Talk

Advanced search

Netflix Subtitled Gems

(80 Posts)
boatyardblues Wed 13-Jun-18 23:59:30

A thread to make a note of foreign language subtitled gems you’ve chanced upon on Netflix.

Chalay Thay Saath Really gentle romance / cultures collide road trip travelogue in Urdu and Chinese. The scenery and cinematography is stunning - set in the far north of Pakistan on the border with China. There’s drama, warmth, heart, music. The colours are super-saturated, which works well with the austere mountain backdrops. A wonderful escape from real life for a couple of hours. star

Let’s be having yours!

halesie Thu 14-Jun-18 00:21:12

Sounds awesome!

I haven't explored much of Netflix yet really but I do like Rita. Not quite as classy as your find though OP grin

Lysistrataknowsherstuff Thu 14-Jun-18 00:29:35

Dukhtar - Pakistani film, I think it won at the Toronto film festival a few years ago. A man wants to marry off his ten year old daughter (ten!!!), her mother can't bear to see history repeat itself and they escape.

Next to watch is a Chinese film, I am not Madame bovary - ex wife gets revenge....

boatyardblues Thu 14-Jun-18 00:33:50

Nowt classy about me. Romcoms and sci-fi are my go-to chill out genres & I’ve exhausted all the acceptably-tolerable-quality English language output, so I’m now branching out. DS2 (10) took the lead as there’s not enough quality PG/12 content - he watches the first 10 mins of subtitled films & sticks with it if good, or finds something else if not. We’ve found some great stuff that way. smile

boatyardblues Thu 14-Jun-18 00:37:43

Lighthouse of the Orcas (Patagonia) is such a beautiful film.

We also watched an amazing Indian film about mixed up tiffin tins delivered by the dabbawallas in Mumbai which leads to an unconventional relationship of kindred spirits - I think it was called The Lunch Box.

OfMe Thu 28-Jun-18 00:29:07

Money Heist or La Casa de Papel - brilliant series - was totally hooked from start to finish.

MrStarkIDontFeelSoGood Thu 28-Jun-18 00:36:48

Dark - German scifi - amazing, I bang on at any opportunity

The 3% - a Brazilian dystopia about a contest to see who gets to escape the slums and live in plenty on the offshore

MrStarkIDontFeelSoGood Thu 28-Jun-18 00:49:29

I remember enjoying the Bollywood film Lagaan years ago on Film 4 but I’ve just looked and it’s nearly 4 hrs long 😱

Crouching Tiger is on there

As is

City Of God both excellent if challenging foreign films

LittleLebowski Sun 01-Jul-18 07:21:05

We are currently really enjoying call my agent - French series about an actor's agency in Paris and their personal problems plus all the issues they have with their actor's whims, love-lives, auditions etc. It's funny and easy-watching.

TheThirdOfHerName Sat 07-Jul-18 21:48:23

La Forêt (The Forest)
French mystery a bit similar in atmosphere to Dark.

spidereye Sat 07-Jul-18 23:22:06

oooh, love a French Mystery. the French 'Returned 'is excellent and I also enjoyed the Chalet

EvilEdna1 Sat 07-Jul-18 23:27:00

Gomorrah, a very gritty and realistic Italian crime series. It's riveting. Not least because of the interior design tastes of the Naples' underworld.

ImNotAsGreenasImCabbageLooking Sun 08-Jul-18 11:21:26

We just finished The Frozen Dead, a French police thriller/mystery. I'd highly recommend it if you like shows such as Hinterland, Top of the Lake etc.

I'm enjoying the foreign language content so much more since I realised it's possible to get rid of the awful dubbing and watch with subtitles. Yeah, that took me a while blush

TheThirdOfHerName Sun 08-Jul-18 13:36:31

I've got The Frozen Dead on my Netflix list, but will wait until I've finished La Forêt first (not sure I can cope with watching two suspenseful French dramas simultaneously).

shartsi Sun 08-Jul-18 13:53:48

Turkish dramas are also good. I loved Gonul, seyit and sura and ezel on Netflix.

bettys Tue 10-Jul-18 23:18:08

I have just finished Stranger, a Korean police/law drama which started slowly but had me totally absorbed. Fascinating stuff, only watched it as it has Bae Doona in it (from Sense8) but has been a refreshing change from all the Scandi/French dramas I'm used to.

MozzieMagnet Tue 10-Jul-18 23:35:45

bella ciao bella ciao bella ciao ciao ciao

What ofme' said....La casa de papel was so so good (also dubbed if you prefer).

boatyardblues Wed 11-Jul-18 23:08:34

I’m just getting stuck into Mr Sunshine, a Korean period drama set during the final years of the Joseon dynasty c1880s, when Western countries were getting involved/invading. It has set up forbidden love, wronged children, huge societal upheavel, dynastic shenanigans and epic battling so far, which makes me interesting to see how it shakes down. The first episode was a bit confusing, but its hitting its stride in ep 2. The production looks like they spent a ton of money on it, but thing I’m most enjoying is the painterly cinematography. The scenery is beautifully shot - some wonderful landscapes and sunsets - and the use of colour makes me whatever the visual equivalent of hungry is. I want more & more, it’s so beautiful. I will report back when I’m getting nearer to the end.

boatyardblues Wed 11-Jul-18 23:10:03

Upheaval & interested and other assorted typos...🙄

KateMcD451 Thu 12-Jul-18 19:47:21

If you haven't seen it, Dark is a fantastic German thriller, I really recommend it.

Frusso Thu 12-Jul-18 19:50:12

I liked the 3%.
I'm currently watching Who are you, but it's a bit teen flick

WeShouldOpenABar Thu 12-Jul-18 19:53:10

I loved Rita and it concluded nicely I still sing the theme tune to myself. Netflix seems to be really pushing Korean stuff on me this week and I can't think why, anyone else?

boatyardblues Thu 12-Jul-18 20:02:34

Dark was excellent. I posted about it on another thread.

I tried the 3% but couldn't get into it, so never watched past the 1st episode. Does it get going fairly soon after that?

I discovered last night that Mr Sunshine is only being dropped an episode at a time on Saturdays, so there are only two at the mo. Probably not a bad thing, mind, as I would have watched another last night.

bettys Fri 13-Jul-18 00:19:39

Have finished Stranger and am now on Black, another Korean drama which am also enjoying hugely. It's a weird mix of police and supernatural with a bit of comedy. The first episode was confusing and after watching the third I had to go back and rewatch bits of the first again as there were lots of clues I'd missed. 18 episodes of over an hour each and not predictable at all.

HoofWankingSpangleCunt Fri 13-Jul-18 01:01:39

So so many. I liked The Chalet, and Dark. Really enjoyed the Danish series called the Rain ( I think). Also liked La Mante and Narcos. My absolute favourite though, to date, was Black Crows, about life inside a.Daesh compound, particularly concentrating on women and children. Very informative if not a little terrifying.
Altjough not a streaming service per se, I must add that Walter Presents on 4OD is bloody marvellous, currently working my way through the Spanish Night and Day. I have watched so many awesome series on there.
I also watched a fantastic Mongolian film on Amazon Video, I'll try and track it down. That was fascinating.
This was on a sky type channel but the Swedish series 30° in February kept me engrossed for weeks. Well worth watching if you come across it.
I also watched a series about the Sami people and their terrible treatment by non Sam is and it frustrates me that I can no longer remember the name or the service I watched it on. I do remember however s very sexy Sami activist in it so that's something .grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: