Talk

Advanced search

Mature student and fitting in.

(4 Posts)
aquos Sun 31-Jul-11 20:46:13

I am going to college FT in September to re-train as a beautician. I've been a SAHM for the last 4 years and before that I was doing mindless office work that fitted in around the family.

Looking forward to the course, but having met my fellow students I am the oldest by a good 20 years (I'm mid 40s). How will I fit in? What will we have in common? The tutors are mostly around my age, which is some comfort.

Any other mature students who can share their experiences?

CaptainKirksNipples Sun 31-Jul-11 20:53:17

I went to college at 27 (and 2 dc so felt older!) and there were a few older than me on the course but the majority were under 22. I got on well with most of the 20+ groups but not the 16-18 as they were quite immature. You will get on well with the ones who want to study and do well, and avoid the ones who are there to waste time.

Red2011 Sun 21-Aug-11 12:56:32

I went to college at 40 after 20 years working. Most of the people on my course were early 20's but there were also 2 older students. We all got on really well. Only problem is I took a year out to have DD and am about to return to complete my final year....scary!!

IwanttobeShirleyValentine Wed 31-Aug-11 23:42:50

I am in my late 30's and been a SAHM for 10 years. Last September I went to college and did a 1 year course. I was the oldest there but I made friends with another mature student about 7 years younger than me and another student in their late 20's. It was fine on the whole tbh.

I did get on quite well with mosrt of the 17/18yos but some were just rude and very immature and showed no respect for the tutors. It was abit of journey doen menroy lane and made me realise I would not want to be that age ever again.

All in all though I loved the experience.

I am hoping to enrole (space permitting) on a Beauty Therapy Course tomorrow. So may be able to talk "shop" with you on here - all going well & I get accepted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now