Please give me your tips and advice

(8 Posts)
oldbagface Fri 17-Apr-20 09:29:03

I need to stop smoking. DH will stop with me. We want to stop today. Please pile on your advice and tips.

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Fri 17-Apr-20 16:16:55

similar thread active here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/a3879616-Tips-for-quitting-smoking-please?msgid=95619412#95619412

alan carr's stop smoking book and website is highly recommended

best of luck x

oldbagface Fri 17-Apr-20 18:57:33

Thank you @sleepismysuperpower1 very much appreciated

OP’s posts: |
BeetrootRocks Fri 17-Apr-20 18:58:49

YY Allen Carr book

Style is odd to start with but stick with it!

Changeyname40 Sat 02-May-20 23:35:23

Yes to Allan Carr. Did start after but it really changes your mindset about it.

What worked eventually for me was getting a calendar and ticking off every day. Lots of trial and error. Worked out my triggers. Places to avoid. Do it when you have a stress free couple of weeks.

Patches v good and with the help of an NHS Stop Smoking Clinic. They give you a structured cut down plan.

Halli2020 Sun 10-May-20 00:26:17

I was living with a family friend at the time and she literally just chucked my baccy out. No nicotine gum, no patches just cold turkey. And my GOD I was so angry for a couple of weeks but I’m sort of glad she did it when she did as I was wanting to stop but just couldn’t. One day I said to myself... yep I’m done. I went through bags of skittles and gum really helped and after a month I felt much better and healthier for it. I’m now unfortunately back on the fags due to stress but will stop again when my life has a sense of normality again. I know I can do it because I’ve done it before. I think maybe if I gave up first with patches etc I would’ve stopped smoking for longer as opposed to just going cold turkey. So think about that option first.

PlugUgly1980 Sun 10-May-20 07:25:04

Cold turkey but with the mindset that you really want to do it. I quit at New Year, the first couple of weeks were hard but once you break the routine it gets better. I found having a pint of ice cold water every time I thought about smoking helped, and increasing my exercise levels...generally trying to focus on my health.

lemontarty Tue 12-May-20 08:58:18

I've just quit & given all 6 packs of my slim menthols to partner to give away to other smokers. My partner is a non smoker & it was causing huge rows between us. I often go full week / 2 weeks & all weekends & evenings etc without smoking as I just don't do it when I'm with DP. I only smoke when we aren't together I.e work etc. So I'm hoping I find it ok!

Plus the law has changed & my favourite & only smokable cigs ( for me ) are now being banned from 20th May due to new laws.

So yesterday I gave up first before the new law got me!

You have to really want to stop. I used to be a full time smoker before I met DP & I've gradually just stopped smoking when we was together ( we now live together) so it's just been a gradual stop for me.

Sending thanks & good luck!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in