Talk

Advanced search

Distance learning - OU or anyone else

(9 Posts)
babyocho Fri 22-Jul-11 21:12:31

I graduated in 1997 and have been working in a totally different field since then.

I really want to get back into some kind of study, esp as I have recently split from DP and have more time and want to do something for myself that's not related to DD.

I have been looking at a BA in psychology from the Open University but cannot get my head around the fees - is it 5k in total all payable up front? And is there a one off registration fee on top of that?

Also, are there any other distance learning (with some contact tutorials) that they can suggest to me?

TIA

BerylOfLaughs Fri 22-Jul-11 21:20:25

I'm doing a degree with the OU at the moment.
You pay per module as and when you apply for the module - usually approx 6 months before the module starts.
You can spread the modules over as long or short a time as you like but most modules only run once a year with a cut off registration date about 3 months before the module starts.
You will probably need to do a residential school.
No registration fee on top of the current fees but no one is sure exactly what it is going to cost once these new fees come in next September. It's possible that current students ,ay not need to pay fees and new students will, so if you apply for a course sooner rather than later it could help. Make sure you register your intention to do the whole degree. The people on the other end of the OU phone lines have been very helpful to me in the past.

Matildarabbit Fri 22-Jul-11 22:08:12

Start quickly...fees are going to £5000 per 120 points(with transitional fees for current students until 2017).

Looks like the government are doing really well at making education inaccessible for most.

Prolesworth Fri 22-Jul-11 22:12:35

Message withdrawn

SauvignonBlanche Fri 22-Jul-11 22:18:02

I did a BSc Hons with the OU and yes, you pay per module.
Other Unis may do dustance learning courses.
I'm, just about to start my Masters with another Uni and whilst it's also distance learning it's going to be cheaper than the OU @ £27 per credit.

babyocho Sat 23-Jul-11 22:21:53

Thanks, called OU today and got it confirmed. Just pay per module and new fee structure not until after September 2012.

Couldn't book what I needed to because their computer system was down today! Very excited regardless about starting in November!

Oumasrusks Mon 25-Jul-11 07:41:51

Prolesworth - yes, if you have a degree already you cannot get a loan to cover fees and will have to pay the full £2 500 per module.

Oumasrusks Mon 25-Jul-11 07:42:32

Oops - don't know if that was clear - the £2500 per module is obviously only if you start after Sept 2012.

Prolesworth Mon 25-Jul-11 10:18:07

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now