Talk

Advanced search

Just about to start my TMA & I don't understand the question [sad]

(33 Posts)
KatyMac Fri 17-Dec-10 20:49:05

I feel such a pratt - I've done all the back up work.....& now I am stuck

"Provide either:
. A report on a management control problem.
OR
. A report on an information problem."

Duh - that's not much info

KatyMac Fri 17-Dec-10 21:21:57

Recruiting staff, induction & training

Is management control or information??

InkyStamp Fri 17-Dec-10 22:25:04

Hang on will ask DH when he is off the phone...

KatyMac Fri 17-Dec-10 22:26:13

I could use a control loop with feed back (management control) or I could use barrier to communication

Thanks

southeastastra Fri 17-Dec-10 22:27:21

worded by prats! whats a tma?

KatyMac Fri 17-Dec-10 22:28:15

Tutor marked assignment

I have a proforma to put my answer into

KatyMac Sat 18-Dec-10 07:39:39

Back at this

Out at 9 so we will see how I do

santascupcakes Sat 18-Dec-10 14:14:24

So first of all start by describing what a management control/information problem is.

Then give examples, maybe say how they can be managed and/or spiral ut of control (depending on the info you have studied. If you have any case studies mention them here).

Then state your conclusion.

I always start my essay's by putting down points that I know could be used, then I organise them into these areas and write from there.

Hope it goes well.

KatyMac Sat 18-Dec-10 14:39:49

Thanks - an essay I could cope with.....it's a report shock

Back at the desk now (well the sofa...but anyway)

KatyMac Sat 18-Dec-10 16:40:25

OK I have started writing after listing all the theories

That way while writing I can add the theory (and the page number to the references) as I go

Depending upon which (communication or management control) has the most theories I will rewrite it slanted that way

I think....maybe

KatyMac Sat 18-Dec-10 17:18:57

Whoopie

I have 218 words

<gulp>

KatyMac Sat 18-Dec-10 20:00:27

& that's all I have <bugger>

KatyMac Sun 19-Dec-10 07:58:55

Back at it

Come on, encourage me........please [begs]

purepurple Sun 19-Dec-10 08:23:24

Katymac, at least it's a written assignment grinOn Wednesday, I had to deliver a 15 minute powerpoint presentation on social policy that affects early years. I was very nervous, made worse by the tutor filmimg it!
What's your word count?

KatyMac Sun 19-Dec-10 08:39:55

OMG

I couldn't do that.....actually I possibly could I am very happy standing up & talking, waving my hands, and getting audience participation

KatyMac Sun 19-Dec-10 08:40:05

purepurple Sun 19-Dec-10 09:04:01

There was no audience participation, just silence, and the eyes of the tutor boring into my soul.
I always leave assignments to the last minute, it's like I need that pressure to actually complete the damn thing. Good luck, keep typing away.

KatyMac Sun 19-Dec-10 09:15:18

While I have you here.....

Talking about known & unknown Problems & solutions wrt training staff

I have a known problem
Familiarity with Katymac's policies & Procedures.
& a known solution
Solved by providing copies to read and time to discuss them with Manager/Deputy.

I have an unknown problem (at least I think it is unknown)
Variable level of behaviour management experience.
& a known solution
Solved by observation, role-modelling, discussions about best practise and acceptable sanctions.

Struggling with
Known problem unknown solution
& unknown problem unknown solution

I am thinking that how well the team 'gels' (or not) might be the known problem unknown solution??

What do you think?

& can you think of an unknown problem/solution?

KatyMac Sun 19-Dec-10 09:15:59

God, not AP - I'd have died

purepurple Sun 19-Dec-10 09:28:07

Team building is very important. Look at Belbin for team roles. You could also look at John Adair and his management theory, which includes teams and individuals.
Have you thought about conflict management?
I'm not really understanding what you are writing about. I'm sure we are making it harder than it actually is (which is my big problem. I always look too deep)
Anyway, an unknown problem? Bit vague, that! How about prejudice and discrimination? How people feel about other people because of their race/colour and religion will affect how they trat them(although they may not admit it)
For example, my manager favours middle class professional full time parents over part time non-working parents with drug issues. deputy manager steers away from children with additional needs. They wouldn't admit it, but I can see it in their practice. There is no solution as I am not in a position to do anything about it. They would just deny it.

KatyMac Sun 19-Dec-10 09:30:00

I think that last bit is a known problem unknown solution....maybe

What I have written is all that is needed - just sentences

Belbin is good (I like him) but not on the course

purepurple Sun 19-Dec-10 09:32:20

Can you not use any books you like then?

KatyMac Sun 19-Dec-10 09:37:12

No it's a major failing of OU imo

KatyMac Sun 19-Dec-10 10:01:57

The creation of cohesive team is known problem with an unknown solution

The ability of the employees to absorb and action the training is an unknown problem with an unknown solution

I think maybe??

purepurple Sun 19-Dec-10 10:10:55

I agree. Creating a team is difficult. You might have all the individual members you need, but if they just don't get on, then you can't really fix that. Unless you get rid of the team and start again. I agree with the second point too. Training is provided, doesn't mean it will change the way a person practices. It's all down to personality and charcteristics, and if they are inate, then they can't be changed.
Oh, I would hate to be told which books I had to use. It's part of the fun of research. Finding out facts and figures that nobody else will use. It must be very dull for the tutor, everyone's assignments must be very similiar.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: