Advanced search

FT Masters - is there funding or not?

(7 Posts)
SuePurblybilt Sat 18-Jun-11 18:17:31

Have just finished degree and am pondering a Masters. my University has one that I can do in a year and a bit - FT for the year and then another 6 months on a research project. I have a place if I want it.

There is a chance I can get a bursary for some of the fees but I am wondering about normal student finance. I've only used up 3 years worth, is it true that I can apply for the loans/grants for another year? For masters level? I know I would get funded for a PGCE but I can't do one (for the next couple of years).

Anyone had a fourth year of finance for a post-grad qualification?

Prolesworth Sun 19-Jun-11 09:08:38

Message withdrawn

SuePurblybilt Sun 19-Jun-11 19:27:57

Thanks Proles. I feared it may be the case sad. I'll ring SF tomorrow in case there's a loophole.

voodoomunkee Sun 19-Jun-11 19:32:05

Hiya, I think the funding you mean is in case you need to take an extra year to complete undergrad. I was much in the same position as you, had a place on a research masters, could get a little money but not enough to cover fees. I therefore am not doing the research masters!

Proles has covered all the funding routes I know apart from to look for a studentship from the university.

I am waiting to hear if I have a place on Social Work for this year. I am going to take another route to get me to where I want to be and I want to retrain at the same time.

Good luck and if you get told by SF that you can have the money come back and let me know! :0

SuePurblybilt Sun 19-Jun-11 19:41:10

I will! I knew there was a floating year, I just hoped I could tweak it a bit grin. I will let you know if I have any luck.

Will you get an extra bursary for the SW masters?

ihatecbeebies Sun 03-Jul-11 13:05:54

In Scotland you get 4 years funding from SAAS, then you can apply for funding after that but it's just your luck, and if you have about 3 years I think of not studying you can apply for funding again from SAAS

Ephiny Sun 03-Jul-11 13:18:23

Is the extra year maybe for if you do a 4-year undergraduate masters, e.g. an MSci or similar?

There is some research council funding around for stand-alone Masters courses, though unfortunately not much and it is competitive. If you're planning to go on to do a PhD afterwards, it is easier to get funding for a 1+3 course, which is what I'm doing. Most people do have to self-fund though sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: