Talk

Advanced search

P/T PhD - how much time?

(3 Posts)
LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Fri 01-Jul-11 20:20:43

Do those of you doing a PhD part time usually devote about 20 hours per week to your studies? I think I might be being optimistic...

Concordia Wed 07-Sep-11 22:47:00

hi loopy searching through for things about vivas and saw your post was unanswered.
i took about 7 years (not including 2 years leave of absence ) so may not be the best model in this, (i also did a taught doctorate which was a bit different i guess) as i did very little for long swathes of time due to work commitments.
it'll also depend how many years you intend to do it for. i think if you did 10 hours a week solidly and didn't let it get squeezed out by other things, with additional hours in those weeks when for example you collected data or did a lot of analysis, you would get there, but dont' hold me to it. i think if you did 20 hours a week you would probably finish in 4 years. depends how many false starts you have along the way! are you going to be working as well as phd and dcs?
i had a lot more success when i gave up work i then devoted 15 horus a a week to it plus a couple of evenings and it went better.

wearymum200 Fri 16-Sep-11 19:35:19

3 full days (8 to 430) at work plus 1 to 3 eves per week plus occasioanl weekends. Aiming to submit next summer which will be 4.5 years actual work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now