Talk

Advanced search

MAY PROCRASTINATION STATION

(206 Posts)
wildstrawberryplace Tue 03-May-11 10:39:45

You that stress where you get so stressed that you become almost paralysed, like a rabbit in the headlights?

That's me.

I'm procrastinating big time.

In fact, even though I have the house to myself and a deadline looming and nothing done, I'm going to watch John Simm on BBC iplayer right now blush

Prolesworth Tue 03-May-11 10:48:09

Message withdrawn

schroeder Tue 03-May-11 12:40:47

Hi wildstrawberryplace and prolesworth here we are againgrin my last TMA is due on the 13th.

I'm not really clear on all this romanticism and Faust-was Goethe even a romantic I thought he wasn't confused.

Have been much distracted by stupid easter holidays and bank holiday overload.

Also quivering with fear re exam in june too <gibber>

wildstrawberryplace Tue 03-May-11 13:15:49

I'm berating myself for not working consistently. I seem to have done the same as I always did in the old days - ie, never do the reading/work beforehand, struggle to submit essays off the cuff, manage to get decent marks somehow, then face exams with only the contents of the essays I submitted and no deep grounding in the subject.

It's crazily stressful! Why do I do it to myself? In the past I managed OK as I've always had good recall, but that was nearly 20 years ago... gulp.

Anyway, 15 minute bursts for me today. I can't contemplate anything other than that for the time being.

wildstrawberryplace Tue 03-May-11 13:18:00

Did I hear you say last ever TMA, proles? Wow! Good going.

schroeder I haven't read Faust yet. Also behind with the units. It doesn't really bode well does it...

schroeder Tue 03-May-11 15:10:45

I've read it, but I don't know what it's got to do with romanticism? Goethe wasn't exactly the typical romantic writer was he?

Tbh I've read all the units, but I wish I hadn't wasted the time on some of them, should have concentrated on the TMA and exam prep hmm

(Brighton pavilion anyone?)

wildstrawberryplace Tue 03-May-11 15:17:41

The way I am approaching it is that as the last TMA, it's got to be a sort of retrospective of the course, situating Romanticism and Enlightenment in a wider context. I think you're right about Goethe but I reckon Faust as a character is pretty symbolic in the Romantic sense - man at the limit of his capabilities, reaching out to what lies beyond...with all the dangers that might entail.

wildstrawberryplace Tue 03-May-11 15:19:57

I'm at the stage now where all I can do is pick my exam topics and read/revise the relevant units only. I don't have time for a wider study now sad (or should that be secretly grin)

said Wed 04-May-11 22:36:26

Love to lurk on these even though I'm TMA-free in May. I recognise eevrything you say, wsp, everything. That whole "strategy" of studying and revising (it's just studying "smartly", surely) and thinking why aren't I an organised person?

winnybella Wed 04-May-11 22:44:50

Yep, me too- tma due in 2 weeks and exam on the 13th of June. I haven't decided yet which option to take for the tma (we have 3 to choose from).

Will be writing about Heart of Darkness and 2 other novels. Don't know which ones yet. Am drinking wine and smoking cigarettes instead of studying. And am engrossed by D.Lodge's Art of Fiction at the mo hmm

wildstrawberry- I almost signed up for the E to R module, but in the end decided to leave it til 2012. I think I had a look at the pass rate etc in the Sesame mag for it and it seems no one got a first on the exam 2 years ago confused

schroeder Thu 05-May-11 10:43:33

winnybella I'm was told that too, hardly anyone gets good marks for A207. It's such a bitty course hopping from one discipline to another, so it's quite hard to build up your knowledge as the course progresses. I'm not sure if it's the same on all OU courses, as this is my 1st, but the way the exam score works so you can't get a better mark than your average TMA score, but you can get a worse one seems a bit harsh.

I certainly wish I'd chosen something else now, but hey ho 1 essay and that pesky exam to go and I can put it behind me. grin

Have started planning my essay and now I've chosen my texts and worked out roughly what I want to say, the extra 500 words doesn't seem too daunting.(ask me again next week when I'm crying into a family pack of twirls though hmm)

Come on you lot get off mumsnet and do some work smile

craftynclothy Thu 05-May-11 12:25:39

Oh I so need to join this thread. Started my course in Feb and have been well ahead with it all, then 2 weeks of Easter holidays plus 2 bank holidays stopped me in my tracks. Of course the break then means I'm out of practice with everything again (computing course) and I need to pick it up, read two units and do my TMA for June 2nd.

I've gone from feeling well in control to not understanding lots of posts on the forum confused.

winnybella Thu 05-May-11 14:06:12

schroeder You mean that the overall score will be the lower one of OCAS and OES- not that the exam score is restricted?

schroeder Thu 05-May-11 14:34:51

It works out the same I think, winnybella, if you average 85% in your TMAs, but get a 65% in your exam, your mark for the whole course will be 65%. Seems pretty tough to me!

I hope I've got it wrong really, hmm will go and have another look....

thejoanwilder Thu 05-May-11 18:41:46

Wow. I just sat my first exam. I haven't done an exam in 8 years. It was pretty brutal! Think I did OK. Not great, and somewhere between looking at my notes and sitting down, some vital words sailed out of my head. Still, one down 5 to go. I think it may have snapped me out of procrastination though. Gotta go into work for a few hours, and then get on with revision for the 2 I have next week sad Sure I will still find a way of avoiding it though. Mumsnet, probably...!

winnybella Thu 05-May-11 20:41:52

Yes, that's right, schroeder, sorry, I thought you said that you couldn't get more for the exam than your ocas average. In the end, it's the lower result and for most people it's the exam. Bit weird, though, if you have 65% average ocas and get 90% on the exam and you still end up with pass 3 hmm. I wish that exam counted more, but then I find it really hard to motivate myself every few weeks to write the tma (didn't submit two on this course).

thejoanwilder- good news that you think you did ok smile.

schroeder Thu 05-May-11 21:12:30

When I read it back it didn't make sense to me either hmm.

It would be nice to think you could get an average of the 2 marks, I know they want to be sure you are actually doing the work, but not everyone is going to do well in exams, personally I'm petrified, I haven't sat an exam since 1991! shock

winnybella Thu 05-May-11 21:28:55

Yea, average would be best. I guess they don't do that because in teory you could have your mum write your tmas and get 100% average and then get 40% on the exam and you would end up with pass 2 iyswim.

I had my first exam in years last summer and even though I froze for the first hour, totally unable to write anything, I got high pass 2. They don't mark them the same as tmas-as long as you know your stuff, they don't care (much) about style etc.

AnnieBesant Thu 05-May-11 21:34:21

I finished my OU degree a while ago, but my experience was that there is some wiggle room re the OCAS and the OES. I did better in my exams than my TMAs in two courses and got the higher level each time. I was effectively awarded my average for the two components.

winnybella Thu 05-May-11 22:20:24

Were you just a bit below the next mark for ocas, Annie? Or did they really bump you up? If you don't mind answering smile I'm hoping for the same thing.

AnnieBesant Thu 05-May-11 22:25:50

I think 80% OCAS and 92% OES for the first one I did IIRC. I definitely thought I was limited to a level 2. Closer for the second one. My TMAs went up and my exam scores went down grin

said Thu 05-May-11 22:29:14

I've sat 3 exams and my exam score has been spookily similar to my TMA average, I think. Had never realised that total score can never be better than exam before (hadn't thought about it) but, from experience, I think they were generous with the marking (or certainly took into account your TMA scores?)

Prolesworth Fri 06-May-11 11:03:58

Message withdrawn

wildstrawberryplace Fri 06-May-11 12:07:01

I am sitting here trying to work, but I cannot make my brain "muscles" contract and form any thoughts. I just can't do it. I feel a curious mixture of boredom, overwhelming despair, and stress that is making me more and more paralysed. I want to lie down on the sofa and stare into space. Actually, I want to just sleep.

Sound familiar?

Oakmaiden Sat 07-May-11 19:56:55

Can I join the May procrastinators, please?

I have, um, 2 essays, 2 exams and a assessed presentation all this month. Which is of course why I am arseing about on Mumsnet instead of getting stuck into it....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now