Talk

Advanced search

PGCE/PGDE or B.ED which is most fun and most employable?

(7 Posts)
escorchio Fri 01-Oct-10 12:33:11

After some years of loving helping out in school, running clubs etc. and being an active governor, I've decided I want to actually teach.

I didn't finish my (not relevant) degree first time round (long and boring story), but am now doing an OU course. I started it to prove to admissions that I was capable of study - exams were so long ago I need to, and just for the sheer joy of it.

I'm loving the OU study, and doing really well. BUT I am old, so time is of the essence, and if I continue this way, it will take me 3 or 4 (or more) years to do a degree, and I'll have to do a PGCE after. Alternatively I could keep with the OU for just this year, to prove I can study (and get some credits) and apply for B.Ed.

We're in Scotland.

What do you think - any advice at all gratefully received. smile

mnistooaddictive Fri 01-Oct-10 15:45:26

Are thinking of Primary or secondary. If secondary, which subject? I think there are problems in scotland with lots of qualified teachers being unable to find jobs.

escorchio Fri 01-Oct-10 16:32:02

Primary.

It's the lack of jobs I'm mainly worried about. Does anyone know if B.Eds find jobs more easily that PGDE?

I think in my ideal world I'd do a Bsc (Hons) Psychology then PGDE. However if B.Eds are more employable, then I'd be prepared to be less self indulgent, and focus on the end result, if you can see what I mean.

Thanks,

mnistooaddictive Fri 01-Oct-10 16:41:59

My SIL who teaches primary reckons Bed are more popular but she may be biased wink.

loopyloops Fri 01-Oct-10 16:44:31

for primary I'd say B.Ed. Secondary you can't use that.
degree + PGCE takes longer, but doesn't make you any more employable.

Both courses are fun AFAIK.

Good luck

tabulahrasa Fri 19-Nov-10 19:36:28

PGDE - you get to do a 'real' degree first, which is nice if you enjoy the subject

Bed - it's more thorough imo, they teach you how to be a teacher rather than most of it being done on the job

that's not to say they don't teach you anything on a PGDE, just that it's a different way of doing it as you have shoter periods in uni between placements

I don't think either matters as far as empoyability, the job situation is absolutely dire either way at the moment, lol

I'd think about doing the psychology degree as you'd enjoy it and it might give the job situation some extra time to sort itself out - and it leaves you with more options if yyou change your mind about teaching

mustdash Mon 22-Nov-10 14:32:36

Thanks everyone. We're thinking about moving in the next year, so sticking with Psychology for the meantime makes most sense, then I can do PGDE/PGCE depending on where we are living at the end! [smile}

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: