Not enjoying being a non smoker.

(11 Posts)
Imtoooldforallthis Wed 24-Mar-21 14:59:27

I know the answer to my question really but I just need someone to give me a proverbial kick up the but. Smoked for 30 years last 10 only 5/6 a day unless out drinking. Stopped last March. But here's the thing, for a start off nobody noticed, neither my husband or my children until I told them a month later. I feel no better, food tastes no different, I am no more less breathless and I still like the smell of a cigarette. I know I could easily start again. I don't think I will but when will I start to feel better, and hate the smell.

OP’s posts: |
Imtoooldforallthis Wed 24-Mar-21 14:59:58

And enjoy being a non smoker.

toffeebutterpopcorn Wed 24-Mar-21 15:08:32

This is Dot
Dot likes to smoke
Puff puff puff
Now Dot has a mouth like a cats derrière
Poor Dot
She’s only 24...

toffeebutterpopcorn Wed 24-Mar-21 15:08:56

Here’s Dot...

BigRedBoat Wed 24-Mar-21 15:10:02

I bet you smell nicer. Surely you must have more money too?

WetJan Wed 24-Mar-21 15:10:16

You could at least use a pic that doesn't make her look absolutely badass. 🙄

OP, I get it. I still miss it sometimes.

vimtosogood Wed 24-Mar-21 15:11:19

I don't blame you. Non smokers are judgemental arses and becoming one fills me with shame.

ThatOtherPoster Wed 24-Mar-21 15:12:15

I gave up -- or rather, switched to NRT which I'm still using, 5 years on! -- and felt like you for the first few months. But now, honestly I love not having to smoke. And I truly LOVED smoking.

You will notice the smell on other people when we're all allowed back in shops - and it STINKS when it's on people's clothes, or in their homes. You'll start noticing too how long-term smokers have gurgley laughs, and often sound like there's liquid in their lungs globbing about when they speak or cough.

I didn't notice food tasted better, either. But I love how my hair smells nice all the time, and that I can wear the same jumper more than once, because it still smells fresh. I love being able to sit through a whole film at the cinema without starting to squirm for a fag. I love staying at other people's houses without having to creep around at dawn to unlock their back door to go out for a fag.

Everything's better. I think Lockdown just hides that, because actually it'd be pretty nice just to sit around smoking all day.

BaggoMcoys Wed 24-Mar-21 15:14:43

I'm smoking again now but I quit for four years and never grew to hate the smell of cigarettes and never stopped missing smoking. I don't like the lingering smell that's left on me, but I love the smell of a freshly lit cigarette. Desperate to quit for my health and because of the expense though. Maybe you should focus on the money side of things and start treating yourself every so often with what you save. Good on you for quitting op, it's something to be proud of.

MazekeenSmith Wed 24-Mar-21 15:20:16

It took me 6 months to feel good after stopping smoking

Imtoooldforallthis Wed 24-Mar-21 15:26:51

When I said I stopped in March I mean 2020

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in