Talk

Advanced search

Tips for surviving with a new baby - can it be done

(8 Posts)
greenbeanie Tue 04-Jan-11 21:16:32

Really beginning to panic now, am in the 2nd year of a 3 year full time degree course, in addition to having a part time job. I have just had dc3 (now 7 weeks old) and will be returning to college in mid-feb. The course is a distance away and held at weekends so DH will be looking after the children whilst I leave at 7am saturday morning, returning at 7pm on sunday. The college have been great putting on 2 extra 1-2-1 tuition days to help me catch up but at present I just feel overwhelmed at the prospect of doing the course or going back.

There is no option to defer the course and I couldn't afford to drop out, nor would I want to as it is something I have always dreamt of doing. BUT, I am dreading leaving my little baby, not seeing her for 2 days and dealing with all the practicalities of expressing milk etc.

Any tips or advice gratefully received either with coping with the practicalities or emotional aspect, I can just see me spending most of my time crying when at college!!

thisisyesterday Tue 04-Jan-11 21:19:31

can you not take the baby with you?

i have to say, there is no way on earth i could have left a baby that small all weekend every weekend. sorry. i know that isn't what you want to hear

greenbeanie Tue 04-Jan-11 21:27:09

I know thisisyesterday, that is exactly what I am worried about, I don't think I can do this. There is no way that I can take her with me really unless I can get someone to look after my older 2dc and get dh to come with me and the baby, even if only for the 1st weekend.

i shall have to see what I can come up with, but longer term I shall have to go without her.

thisisyesterday Tue 04-Jan-11 21:34:53

yeah i was thinking about just having her in a sling and BF discreetly if she whimpers. i guess that partly depends on what kind of baby she is though.
would they be very against that?

or could you take a friend to help look after her?

just for the first couple of months or something? that would enable you to build up a supply of expressed milk too

greenbeanie Tue 04-Jan-11 21:39:05

I have been building up a supply since birth, all carefully stored in the freezer. I have thought about having her with me but it is not really practical on the course. I am training as an acupuncturist so the course involves consultations with patients and practical work, so not just sitting in lectures unfortunately. I'm not sure what a patient would think if I sat there feeding a baby during a consultation!! grin

thisisyesterday Tue 04-Jan-11 21:40:04

ahhh yes, that would be interesting!

i hope someone else can come along soon and tell you that they've done this and it was fine!

greenbeanie Tue 04-Jan-11 21:42:20

Thanks....so do I!

TheSkiingGardener Sun 16-Jan-11 14:58:11

I am also doing a course where I am away one weekend a month but only have 1 DS who is now 7 months. We are very fortunate to have a trends house we can use near the course and it made it quite easy, even with expressing and everything. The first weekend was when he was 3 weeks old and I actually enjoyed getting away for 10 hours each day!

Is there any way you could get a Travelodge room as a family or something for the first couple of months. DH and the older DC's could treat is as a weekend treat? While what you are proposing is possible it would be very very tough. Good luck with however you decide to do it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: