Talk

Advanced search

Studying at home - what are your top tips?

(14 Posts)
MarioandLuigi Fri 24-Jun-11 20:13:04

I have a place on a distance learning course at the University of Birmingham. I am really excited about it but worry I am going to struggle to keep on top of all the studying/reading etc.

What are your tips on being organised? I am not a naturally organised person so I need all the help I can get!

MsTeak Fri 24-Jun-11 20:22:37

I've just finished 4 years of studying at home, and am even less organised than I was at the start, which wasn't much then! I did get a 2;1 though. grin

Sorry, no help there!

schroeder Fri 24-Jun-11 21:23:02

Are you working as well or taking care of your dc? Are they at school or just tots?

My 2 are both at school, so when I get back from taking them to school I make a brew and start work some times I can manage a few hours sometimes less, but I find if I try to put it off I just can't get started.

Prolesworth Fri 24-Jun-11 21:33:32

Message withdrawn

MarioandLuigi Fri 24-Jun-11 21:35:58

Both DS's will be at school (although DS2 only half days to begin with) and DD will be at preschool 3 mornings a week.

schroeder Fri 24-Jun-11 21:42:45

Ok then try and prioritise the work your dc aren't around, sod shopping, cooking, cleaning all that stuff can be done when they are home, but it really is very difficult to study when there's all those "Mummy?"s.

(hi proles i signed up for DD306 today shock)

Prolesworth Fri 24-Jun-11 21:48:32

Message withdrawn

MarioandLuigi Fri 24-Jun-11 22:24:09

So I have permission to ignore mess grin

I will have contact with the other students via the University's online system. I am really excited and cant wait until the 26th September.

MsTeak Fri 24-Jun-11 23:55:16

I had 2 children in those 4 years too, making 3 in total. I used to write essays while bouncing a baby with my foot. Happy days. smile

You'll love it. And hate it. And then love it again. wink

clutteredup Mon 27-Jun-11 19:02:16

I agree with the others - don't do what I've been doing for the last 6 years - yes and it does help not to have a new baby in the middle - I have been doing y MED for 6 out of the nealr y8 years of DD1s life and allDD2s life, now got the final hurdle (see panicking post elsewhere) and am wishing I had - not moved house, been more organised and not had piles of papers in different places, had a filing system of some kind, not wasted my few precious days free from DC having shopping days out.......
1. be organised and efficient
2. be organised and efficient
3. be organised and efficient....

or muddle through like the rest of us......it is possible just very very very stressful [pulling hair out emoticon]

Socy Tue 28-Jun-11 13:35:03

My top tip would be to unplug the internet smile. Obviously, I haven't done that today....

HumptyDumpty1 Fri 01-Jul-11 21:49:35

Hide the tv remote! It always distracts me...sad

purepurple Sat 02-Jul-11 08:55:00

My top tip is not to leave everything till the last minute.
I have a study area, it's the spare room. It is exclusivly my space. It does help me to have that space just for study. I don't get distracted by looking at the housework that needs doing.
I also have study free days. Essential to stay sane.

redexpat Wed 06-Jul-11 18:41:55

If you are studying in your home:

Tidy the house/room the night before you sit down so you can't be distracted by it.

Have a designated work space (I don't have a desk and it drives me nuts).

Print off the materials you need and then turn the pc/laptop off.

Work out when you are most productive. For me it's 830-130 adn from 7pm-10. I do the housework in between.

If you are having a day where you just can't knuckle down then recognise and accept it and do something else that needs doing. Like organising your files or tidying your work area, or housework or something.

Depending on where you live there may be a better public library, or even a uni library with better work space. I like having the feel of going to work and then stopping when I get home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now