Talk

Advanced search

What is a foundation degree?

(6 Posts)
Grabaspoon Mon 04-Jul-11 15:08:01

and is it any different to a "proper" degree?

I am very interested in doing : Foundation Degree: Early Childhood.

However will I end up with a degree at the end of it or just a bit higher up the NVQ structure. I am a level 3 nd I know it covers 4 and 5 so will I just be a level 5 NVQ not a graduate?

smile

flipthefrog Mon 04-Jul-11 17:27:23

you'll get a level 5 but will have the option to do the last year and have a full degree. i've just finished the first year of one and it's been really interesting, lots of work but you get used to it!

notsoqueenofclean Mon 04-Jul-11 17:30:37

You will be a graduate, with the option of topping your FD up to a BA.

It's very hard work, it takes over your life, but it is definitely worth it. Only downsides have been a lack of financial recognition but then this is early years!

Grabaspoon Mon 04-Jul-11 18:51:58

Haha Notso - yes childcare isn't the field for those aspiring to be wealthy!

Thanks for the info - will def put my name forward then grin

purepurple Thu 07-Jul-11 17:43:35

A foundation degree is still a degree, only at a level 5 and not a level 6. They are designed for people already working in the industry.
I have just returned from my graduation ceremony, today, after 3 years of studying for my foundation degree in professional practice in the early years.
We had a fantastic ceremony in the Winter Gardens at Blackpool, all in our gowns and caps.
I am doing a top up year in September to a BA Honours degree in Early childhood.
Good luck Grabaspoon!

saxony Thu 07-Jul-11 21:36:14

Hi, I too am interested in doing an Early Years degree, with the OU. However I am not currently working in a school and wouldn't be able to give up my current job until I qualified to work in childcare. Would this degree be suitable in my situation?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now