Talk

Advanced search

The Handmaid's Tale, Season 3: speculation, trailers and spoilers...

(86 Posts)
SophieCatScribbles Sat 16-Feb-19 20:53:41

Here we go. Just how wild a ride will Season 3 be compared to Seasons 1 and 2?!
WARNING*: EXPECT SPOILERS.

Here's some info about the new series from Digital Spy...
https://youtu.be/jRiikFi9RNU

And the Season 3 Super Bowl ad...
https://youtu.be/Hu0a77_JydA

And an interview with the gorgeously talented Joseph Fiennes about the new series:
https://youtu.be/npf5vN0FnuQ

Let the speculation and spoilers commence!

Florenceflamingo Sat 16-Feb-19 20:55:50

I'm so excited. Its June its released yeah?

SophieCatScribbles Sat 16-Feb-19 20:59:56

I think so, although I'm pretty sure they haven't confirmed it yet.

I love the idea of June going back in as a Martha, at least to start with. From the Series 2 finale, they seemed to be quite an organised resistance group to have got the baby out like they did.

Even better, good old He-Was-Never-Going-To-Be-A-Baddie Bradley Whitford returns as the mad inventor of Gilead, keen to right his wrongs. I hope he helps June!

Florenceflamingo Sat 16-Feb-19 21:03:13

Oooh great I love him! I wonder if Emily got out and if we'll find out aunt Lydia's backstory.

SilverBirchTree Sat 16-Feb-19 21:06:07

I'm still pretty annoyed at the season 2 ending TBH. It was just a really implausible choice for that character to make, and it felt like a betrayal to the audience who had stuck with such gruesome viewing because of the 'truth' at the heart of it.

Also - How the fuck was the baby going to be fed now? The people helping them escape assumed the mother was coming so I doubt they have formula or whatever..

SophieCatScribbles Sat 16-Feb-19 21:07:27

I really hope so. Aunt Lydia must have some truly hellish backstory to have become the complex, nightmare character she is!

Just found another interview with Joseph. He says that "the Commander doesn't change his character", and that "June gets some revenge towards the latter half of Series 3". I'm wildly paraphrasing there, but that was roughly it!

https://youtu.be/xAFmDyjvb04

SophieCatScribbles Sat 16-Feb-19 21:12:19

Know what you mean, SilverBirchTree. After everything that underlined how dangerous Gilead is for girls and women in ANY position, why risk your own life AND your daughter's by returning? Once she and Nick had effectively stamped on Waterfords nads in that finale, her daughter was already going to be at risk...

Equally, I kind of understand why she felt she couldn't leave Hannah. But yes - how the hell does poor Emily feed a baby on that long, cold, gruesome, dangerous trip? If they kill June and Nick's baby off for plot development, I swear I'll switch off...

Florenceflamingo Sat 16-Feb-19 21:19:02

Yeah, I hope the baby gets out to Luke. I wonder how the situation in Canada will go and if there will be change there too.

AcrossthePond55 Sat 16-Feb-19 21:57:56

US premiere of season 3 is 5 June. I'm not seeing anything about a different date for the UK premiere which will be nice. I remember during season 2 we had to have separate threads so those of us in the US didn't 'spoil' it for UK viewers since we were (IIRC) 3 episodes ahead!

SophieCatScribbles Sat 16-Feb-19 22:26:14

Thanks AcrossThePond55 - good to have that date confirmed 👍. I'm betting we'll see it in the UK on Channel 4 a few months later unfortunately,

It's one reason I didn't state US or UK timeline - the more information the better, lol. News leaks out anyway, and I can choose whether to look at the info or not!

SophieCatScribbles Sat 16-Feb-19 22:36:45

Does anyone think that Serena will abandon Fred to join the resistance (now that he'll have his suspicions about her and she's seen the extent of his savagery)? Or will she stay with him and claim innocence?

What will the consequences be for Nick? They had better not kill Nick off. He and June are the only - ONLY - good thing to have come out of Gilead, and the producers would be insane and sick to destroy that frail hope now. Whether they intended it or not, they created a hope right there with those two. Personally I think its way too late for June to reunite with Luke now. They've been apart too long, and he has absolutely no idea what she's gone through in Gilead. Only Nick has that understanding and he is June's rock now. Luke wasn't a bad guy, but he didn't react with much concern when the sinister signs of the coming storm appeared, with the cutting of women's rights etc, and it was only thanks to June pushing it that the three of them got as far as they did. With all June's research in the Boston Globe offices, I think that wasn't lost on her. She still loves Luke because of the family they were, but they can't go back...she is now in love with Nick now, and I hope her (and hopefully Holly/Simone's) future lies with him,

They'd better get started on some pretty substantial revenge and resistance storylines early on in this series, because if they send June to some other horror show yet again, or back to the Waterfords, I think there'd be a revolt!

Aridane Sun 17-Feb-19 11:31:46

For reason 2, Reddit had shockingly accurate spoilers, particularly for the last two episodes and poor Eden.

Might pop over to Reddit to see if there is anything there (but find reddit really difficult to use).

SophieCatScribbles Sun 17-Feb-19 11:48:24

Good idea, Aridane. Know what you mean about Reddit 🙄 not the easiest sometimes...
I'll have a look later too. Think there were some extras from the filming who'd leaked a few snippets in Series 2 so hopefully the same will happen again!

beanaseireann Sun 17-Feb-19 11:49:31

Thanks for this thread SophieCatScribbles.
We in Ireland got Season 2 before UK, but after US.

SophieCatScribbles Sun 17-Feb-19 12:20:59

👍 I couldn't wait any more, lol

SophieCatScribbles Sun 17-Feb-19 12:28:53

Found this on Reddit...

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheHandmaidsTale/comments/arjez0/spoilerss3e11_thisimaginee_doesntfilll_me_with/?st=JS8VYK5S&sh=1a997b74

Not quite sure what to make of it. Hope it's just a flashback/dream/nightmare device type of thing.

SophieCatScribbles Sun 17-Feb-19 12:31:53

There's a lot of speculation on this Reddit thread...

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheHandmaidsTale/?st=JS8W3YYE&sh=35a28b24

SophieCatScribbles Sun 17-Feb-19 12:34:33

This post is interesting as to what that photo might suggest.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheHandmaidsTale/comments/arawt4/spoilerss33_e1theoriess_aboutyesterdayss_filming/?st=JS8W5S3J&sh=b47e649a

SophieCatScribbles Sun 17-Feb-19 12:35:56

Here's the pic itself: (I hope!)

https://i.redd.it/baljzj4ov3h21.jpg

SophieCatScribbles Sun 17-Feb-19 12:42:41

This is four short video clips of the filming connected to that photo. Looks like some kind of staged event. Interestingly, you see June waiting at the top of the steps and she doesn't have the gag thing on - so maybe it is a staged thing that she's agreed to do?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt68WH-hXFh/?utmsource=igg_webbuttonn_share_sheet

SophieCatScribbles Sun 17-Feb-19 12:49:25

Another pic. Gorgeous weather. Hideous place...

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheHandmaidsTale/comments/aqyuzc/spoilerss3e11_caughtthemm_filming/?st=JS8WQ06O&sh=fc720304

Aridane Sun 17-Feb-19 15:13:40

Ooh - I'll take a look at all those links when I've got a better internet connection

SophieCatScribbles Sun 17-Feb-19 20:58:49

Photos from the official Handmaid's Tale Instagram page. One of which shows clearly that Max Minghella (aka Nick) IS in Season 3. Thank goodness!

Maneandfeathers Tue 19-Feb-19 19:00:07

Just binged both series this weekend.

Can’t wait to see if she eventually reunited with luke and Moira. I hope so!

Thisisthelaststraw Wed 20-Feb-19 00:13:11

Also just binge watched the first 2 seasons. It was horrifying but very good. I thought about buying the book to see what happens as I couldn’t stand the thought of waiting to see if it all worked for June but apparently the book isn’t only available on back order and not released until September anyway.

The story gave me the rage but I need to know June is okay in the end. Makes me feel a bit like Kathy Bates character in Misery grin

tellmewhenthespaceshiplandscoz Sun 10-Mar-19 20:13:00

So so so excited for HM returning. Seeing the shot of the National Mall with the huge white cross at the end in the trailer was very chilling shock

ArabellaDoreenFig Wed 24-Apr-19 18:47:56

Just placemarking.
Under His eye!

Can’t wait for the 3rd series !

SophieCatScribbles Thu 25-Apr-19 23:16:33

Nor me! In the UK here as well, so we have to wait even longer! Noooooooo!

WitchSharkadder Sun 28-Apr-19 11:46:29

@Thisisthelaststraw the original book is available (was released back in 1985) and is brilliant. However, it ends where series 1 ends.

The Testaments, which is the sequel to the book is released in September but has no connection at all to the TV series and will be completely different.

I can’t wait for S3. Since we’re allowed spoilers and wild speculation on this thread, I’ve heard a rumour that Luke gets baby Holly/Nicole but Serena has a change of heart about giving her up so she makes a deal with him to exchange the baby for Hannah. They have a meeting in an airport where the swap takes place.

This came from an extra via Instagram, apparently and has since been deleted.

SophieCatScribbles Sun 28-Apr-19 12:15:44

WitchSharkadder No way!! Oh my word, that would be huge... I hope it's not true. Although I want her to get Hannah back, it would be heartbreaking to have her and Nick give up their baby and the one good thing that's come out of Gilead for them...plus their own daughter would be indoctrinated into the Gilead world and would be at the mercy of the Commander. That would be a horrific thought...
Imagine if they met their daughter years later and she was fully Gilead (like Nick's 'wife', poor girl) - that would be a terrible thing.
I want June and Nick, and Serena and the Martha, to be able to start on the path towards escape and the bringing down of Gilead. They could happily spend the next seven seasons doing that and not spend 6 of them with extended different ways of torturing the women before doing a quick "and they all escaped and Gilead went down, the end" bit at the end of the last season!

WitchSharkadder Sun 28-Apr-19 12:25:14

Have you seen these pics from filming? Luke with a baby suggest Emily definitely does make it to Canada and hands Holly over to Luke.

And the second one is just horrific! sad

YesimstillwatchingNetflix Sun 28-Apr-19 13:36:29

Oh gosh, after seeing that second photo I don't know if I can stomach this show any longer. It's too terrifying.

WitchSharkadder Wed 01-May-19 22:26:01

Have you all seen the trailer released today?

SophieCatScribbles Tue 14-May-19 18:27:47

This is a trailer and a half!

Speculation will be rife...

https://dai.ly/x777mnl

SophieCatScribbles Wed 15-May-19 22:46:05

Not sure if the other trailer link worked. I love the scene at the end with June and Serena sitting on loungers by the pool, smoking together...!

https://youtu.be/s6pnCeFmW8s

WitchSharkadder Thu 16-May-19 19:13:45

Yes, that’s the trailer I was referring to, Sophie. I love that scene too.

I wish C4 would hurry up and give us a UK release date, it’s going to be very hard to not be tempted to google spoilers if we’re really far behind.

SophieCatScribbles Thu 16-May-19 19:24:27

So true, Witch! I managed to watch a lot of last season on one of those streaming services so I saw it at the same time. Don't think I'd have survived otherwise! Before I found that I was living off spoilers 😂

SophieCatScribbles Thu 16-May-19 19:29:12

I read that after Emily's sadly unsuccessful murder attempt on her, Aunt Lydia goes full psycho on the 'girls' (god knows what that'll be like - I thought she was brutal enough already) and that the hideous mouth stapling is part of her new attempts to control them.

I wish this show - and others like it - would stop trying to bring in worse and worse horror and gore. We don't need it to get any worse. Every woman who's watched this is already slightly traumatised by the gruesome stuff the handmaids have gone through 😕. A lot of people switched off the second series because they couldn't handle it...

RubberTreePlant Thu 16-May-19 19:32:03

Checking in.

Threeminis Thu 16-May-19 20:14:50

Such a great series.

tellmewhenthespaceshiplandscoz Fri 17-May-19 11:30:52

Wow that trailer! Almost felt emotional to watch. I agree about the need the writers have to come up with darker and more brutal punishments, it's not necessary.

I've started watching Kims Convenience on Netflix and the actress that plays Rita has popped up in it! Been bugging me where I recognised her from. I think I'll stop watching that for now and keep it so I can watch an episode after THT each week to lift my mood confused

Anyway fellow fans I've only just spotted the fact this thread will include spoilers so I'm bowing out and will jump on a real time thread when it pops up instead but I've enjoyed reading this one especially as no one I know in real life watches the show (I know, WTF?!!!). Enjoy the show everyone, see you at the other side I. Cannot. Wait

Under his eye smile

MooBaaLaLaLa Mon 20-May-19 23:21:16

Cheers for the trailer. I'm really undecided about watching this series.
I loved the first one but didn't like the second, it really dragged in parts and the ending was daft. I'd made up my mind to give up on it but I'm wavering now...

beanaseireann Wed 22-May-19 18:59:15

I'm hoping we in Ireland get it before the UK as happened for the last series.
I found it difficult viewing.
Could The Handmaids Tale be prescient when one thinks of the recent change in abortion law in Alabama ?

DarkDarkNight Thu 23-May-19 21:52:20

Joining. Getting very excited about this now.

I had a lump in my throat when I saw Luke with the baby.

Can’t wait to see what happens next.

SophieCatScribbles Fri 24-May-19 20:24:10

I think the whole series is enormously prescient when you think of the terrible state of the world and it's politics - and of course the falling birth rates in developed countries...

A good reason to watch and stay alert. We mustn't turn a blind eye to it all.

beanaseireann Sat 25-May-19 10:58:58

Any date yet for Channel 4 ?

SophieCatScribbles Sat 25-May-19 14:27:23

This is from the Radio Times here in the UK:

"The Handmaid’s Tale begins on Wednesday 5th June 2019 in the US on Hulu. Channel 4 will broadcast the show at a later date in the UK"

They say later that the previous seasons have started approximately one month later in the US, so we should expect a start date early in July!

7Days Sun 26-May-19 00:55:54

It's being aired on RTE2 on thurs 6th June

WitchSharkadder Wed 29-May-19 13:13:42

https://vimeo.com/338504037

Very spoilery clip for those of you don't mind such things. Don't click if you don't want to know anything!

WitchSharkadder Wed 29-May-19 16:26:25

We have a UK date! Season 3 starts Sunday 9th June at 9pm! grin

SophieCatScribbles Wed 29-May-19 17:52:56

Oh nooooooooooooooooo.....

So Nicole did get out, but somehow Fred has enough power over June (again 🙄) to force her to call Luke and get him to bring the baby to the darn Waterfords 😕...well that's not going to end well. What the hell happened? Did June get caught so quickly? I thought this season was going to be about the beginnings of resistance and June getting away from those damn snakes 🤬. But no, she's back in a Handmaid's uniform and getting pushed around by Fred...

Serena: "I protected your wife".
Me: Um, no. You abusive cow. You did not.

Already hacked off, lol. Going to be a rough ride....again....brace yourselves

beanaseireann Wed 29-May-19 23:47:35

Thank you 7Days

BettysLeftTentacle Thu 30-May-19 21:19:26

I’m so looking forward to this but between this and Years and Years on BBC1, by Autumn I think I will just want the planet to stop spinning so I can jump off!

And God help me if season 3 starts as spectacularly as season 2 did.....

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sun 02-Jun-19 09:55:45

In season 2 I used to read the US reviews ahead of watching the UK episodes, so I knew what was going to happen. I found the episodes much more enjoyable (if that's the right word) if I wasn't on a knife edge wondering if June was going to escape that episode. I will plan to do the same this season too.

I'm disappointed to hear that she is likely back in the Waterfords house. I thought the dynamic between the three of them was very interesting, but by the end of season 2 I'd very much tired of the feeling of her being trapped there. Whilst I get that is the reality of women in these societies, from a viewer perspective I don't want to watch misery without end!

SophieCatScribbles Sun 02-Jun-19 10:51:17

Completely agree, Hopelessly... We had enough horror and brutality - think a lot of women found it quite traumatic to watch those first two seasons. It was only the hope of escape and rebellion (and the romance of Nick and June) that kept a lot of us going. To be back with the bloody Waterfords again is just resetting the same starting point of that misery. Why? June back with the Waterfords, Aunt Lydia back and tyrannical as ever (or worse, if that's possible), and Serena back to being a repressive cow.

We know from the spoilers that there is some rebellion, collaboration and hope...but by god it looks like they're going to put us through the mill again. Maybe the more hopeful clips we've been drip-fed come later in the series... I can't bear to watch any of them be raped or tortured again 😕. That has been done quite enough. We get it. Men control the women, body and mind. Enough.

A ten-series arc (proposed by the creators I think 🙄 both men) would be horrifically drawn out, and would inevitably be self-indulgent by the writers - and a brutal, oppressive nightmare for the women watching and hoping. The world is unjust enough - we know this. We need hope, and for things to start to change pretty damn quickly this season or we won't be able to stomach it.

beanaseireann Sun 02-Jun-19 11:29:37

It's starting this Thursday on RTE 1 ( Irish national broadcaster). It's a double bill.
When does it start on Channel 4

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sun 02-Jun-19 19:55:32

I would be very interested to find out Aunt Lydia's back story. It was frustrating in season 2 that she appeared to be the cruelest character on screen, more so than the men running and benefitting the society! It would be good to show how she became so misogynistic, and that she isn't truly in power in Gilead, only within a narrow range the men permit her.

Yes there was too much torture which seemed meaningless plot wise, it felt voyeuristic to watch at times. The torture/ rape scenes fitted when they were plot driven or developed characters, eg Emily and Serena's surgeries, June being raped in the hotel, although they were upsetting they were shown to develop the viewer's understanding of the story (the hotel scene we learnt about Waterford, that he genuinely thought she was enjoying him). Some of the other scenes felt completely gratuitous and unnecessary though, if they had cut them the story would be unaffected, and I felt like I was watching a very different type of show!

My favourite season 2 bits were when the show moved away from the same old and had some lighter moments - the trip to Canada, Commander Lawrence (awesome), it felt that the series was moving on.

Aridane Wed 05-Jun-19 19:41:42

I binge watched the first 3 episodes v early this morning.

Is there a thread to discuss?

Aridane Wed 05-Jun-19 19:54:29

Ah found the other thread for US pace - nobody commenting on the x3 shown episodes yet!

AcrossthePond55 Thu 06-Jun-19 00:27:22

@Aridane

Can you link to the Season 3 US pace thread, please? Is it a new thread or new posts on our old one? From S 2?

I'm going to start looking for it. I've watched 2 episodes and will watch the 3rd tonight.

Aridane Thu 06-Jun-19 07:23:08

Here it is - and I’ve asked MNHQ to change the thread’s title to make it clearer that it’s about season 3 and at US pace

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/telly_addicts/3600649-HBO-Handmaids-Tale

Aridane Thu 06-Jun-19 07:24:17

PS I remember you from our Season 2 thread which from memory ran to x2 threads. Let’s see if season 3 attracts as much interest!

SophieCatScribbles Thu 06-Jun-19 08:40:14

Ariadne - you can discuss everything here! It's why the title clearly says 'spoilers'. This isn't a thread waiting for the UK showing to start smile

SophieCatScribbles Thu 06-Jun-19 08:41:59

I've just read an Ep 1 review and it sounds interesting. Love that June gets found by Cmdr Lawrence...of all people out in Gilead that night!

AcrossthePond55 Thu 06-Jun-19 14:04:58

I ended up starting a US pace thread with a spoilers warning.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/telly_addicts/3605041-Handmaid-s-Tale-Season-3-US-PACE-Spoilers-for-UK-viewers

beanaseireann Fri 07-Jun-19 18:56:56

Season 3 has begun on RTE 2 - Irish television last night with a double bill. I've recorded it and am psyching myself up to watch it

SophieCatScribbles Sun 09-Jun-19 18:04:36

^THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS^ wink

Well, episodes 1-3 were so interesting! I love that Serena is gradually coming round to things, and that the women are bonding a lot more. About time Serena got down off her high horse and realised the hell that they created.

I found this trailer for episode 4 - looks like Aunt Lydia really has turned monstrous 😕. Much more violent - thank goodness Emily is out of there or I don't like to imagine the torture Lydia would inflict on her.

https://youtu.be/-7qo4XVSqxU

SophieCatScribbles Mon 10-Jun-19 15:31:38

Found this hilarious montage of the cast dances...brilliant stuff. Lovely to see Serena and Fred having fun!

https://youtu.be/O83ecjmsveY

Maneandfeathers Mon 10-Jun-19 21:34:14

Where have you found episodes 2-3?
I’ve seen episode 1 on channel 4?

SophieCatScribbles Mon 10-Jun-19 22:01:27

I found them on a YouTube channel called The Handmaids Tale, where each episode is split into 4 or 5 parts. It's not the best quality, but I was desperate lol.

I found this interview with the actors who play June, Nick, Rita, Cmdr Lawrence and Janine from a few days ago...

https://youtu.be/pLkPjURwlJ0

Maneandfeathers Mon 10-Jun-19 22:13:02

Ah thanks Sophie! It’s annoying they won’t just release the lot I like to binge grin

SophieCatScribbles Mon 10-Jun-19 23:13:47

I know! Drives you spare, doesn't it?!

We're all so used to on-demand tv series and binging on three years worth of a tv show in a weekend, it seems a huge hardship to wait a week between each episode. This season it'll make me want to chew furniture I think lol.

Excellent way of Hulu securing our money!

beanaseireann Tue 11-Jun-19 08:57:51

I just couldn't binge watch The Handmaids Tale. shock
It takes me all I can do to watch a single episode at a time.
I force myself to sit down and watch it - particularly the first season. It was unremittingly gloomy, sad and dark.

SophieCatScribbles Tue 11-Jun-19 11:42:33

I know what you mean, Bean. One at a time is enough misery for a day.

In the SAG-AFTRA interview I posted below, Elizabeth Moss says that in this series they break June - she said that they had to break her to make her become the leader she needs to be. I groaned at that - don't like the sound of it. She was already thoroughly broken by the two previous series - I don't know if I can take something even worse for her. Especially if it's losing Nick (that's a wild, worse-case, no evidence to back it up, hope it doesn't happen kind of thought).

Moss did say "don't worry, she doesn't stay broken" but I just hate the thought of it. Bloody writers need to stop with the misery and realise that we need change now, and not change that involves 8 episodes of June being tortured in mental anguish...😕. I will have everything crossed.

beanaseireann Tue 11-Jun-19 16:06:09

Oh God SophieCatScribbles, I'm not sure I can take the "breaking of June".

applepineapple Wed 12-Jun-19 22:01:12

Just watched episode 4, anyone else seen it yet?

SophieCatScribbles Wed 12-Jun-19 23:06:38

No! What happened? Where did you watch it?!

AcrossthePond55 Thu 13-Jun-19 01:40:13

@applepineapple

We have a US pace thread going and are starting to discuss Episode 4 now. C'mon over!

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/telly_addicts/3605041-Handmaid-s-Tale-Season-3-US-PACE-Spoilers-for-UK-viewers?msgid=87774129

SophieCatScribbles Thu 13-Jun-19 19:15:03

This was already a thread for discussing THT, both US and UK - I clearly put that it included spoilers etc 😕

SophieCatScribbles Thu 13-Jun-19 19:30:52

If you start a different thread to talk about the same topic because you don't like my thread for some reason, okay, but please don't keep coming to advertise it here. I deliberately didn't put 'US pace' or anything - just made it a general thread for Handmaid's Tale Series 3 discussion and said it contained spoilers etc. I don't get why you felt you had to make another...

I'd never made a series thread before and have been enjoying the discussion. I can't get out so it's a good distraction from pain. If you've got lots of people who've joined your thread, great, but please don't advertise it on mine. I'd really appreciate that. Thanks.

mrsshelby444 Sun 16-Jun-19 21:45:37

Who's watching? I'm only on episode 2

SophieCatScribbles Sun 16-Jun-19 22:39:30

I'm watching... Are you enjoying it so far? Do you think everyone will come out of this series alive?

DinosaursWouldEatYou Tue 02-Jul-19 18:14:41

Augh I hate myself saying this but I love watching Serena, I know she's a baddie and is the cause of her own cage but she's so interesting to watch and played brilliantly.

I think maybe she won't survive but I was hoping when in the earlier seasons the handmaid threw a bomb at the commanders, Fred had perished with them.

Augh June better escape the next time she gets the opportunity! Was so frustrated end of S2

SophieCatScribbles Fri 05-Jul-19 10:47:31

Yes, the will she, won't she, element of the show is getting a bit stale now and there's a feeling that she never will...

As for Serena - well. What a character. BUT I'm so tired of them showing her starting to have some humanity and then switching back to monster again. It's getting tiresome and repetitive and unrealistic. Those moments of realisation end up looking less and less sincere. Serena let June take Nicole because she feared for her life in Gilead. Now, no matter how much she might miss that child, the realisation that her return to Gilead would result in those same fears being realised would just stop her every time. She was miserable with Fred and Nicole under Gilead's 'eye'. She'd be miserable again.

I feel the writing is getting stuck, and I can see the grim horror of the writer's 10-series arc being played out only through this constant hope-despair-hope-despair-hope-despair cycle with the same characters. Crazy and sad, because this is a show - and a subject - that deserves sharper, keener, more realistic writing and a willingness to let the story develop naturally over whatever timeline works. Right now, I can see them continuing the horror part for too long and just emotionally exhausting us.

Lol. Not that I'm feeling pessimistic about it all!

Mammalian Tue 09-Jul-19 22:34:09

Just watched episode 5 and 6 back to back.
The covered mouthssad

SophieCatScribbles Wed 10-Jul-19 06:25:11

Back to back episodes is brave...

The mouths are horrific 😔

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »