Talk

Advanced search

BA or BSc?

(8 Posts)
HellaH Tue 04-Jan-11 10:33:02

I have transfered my credits to the OU and will finish off my studies with them. My transferred credits have been equally weighted against BA and BSc and the courses I am taking with the OU are also equally weighted against these and I will get to choose which one I want.

So which one looks best on a CV? Does it matter?

I am new in the UK and don't know much about how these things work here...

HellaH Tue 04-Jan-11 10:35:53

Sorry about the spelling...

WingDad Tue 04-Jan-11 10:39:57

Well it depends what the course is. Some courses are specifically BA or BSc (History BA, French BA, Chemistry BSc etc.), so it's irrelevant which is better! However there are some courses which are available in BA or BSc. I think Psychology is one.

To be honest, I don't think either is looked upon more favourably, it may depend on what sort of job you were looking for. I would think that BSc is more scientific analysis based, whereas BA is more knowledge based.

Hope that helps.

ABitBatty Tue 04-Jan-11 10:43:31

Bsc = Bachelor of Science
BA = Bachelor of Arts
smile

HellaH Tue 04-Jan-11 10:47:09

Thank you both for answering! The courses I will be taking with the OU are available in both BA and BSc, it's environmental studies. I've studied energy technology previously so I suppose a BSc will be more appropriate for the jobs I will be going for?

belgo Tue 04-Jan-11 10:48:33

I would choose the BSc for environmental studies.

WingDad Tue 04-Jan-11 10:49:19

I guess so yes, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if you studied it BA; it's still a high-level education certificate!

HellaH Tue 04-Jan-11 11:18:39

Thanks all!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: