Talk

Advanced search

The OU has announced their new pricing structure for 2012!

(12 Posts)
HomemadeCommunistRussia Fri 29-Jul-11 16:49:06

Basically if you are studying at the moment you pay the same price per module until 2017.

If you new to the OU it will be £5000 for a full time course (=2x modules or 120 credits)

<staggers> shock

linky

VJay Sat 30-Jul-11 19:08:23

shock I'm so glad I've nearly finished my degree, I would never be able to afford it if I was starting now!

TimeWasting Sat 30-Jul-11 19:12:13

shock I'll not be taking that Creative Writing course then. Ever!

HomemadeCommunistRussia Sat 30-Jul-11 20:40:36

Yep 'tis pretty bad.

You can though, as far as I can tell, get a student loan for the fees now, just like an ordinary university course.

TimeWasting- if you start something this October you will sneak in as a continuing student and qualify for the lower rate. (I think)

My job is looking really shakey at the moment and I wasn't sure if I ought to take a year off from study- no way now though! If it has to go on a credit card I will carry on.

<determined emoticom>

TimeWasting Sat 30-Jul-11 20:43:00

DC2 due on October 5th or I'd already be signed up.

Definitely an expensive option to wait now, go for it.

HomemadeCommunistRussia Sat 30-Jul-11 20:49:48

Congrats smile

Check that link won't you- I might have got it wrong, maybe you might be able to qualify if you do a course starting in Feb.

Good luck!

theredhen Sat 30-Jul-11 22:31:54

Out of interest, how much does it cost a single parent to do an open university degree?

notveryinventive Sun 18-Sep-11 18:10:40

I looked at that link and it was good, but they had a link in there that was called something along the lines do i qualify for student loans, but I couldnt see it. Is there something where i can put in my details and it will tell me if i qualify for a student loan?

Thanks

worzelswife Sun 18-Sep-11 18:19:46

I'm so very glad I'm finishing now too. BLIMEY! I do hope some of that is passed onto the tutors; they don't seem to be paid very much at all.

SummerRain Sun 18-Sep-11 18:26:15

They still haven't announced non-UK fees and haven't confirmed ours are protected the same way UK students are if we're already studying. I already pay £1650 for a 60 point course.

Thank god for OUSBA! Spreading the cost makes it almost managable

MrsPlesWearsAFez Sun 18-Sep-11 18:26:17

Theredhen - it depends if you're working, and how many points you want to take etc. They're really very good if you give them a call.

I did two years after dd was born, and as a LP in IS was entitled to do a number of points (equal to full-time) with the fees paid, and a small grant to cover Internet/Childcare. This was back in 2007-08 so it may have changed now.

It's a great way to study, so I'd really encourage you to give them a call smile

carocaro Tue 20-Sep-11 18:18:10

Hooray for me, something to do with spending less money rather than more for a friggin change! Have done one course already and starting another in Oct.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now