Talk

Advanced search

Entry requirements for MA History ?

(9 Posts)
Jilko Thu 11-Aug-11 10:16:16

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of perhaps doing a p/t MA in 2013, when DC will be 5
& 2. However, the entry reqs state that you need a 1st degree in history or similar. I have a BSc (Biology based) from 1998 and a PGDip IT, so completely irrelevant qualifications.

I was made redundant last summer after 10+ yrs working for a Pharma company in a lab job, and decided to become a SAHM (& now pg with DD2 due in Nov). However, I can't stop thinking about doing something in a couple of years time, and would like a complete change.

I am just wondering what the best access course would be that would bridge the gap for this course as I doubt my current quals would be enough. And also I'd like to do some study first before jumping straight into the MA.

My initial plan was to do a level 2/3 OU history module starting next autumn, as I've done a couple of courses with them before and like them, but now they are putting the cost of a module up to £2.5K! I just can't afford that for one module! My other thought was maybe to do a history A-level along with maybe an English (?) or French A-level, but is this enough.

I've emailed the Uni I'd like to apply to, but haven't heard anything back yet (maybe due to summer hols?).

TIA

Hagocrat Thu 11-Aug-11 10:20:21

I think that entrance requirements will be flexible for mature students, so it's worth contacting the admissions tutors for the programmes you're interested in to sound them out. I'm sure they'd be happy to advise you about what, if anything, you need to do.

I don't know whereabouts you are but Birkbeck does a bridging course for people whose first degrees are not in history, so perhaps there'll be something similar at other universities?

Jilko Thu 11-Aug-11 10:26:34

Thank you Hagocrat!

I'm in Nottingham and have emailed Nott Uni about reqs.
I'll have a look at Birkbeck though, I would be interested in a distance learning course to save on childcare for a bit :-)

Hagocrat Thu 11-Aug-11 10:28:55

I don't think Birkbeck does distance learning (not 100% on that though!) - have you looked at the OU's history MA?

Jilko Thu 11-Aug-11 10:34:40

I had a look a while back at the OU's history MA, but it seemed to be based on local/regional history which doen't really appeal. It didn't seem to be very flexible either, whereas the Nott Uni MA say has the option of 'tailoring' modules based on your interests, but thanks I might contact the OU and ask for more info.

Hagocrat Thu 11-Aug-11 10:41:18

The Notts programme sounds excellent - hope you hear something back from them soon. I'm sure you won't have to faff about doing A Levels. Presumably you've got an interest in history so have done lots of self-directed study - the only issue I can think of is you might want to brush up on your academic skills before tackling an MA: essay-writing, referencing and all that. If you get in quick, you could do an OU history module starting in Oct 2011 or Feb 2012 before the fees go up:

Total War and Social Change - Feb 2012 - £700

Empire - October 2011 - £700

Hagocrat Thu 11-Aug-11 10:42:30

or a level 2:

Exploring History - Oct 2011 - £700

Hagocrat Thu 11-Aug-11 10:50:40

I know £700 is a lot to find but the OU allows you to spread the cost with an OUSBA account (all the details are on the website).

Jilko Thu 11-Aug-11 15:13:12

Thanks v much for the info/suggestions - I'll have a look at them. Starting an OU course in Feb 2012 would be good, but DD2 would only be 4m then, so not sure if it would be too much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now