so we don't qualify on the 'taxable income at 40%' bit.

Just wondering how we're going to manage? As it's my final year I have lots of important (time consuming) assignments plus a dissertation to write...so fitting in a p/t job is not an option.

I suppose I can use my student loan to fund the nursery place (it's just one day a week) but that means I won't be buying any course books.

Cherrypez what were you studying and how did you manage?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now