Talk

Advanced search

How much do you write in exams? OU especially

(10 Posts)
wildstrawberryplace Mon 13-Jun-11 19:27:26

I've never been one for reams and reams of pages, usually used to manage 4 sides of A4 maximum, possibly closer to 3.5.

I got a sheet of exam advice from my tutor recommending "it is best to write fairly large and if you wish on alternate lines" The advice went on to say a "medium sized hand" should produce 4 - 5 sides.

So do you think that means 4-5 sides of alternate lines? I'd seriously struggle to produce 5 sides otherwise!

I know it all depends on words per line but still...

Exam on Weds, can you tell the panic has set in? grin

NotADudeExactly Mon 13-Jun-11 22:14:35

What are you studying?

I have a BA from the OU and a degree in computer science from elsewhere - both very good degrees - and am studying at post-grad level. How much you write will depend greatly on the question.

For my OU social science exams I would usually write some five pages per question; my handwriting is quite large, though. I would reckon some 700 to 1000 words.

In subjects where there is a clear right answer and your line of reasoning need not be made clear, a one line or even one word answer will absolutely do. E.g. in a programming exam, the question "what is the output of this block of code?" can be fully answered with "The word "slime" will be displayed in the centre of the main window of the application" and get full marks.

wildstrawberryplace Mon 13-Jun-11 22:43:49

I was actually just looking for a specific answer related to the alternate spacing issue (ie 4-5 sides not alternate would be 8-10 sides if alternate, but she didn't make it clear if she meant 4-5 sides alternate or not).

I guess a better way of putting it would be how much can you write in 50 mins, I can only usually manage 3-4 sides when writing on every line, probably about 1000 -1200 words...

...but actually just ignore me, I was flapping and it was a silly momentary seeking of reassurance pre- exam. At the end of the day it doesn't matter now what the tutor said or whether she meant double or single spaced, I'm not exactly going to increase productivity just because she said so.

I'll just double space and write as I usually do.

I'm gonna try to relax a bit smile

basingstoke Mon 13-Jun-11 22:52:35

I would freak you out in an exam. I have big writing and write very fast, and am always putting my hand up for more paper grin

Don't fret. It will be fine!

EightiesChick Mon 13-Jun-11 22:57:41

8-10 sides for a single question (in say 1 hour-ish) would be a huge amount. My guess would be she meant 4-5 sides. But don't get hung up on length - it really is about answering the question. It's more useful to focus on that and on organising what you are writing (so that it's not just a random dump of information) than on how much you are writing.

schroeder Wed 15-Jun-11 11:29:32

Hi Strawberry exam day has arrived grin. 2.30pm is harsh I don't know what to do with myself confused.

If it's any help my tutor said about the same as yours and I'm none the wiser smile. When I did some practice questions I managed about 4 pages writhing larger than usual.

I'm so looking forward to this being over.

Good luck

schroeder Wed 15-Jun-11 11:30:24

writing! freudian slip grin

Atwaroverscrabble Wed 15-Jun-11 11:56:01

I'm an a level examiner and I Mark undergrad lab reports in psychology and can honestly say it's not the length but the substance and in fact with lab reports and dissertations the more succinct you can make your answer, providing you include everything you need to, the better!

Mind you I tend to waffle so am pretty glad of the 100,000 word limit on my phd thesis!

wildstrawberryplace Wed 15-Jun-11 19:22:22

schroeder - arf at your freudian slip!

Well, it's over anyway. Thank gawd confused

Hope you it went well for you. Me, if I never lay eyes on a Byron poem again... well that would be just cool grin

schroeder Wed 15-Jun-11 20:16:31

Lordy love a duck I am knackered.

I am so glad I've finished this module-if I'm honest I pretty much hated it from start to finish. As for bloody Childe Harold, the only bits I even looked at were those we went through in my tutorial; I really hate poetry grin.

I know, I will choose my modules with more care next time hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now