Talk

Advanced search

Have i left it too late?

(13 Posts)
LithaR Fri 17-Jun-11 00:14:20

Hey, need some advice.

I want to return to studying and finish what i wanted to do when i left school in 1997. I'm now thirty and have a son who will be 2 in march.

The only thing is, I keep talking myself out of it because I'm worried I'm too old. sad

Is it worth going back to college at this point?

celadon Fri 17-Jun-11 00:30:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tidybush Fri 17-Jun-11 00:31:04

Yes!!

I was 33 when I went to uni and my DDs were 5 and 8.

I was by no means the oldest there.

Time will pass anyway so it may as well pass with you learning something and getting your qualifications. Don't leave it and look back with regret.

Lorenz Fri 17-Jun-11 07:18:04

i'm going to uni for the first time in September. I'm 30 smile

dotty2 Fri 17-Jun-11 13:37:20

I am 38 and in the first year of a PhD. I am by no means the oldest PhD student - in fact there are some people who are doing them in their retirement (though that's for personal satisfaction, rather than career development). But of course 30, 40 or even 50 is not too old to develop your skills and change direction. You've got a lot of working years left - our generation is not going to be able to retire in their early 50s like lots of our parents. Go for it!

HughManatee Fri 17-Jun-11 14:02:13

It's definitely worth it. I went to university in my mid-30s and there were some students in their 60s.

What are you thinking of studying?

LithaR Fri 17-Jun-11 23:55:55

I want to study maths and physics. Hopefully aim to go into teaching.

Prolesworth Sat 18-Jun-11 08:16:55

Message withdrawn

2plus1 Sat 18-Jun-11 09:52:09

I started my PhD at 32 and am (hopefully) finishing it at 38! I don't feel too old to study at all, although it is different with three children hanging from the apron strings. I think as a mature student you have much advantage over the younger students, life experience, time management, ability to prioritise, more commitment as you are doing it out of your interest etc. I would say to go for it, in my opinion it is never too late smile

HughManatee Sat 18-Jun-11 19:05:21

LithaR good on you grin A degree in Maths and Physics is well worth the money IMO.

rainbowtoenails Wed 22-Jun-11 11:22:34

You're a spring chicken in the mature student world

SarkySpanner Wed 22-Jun-11 11:26:18

I teach in a uni and the mature students are often my favourites smile

What qualifications do you have?
What course are you thinking of taking?

SarkySpanner Wed 22-Jun-11 11:26:48

(although we aern't allowed to call them 'mature' anymore)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now