Talk

Advanced search

Work/uni patterns for midwifery

(4 Posts)
Curlybrunette Fri 15-Jul-11 13:49:37

Hi all,

I've wanted to train as a midwife for years but decided to have children first and I'm now wondered whether it is the right time to apply.
Can anyone tell me what sort of hours are worked during the training, is it like a 6 week work placement, followed by 6 weeks at uni for example. I know each university is probably a bit different, I would be going to Hull uni. I need to plan to see whether it is practical to do it now with regards to childcare etc. my boys are still quite young.

Ta
x

NatashaBee Fri 15-Jul-11 13:53:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lorelai Sun 24-Jul-11 18:42:23

Some are like that, others mix uni/placements each week (ie 2 days uni, 2 days placement). I'm not sure what Hull is like, but with Hull bear in mind they don't do applications through UCAS (you apply direct), and their application cycle runs a year ahead, so the next next round of applications would be for starting in Sept 2013.

I am also planning to apply for midwifery, there is loads of good advice here. In terms of childcare, you need to have iron-clad yet flexible arrangements with several back up plans as you could be working 12 hour shifts, nights, etc.

thepuddingchef Sun 07-Aug-11 22:48:06

Hi, I am doing nursing at uni and my hours are 37.5 per week during placement in 4 or 6 week blocks, then usually 2 weeks at uni in between, but the study hours in between uni and placement are the killer!!! Uni can be just as full on as placement, if not harder as it's usually 5 days per week, as placement is only 3 x 12 hour shifts. Well worth it though!!!!! Good Luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now