Talk

Advanced search

Should I quit my Social Work degree? Hard home/work balance

(6 Posts)
TryLikingClarity Fri 10-Jun-11 13:50:53

Basically:

I took a year out of my degree to have my son, now almost 18 months old.

Just got my results from end of 2nd year and have fecked up half of the modules and they need re-sat.

I have one more year to complete the degree, but with the grades I have so far I know I'm headed for 2:2 or 3rd.

Recently I've wanted to jack it all in, and now I feel that stronger since I've ballsed up my results this year.

I just feel like quitting, getting a job in the care sector and being able to have more flexibility for my DS and DH - no hectic revising, overrunning class times etc.

Can someone please help me with advice, a friendly pat on the back and such like.

TLC

slipperandpjsmum Fri 10-Jun-11 15:22:06

Oh, I am so sorry you are having a difficult time.

The social work degree is really tough and its made all the more challenging for you with ds. Getting through it takes alot of hard work and to get through it you really need to want it, to have the drive to take you through.

You have had a knock to your confidence which is bound to have an impact upon how you feel about yourself and your capability to complete the degree.

Yes, you could leave now and get a job in the care sector, maybe with shifts to fit in with family life. However, as you are so close to the end it does seem a shame. I have never been asked by degree classification infact you only need a 2:1 if you want to do post grad courses although alot accept 2:2 now.

Consider your earning potential. If you qualify you could work part time and still earn more than working full time as many care workers. My job is flexible, as are many social work jobs far more so than care workers. I can fit my hours around my family.

I can't tell you what you should do but try and remember why you wanted to be a social worker in the first place, what was it that drove you to apply, what was lacking in your life that made you think you wanted something more.

Training to be a social worker was one of the hardest things I have ever done, I had a baby part way through like you but when I stood on that stage in my cap and gown I felt a sense of achievement that made my heart skip a beat and now, no matter what I have that qualification. Even now when I ring someone and say I am that child's social worker I feel proud that the thing that I wanted for so long I was able to achive.

Remember nothing is life thats worth having is easy x x x lots of luck and a big empathetic hug

TryLikingClarity Fri 10-Jun-11 16:30:05

Thanks for the reply.

My DH is in a high earning job and tbh, we could afford it if I chose to SAH with DS. I'm in a lucky position that I don't have to work, although I do want to!

The more I think about the stress involved in being a SW and the potential that has to harm DS the less I want to do it. Not that I'm saying SW is an impossible job, what I mean is: DH has a professional job, very high stress and demands a lot of his time and energy. I'm doubting whether it'd be in my families interest for both parents to be in jobs like that.

So many choices to make!

slipperandpjsmum Sat 11-Jun-11 09:26:41

It sounds to me your mind is already made up if you are really honest.

Have the placements helped you by talking to other Mums who are sw about how they manage and what stratergies they have developed over the years?

You are right sw is a high pressure job on lots of levels, alot of the stress does not come from the families at all but other stressors which I won't bore you with. I am in child protection but all areas have their pressures.

There is a high drop out rate on the degree and I always think its a good thing really because people see the job for what it is during placement rather than what they expect it to be. Its a very misunderstood career. When I did my training some people went back to their previous carer job, someone transferred to art therapy, others were taken on from their placement in a support worker role and others just wanted some time out.

Your ds is still very little you could always return to the course when he is older?

Only you know you and your family but I think you have already made the choice.

TryLikingClarity Sun 12-Jun-11 09:11:04

I loved the placement I did - it was in a children's home for teenagers. I found it brilliant to work with the young people, and alongside youth workers, social workers and unqualified staff.

However, at times I felt overwhelmed by the gulf of responsibility between the SW staff and the unqualified staff.

I used to think I wanted a 'powerful job' but since I've had DS I just want something that fits in around my family.

I have a a few close friends who are SW and I spoke to them over the weekend. They said similar to what you say now.

I think my mind is made up and I feel a sense of peace, iyswim?

Thanks again

slipperandpjsmum Sun 12-Jun-11 16:51:41

No problem - its all about whats best for your family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now