Talk

Advanced search

Netflix Subtitled Gems

(5 Posts)
boatyardblues Wed 13-Jun-18 23:59:30

A thread to make a note of foreign language subtitled gems you’ve chanced upon on Netflix.

Chalay Thay Saath Really gentle romance / cultures collide road trip travelogue in Urdu and Chinese. The scenery and cinematography is stunning - set in the far north of Pakistan on the border with China. There’s drama, warmth, heart, music. The colours are super-saturated, which works well with the austere mountain backdrops. A wonderful escape from real life for a couple of hours. star

Let’s be having yours!

halesie Thu 14-Jun-18 00:21:12

Sounds awesome!

I haven't explored much of Netflix yet really but I do like Rita. Not quite as classy as your find though OP grin

Lysistrataknowsherstuff Thu 14-Jun-18 00:29:35

Dukhtar - Pakistani film, I think it won at the Toronto film festival a few years ago. A man wants to marry off his ten year old daughter (ten!!!), her mother can't bear to see history repeat itself and they escape.

Next to watch is a Chinese film, I am not Madame bovary - ex wife gets revenge....

boatyardblues Thu 14-Jun-18 00:33:50

Nowt classy about me. Romcoms and sci-fi are my go-to chill out genres & I’ve exhausted all the acceptably-tolerable-quality English language output, so I’m now branching out. DS2 (10) took the lead as there’s not enough quality PG/12 content - he watches the first 10 mins of subtitled films & sticks with it if good, or finds something else if not. We’ve found some great stuff that way. smile

boatyardblues Thu 14-Jun-18 00:37:43

Lighthouse of the Orcas (Patagonia) is such a beautiful film.

We also watched an amazing Indian film about mixed up tiffin tins delivered by the dabbawallas in Mumbai which leads to an unconventional relationship of kindred spirits - I think it was called The Lunch Box.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: