Started Champix 22 Nov 19

(47 Posts)
LetsBeSensible Fri 22-Nov-19 15:20:28

I’ve smoked nearly 30 years, I’ve quit for a year or two and gone back to it, cold turkey, gum, patches, Allen Carr clinic and book...
I really need to stop. I’m going through a really difficult period, I’m off with stress and...I just went to the local stop smoking clinic a few days ago and I started Champix this morning!!!
I live alone and I thought it would be good to start a thread here so I write every day and keep an eye on my mood and how I am feeling.

OP’s posts: |
LetsBeSensible Fri 22-Nov-19 16:22:29

OMG just had a cig and it tasted really awful, like a rough cheap one from abroad! I felt a bit sick, still smoked it though.
Have not really counted how many I started with today but I started a new pack around 3pm and usually smoke 20 per day, so let’s see how many are left at 3pm tomorrow.

fatisnotafeeling Fri 22-Nov-19 16:30:31

Hi, good luck I hope they work for you.

I used it 7 yrs ago to give up smoking and I haven't smoked since so it does work very well.

LetsBeSensible Fri 22-Nov-19 21:29:46

@fatisnotafeeling thanks for the encouragement!
I’ve smoked quite a lot as I had a really stressful few hours thanks to work...I did think about opening some wine but I’m actually a it tired with a headache (this has been that case all week, probably stress)

Phud Sat 23-Nov-19 00:03:14

Took a few days before fags tasted like like shite for me but it did put me off smoking because I got no enjoyment. Had weird dreams though so be prepared. Hope it works for you.

LetsBeSensible Sat 23-Nov-19 20:20:28

Thanks @Phud I have managed to some through the odd taste and smoke twice as many as normal (ooops) starting on the wine now.
As I say I’m very stressed right now so who knows if it’s the champix or me being all over the place? I cleaned and cleaned today for something to keep me active. My mood was generally ok, a bit down at times.
At least champix is forcing me to have breakfast first thing.

Phud Sat 23-Nov-19 23:49:02

Moodiness is expected when quitting smoking anyway so maybe not connected to champix.
I'll be honest, champix affected me in a bad way and had to give it up and continued smoking but my thoughts at the time were if Stephen Fry gave it a thumbs up it was good enough for me.
Everyone's different and it was 4 days with an ecig that finally got me off the fags 7 years ago.
Keep at it though, fingers crossed for you 🤞

LetsBeSensible Sun 24-Nov-19 13:43:03

Day 3 - hungover and thankfully no nausea from drinking or champix.
Having a lazy day, tomorrow will be more demanding and Tuesday is expected to be awful thanks to work problems, so for now I’m having some time to please myself.
Tomorrow I go on the higher dose so we will see what that brings.

LetsBeSensible Mon 25-Nov-19 21:56:24

Day 4 tablets morning and night.
Noticed the “vile fag” taste is back more frequently.
Managed to clean lots of things, wasn’t too down mood is ok. Horrific work meeting tomorrow.

LetsBeSensible Tue 26-Nov-19 14:09:07

Day 5, first tablet at 2pm! Horrendous work meeting first thing, no time for breakfast and heard too many nausea horror stories. The pack info says the two tablets must be taken 8 hours apart, so next one at 10pm is fine.
Have been trying to smoke outside, it’s such an effort! House starting no not smell as bad though. Just off out to see how vile fags taste...

troppibambini Tue 26-Nov-19 14:12:27

I gave up 8 years ago with champix.
You do need to chose a quit date though you won't just naturally stop smoking.

LetsBeSensible Wed 27-Nov-19 23:28:44

Day 6, a bit exhausted after yesterday.
I have noticed some very slight nausea at times, and vile fag taste. I’ve smoked a bit less as well.Going to the stop smoking clinic tomorrow, to blow in the machine I guess.
Last day of smoking is Friday, then house guests fromFri night until Monday, so can’t smoke!

LetsBeSensible Thu 28-Nov-19 22:25:34

Day 7, I really don’t feel like smoking as much, and have waited an hour before having one in the morning.
Have painted the living room, can really still smell smoke everywhere though. Did the marching thing at the clinic, last week it was 31 and this week 17! A bit worrying is that it should be 6 or less from walking to the clinic (London traffic)

LetsBeSensible Tue 03-Dec-19 17:46:15

Days 8,9 and 10 had visitors and didn’t smoke, but still had a pack left so got back on those yesterday
Day 10 my levels were down to 11 much better than 31
Today is day 11, have smoked a few and they vary in enjoyment, feel a bit sick now though. Am going to read the Allen Carr book again as I think I’m smoking out of habit more than anything and I need that psychological boost to finish it off

actionpacked Tue 03-Dec-19 19:56:54

Just coming on to give you a cheer of support!

I’m also not smoking although am supposedly using patches rather than Champix - reality is I’m having more success with inhalator atm. Started about the same time as you, also going to clinic each week, blew 32 1st week blush, about 24 2nd week (was still smoking with patches blush ) and 2 today (no smoking at all since 6am yesterday, was smoking maybe 3/4 a day in the week leading up to that). Am finding it quite hard mentally, feel like I SHOULD be smoking so listen to a chapter or two of Allen Carr during my ‘smoke time’.

Keep going! We can break this habit!

LetsBeSensible Tue 03-Dec-19 22:54:55

@actionpacked however we do it however we get there, any day with less smoked, less spent n smoking, is a victory!

LetsBeSensible Wed 04-Dec-19 18:44:30

Day 12 I smoked the last of the cigs, then just decided not to buy any more. I was kind of glad to get rid of them, I feel really really queasy today and if I get a whiff of smoke it’s worse! Occasionally I think “should AI have a fag”then remember I don’t have any.

LetsBeSensible Thu 05-Dec-19 20:55:20

Day 13, terrible nausea and indigestion has subsisted from last night. Varying between occasionally fancying a fag and feeling ill at the thought. Bought a few bits today and spent nearly £20 and felt a bit flash, then remembered that I have not spent £12 per day on fags for 4 days, so really not a problem!
Forgot to mention that in the first week I did have some mad dreams, although I dream a lot anyway and I’ve given up before and had them so they didn’t really bother me!

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Thu 05-Dec-19 21:01:14

Good luck! DH smoked for 50 years and was on 30-40 a day - he gave up using champix after being diagnosed with lung cancer. It was like a wonder drug - he never missed smoking after the initial urges died down and became a really grumpy anti smoker who couldn't bear the stench and would complain when walking past smokers.

actionpacked Thu 05-Dec-19 21:37:55

You’re doing really well!

I’m on day 4 of complete no smoking (well I will be at 6am!) I have no cigs and no lighter in the house now even if I wanted one. So far, so good! I’m having very vivid dreams and very broken sleep. Went into a shop today and automatically asked for cigs then remembered I don’t want them. My usual for milk, bread and cigs would be about £16 today’s grand total was £4! My bank balance is definitely looking healthier after only a few days!

LetsBeSensible Fri 06-Dec-19 20:15:57

Thanks you guys!
Day 14 I realised I forgot to take my evening tablet last night! Only realised at breakfast so the advice is to skip it and carry on f I’m breakfast.
I do feel a bit queasy and I’ve been eating a load of junk. Downloaded a good app which constantly counts how many fags you didn’t smoke since you quit, and how much money you didn’t spend, it’s quite encouraging. I have been having cravings, really do need to read Allen Carr!

LetsBeSensible Sun 08-Dec-19 22:32:15

Day 15 - I caved in. Went to a friend’s place for drinks, could not hold out any longer. Smoked 5 or 6. Unfortunately I didn’t get much nausea and the first few really hit the spot, the last one was like sucking air.
Really do need todo that Allen Carr book before the cravings take over.
Day 16 - have hardly thought about smoking, I do have a horrible burning sore tongue though.

Phud Mon 09-Dec-19 08:23:05

Champix seems to affect the brain in different ways in different people. After 8 days I physically couldn't smoke, tasted awful with no pleasure at all. Still had the cravings though and when I finally stopped taking it because of issues, about 14 days, it took about 4 days before I could finally enjoy a cigarette again.

LetsBeSensible Mon 09-Dec-19 19:30:50

Day 17- I think the cravings are starting to creep back
After being tired outlast week, seem to be a bit more on form again so trying to keep myself busy. Mood seems to be ok (one of the reasons I wanted to do this thread, to keep an eye on it!)

LetsBeSensible Tue 10-Dec-19 21:30:49

Day 18 - my god I’ve felt sick for a good hour after taking this evening’s tablet, might try taking a half tomorrow, the clinic said I could if I felt too sick. Anyone had this hit them at this stage?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in