Smoking after a stroke

(8 Posts)
catladyandwhiskersjim Mon 20-Jan-20 09:01:52

Some advice please ladies. My step mum had a severe stroke in November. She was a very heavy smoker, also inactive and probably drink too much too. We found 1,000s of ciggies in the house. She is being sent home this week. She currently is physically recovered but has no speech / writing at all. We had quick visit home and first think she looked for was a ciggie (which we removed). So my question is should we return her cigarettes for when she goes back home or remove them all? I personally feel like smoking is what has caused this and we are having to drop everything to care for her. All views welcome.

OP’s posts: |
Nostrings457 Thu 06-Feb-20 19:22:05

Thats a difficult one. I think as shes an adult, she should make the decision herself. However i totally understand where you are coming from. Its such a horrid habit and so hard to kick.
Any update since you posted?

catladyandwhiskersjim Fri 07-Feb-20 20:50:09

Thanks nostrings. It is so tricky, but we all agreed -like you said - that she was an adult and had to decide herself. As soon as she got home she went straight back to smoking. Its devastating, esp. since not smoking i have never seen her so healthy ... the change with 4 months and no ciggies was remarkable.

OP’s posts: |
Northernsoullover Fri 07-Feb-20 20:52:41

I know the jury is out but could you use this opportunity to get her to try a vape?

Northernsoullover Fri 07-Feb-20 20:53:36

Jury is out on the safety of vaping I mean! Its still safer than cigs.

lorerah Tue 11-Feb-20 17:57:27

You are right. Vape is safer and helps many to quit smoking. When steaming, the usual components of smoking are preserved. A person holds an e-cigarette in his hands, gets a similar feeling when puffing and exhaling steam. But the damage to the body is reduced to a minimum. At the same time, the amount of nicotine is determined by the person himself. Smoker, who wants to overcome nicotine addiction, can gradually reduce the "dose" to zero. The cost of vape is much lower than when smoking cigarettes. You can see the prices of vawoo.co.uk/weekly-sale/. These are certified products.

snakyeye Thu 30-Apr-20 23:12:49

@catladyandwhiskersjim could you pls update how did you decided to act and if it worked.
@lorelah i've checked the website you've recommended. it looks like there are some cheap vape for beginners on vawoo.co.uk
i would use something like that for my uncle, but not sure if it will work

Halli2020 Sun 10-May-20 00:23:35

My dad had a stroke a year ago and was a heavy smoker and drinker. What I mean is that he literally drank and smoked since he was a child... he now doesn’t drink and doesn’t smoke. I think the whole shock of him nearly dying made him stop. Plus he has me and his younger son to live for. I’m a smoker myself and will absolutely be stopping smoking when my stress levels go down as I don’t want to end up like him considering I started smoking the same age he was.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in