Cant stop smoking!

(7 Posts)
Overthinker84 Sun 08-Dec-19 11:15:04

Hi, I am new here and wondered if anyone else was in the same boat. I am a current smoker but want to quit. I generally have my first one around 5 in the evening as I dont smoke during the day in the week. I dont feel I even need this as its more habit than anything. I sometimes have 1 or 2 a day which makes me think what is stopping me stopping? I have smoked for 15+ years and even when I have been proper skint still manage to get fags. My kids hate smokers and don't know that I still do. I have an inhalator which I want to use but I dont know why I dont? Any advice?

OP’s posts: |
Cathpot Sun 08-Dec-19 11:20:19

It sounds like you are using a cigarette as a reward at the end of the day- an excuse for a little treat and time to yourself. I was very similar. I think you need to replace that reward with something else- you will know what would work well for you. Also there will be other triggers linked to when and where you go for a cigarette which it could be helpful to remove. I had to stop drinking tea for a bit as a cup of tea and cigarette in the garden was my evening wind down.

PulyaSochsup Sun 08-Dec-19 11:26:40

Give your inhalator a few hours. Wait until your craving is really strong and use it then, they are amazing. I think sometimes you need chance to see how good they are. I have saved a fortune. After one month I bought a second hand but beautiful, vintage style leather suite and a flat screen television. My health has improved too, I can’t recommend them highly enough. Good luck.

user764329056 Sun 08-Dec-19 11:32:59

The good thing is it sounds like you're Not addicted as you can go so long without, I am 8 weeks smoke free, was definitely addicted, am using nicotine gum

Overthinker84 Sun 08-Dec-19 15:44:27

Thanks for that. I do agree. It is used as a reward. I think I'll try the inhalator and see how I go! I know its will power so just got to remember the benefits. 😊

OP’s posts: |
Parky04 Sun 08-Dec-19 16:34:55

I have just posted on another smoking thread. Couple of friends had hypnosis and they haven't smoked for 6 months. Both say they do not get any cravings at all.

Orkneys Tue 27-Oct-20 12:16:20

What's a reward? Smoking! You mean suffocation.
Read Allen Carr

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in