Talk

Advanced search

Champix and my journey to being a non smoker

(43 Posts)
Cinderbelly Mon 04-Mar-19 20:45:42

4 days 22 hours and 12 minutes since my last cigarette.

Day 12 of champix (stopped on day 8)

I have been trawling the net looking for people's experiences and tips to help me and thought I would start my own thread to help me be accountable and to look back on when I am struggling. If anyone wants to join me then that would be great. If not I will probably be here just talking to myself grin

ShakeYourTailFeathers Mon 04-Mar-19 20:55:12

Don't take it on an empty stomach - makes you feel very sick. You may well know this already grin

Watch your moods. I could only stay on it 6 weeks as it turned me barmy (think PMT x 100,000)

Got me off the fags though - I've not smoked for 10 yrs and Champix got me off it

you can do it - good luck!

ChickensForTheHound Mon 04-Mar-19 20:55:20

I quit using Champix about 8 months ago and it really made all the difference. In my head, before I started taking it, I was convinced this was the method that would work for me, I don't know if that attitude made a difference.
I found it very easy to get down to one or two cigarettes a day, harder to stop those last couple, that's what I needed willpower for, the medication took care of the rest.
I previously smoked about 20 a day and am really proud of myself for quitting.

Cinderbelly Tue 05-Mar-19 07:22:08

5 days 8 hours and 43 minutes!

Wow! Thank you both for replying, it's good to know the champix works! I must admit this has been much tougher than I thought it was going to be... to the point that most of yesterday I was craving so badly and wondering what was the point of taking it!
But I know it must be working as I've never managed 5 days before (except for pregnancies and when I was using patches about 10 years ago)

The nurse did tell me about the sickness and to eat, but from what I've read here and other forums I found out about the water as well. Seems to be working so far as the sickness is manageable.

First day back at work today since I became a non smoker... morning habits have been hard, had a longer shower than usual and decided to post here... it's funny how I seem to have more time now then before!

Stragegies for work:
1. Park on the opposite side of the car park to smoking area and use a completely different entrance / exit to normal
2. Take pack of chocolate hobnobs (just incase)
3. Buy some polos or mints from canteens I suck in meetings.
4. Minimum of 3 water bottles to drink today.

Got my appointment at the clinic with the nurse to review as well this evening will post back after.

Cinderbelly Tue 05-Mar-19 08:33:19

At work now at my desk. It's amazing how many habits I have picked up that usually go with a cigarette. At the traffic lights where my last point to light up is before I get to work, sitting in traffic... it felt like a looong journey this morning

RickOShay Tue 05-Mar-19 08:44:36

Good luck Cinder. Dh is on the champix down to a couple a day.
I struggled for years to give up and now vape like a demon grin
Hope you get through the day and remember all the positives about giving up.

RickOShay Tue 05-Mar-19 08:45:06

And bloody well done flowers

Jaxinthebox Tue 05-Mar-19 08:48:07

best of luck OP, Im going for hypnotherapy next Monday to stop - I had this previously and it worked, never smoked, didnt even want to and then a year and a half later had a marriage break up, relocation and general shitty ness of life and i started again. Wish I hadnt, but Im ready to pack it in for good this time, so fingers crossed.

DioneTheDiabolist Tue 05-Mar-19 08:56:18

I've just started Champix, on day 3 so still smoking. Good luck OP and congratulations to everyone who has quit.flowers

Cinderbelly Tue 05-Mar-19 09:00:44

Thanks rick. How's DH doing? I never bothered to cut down too much, just kept smoking as usual and then stopped day 8 as agreed beforehand with the nurse: not sure if this was as the right way to do it but it's been hard work but is working.

My DH is vaping too - he enjoys it with a 12mg nicotine liquid.
I can't get on with it, made me cough.

Cinderbelly Tue 05-Mar-19 12:37:02

Hi Jax and Dionne, welcome to my rambling thread!
dionne good luck with the champix- have you picked a quit date yet? Hopefully we can support each other.
Hypnotherapy sounds like a good idea jax good that you already know it works. Sorry to hear you've had such a tough time, hopefully the future is looking bright for you and you are enjoying your last week as a smoker before your hypno next week.
I have just finished lunch - a very bland jacket potato as feeling a bit sick right now and can't stomach much else. Have eaten lunch at my desk to try and break the routine of going outside and am posting here instead of smoking. I'm not really feeling the need for a cigarette, this is now about the habit of having one after lunch and finding something else to do instead!

Cinderbelly Tue 05-Mar-19 19:38:00

5 days 21 hours exactly done!

Today has been hard - I've been looking at the app I downloaded quite a lot counting down the hours!

Drs appointment was cancelled, they wrote me a prescription to pick up - for week 1 and 2 again! Good job I checked with the receptionist (although had to wait nearly 40 minutes to get it sorted hmm)

I'm not sure how long it takes for nicotine to leave your system... hopefully that's when the cravings will stop. I can't decide at the moment whether to brush my teeth, eat another biscuit, suck a mint or what to do with myself. None of them seem to be hitting the spot so as to speak. Whatever happens I am determined not to have a cigarette. I've come too far now!

Cinderbelly Wed 06-Mar-19 07:10:44

6 days 8 hours 36 minutes. grin

Feeling quite proud to have nearly made a week now!

Had a weird dream last night that DH and I had an argument about ice cream flavours and pancake toppings. But I mean a huge plate smashing name calling row. This is so unlike us (we're both quite timid) I was shocked. Full of apologies this morning - he works shifts so often leaves before I am up - he was crying with laughter over the phone as obviously had no idea what I was talking about. The dream felt so real though!!!!

RickOShay Wed 06-Mar-19 13:56:43

flowers Well done Cinder!!
Could you treat yourself and dh to an ice cream sundae?! grin

whojamaflip Wed 06-Mar-19 14:11:02

Day 48 of Champix here and day 25 without a cigarette 😯

Wasn't able to quit until 3 weeks after starting the tablets 🙁

Been really struggling with the cravings but must admit they are getting less (down to maybe once or twice a day now) and I'm finding that the smell of other people smoking is horrible and makes me feel a bit sick which is helping kill the need for one.

The tablets have helped, there is no way I would have done this cold turkey - but dear god I shall be glad when I have finished the course - I've never had insomnia in my life before but I'm getting very little sleep and shat sleep I do get is filled with the weirdest dreams - including dreaming of smoking!!

I've also managed to put on nearly a stone in the last month which I'm less than impressed about but am not planning on doing anything about that until I've finished the tablets.

I've also noticed that my gin doesn't taste quite right either 😩

Well done op and keep on keeping on thanks

Jaxinthebox Wed 06-Mar-19 22:54:47

well done to everyone who has stopped! Im looking forward to my hypnotherapy on Monday, I just want to stop now. The smell is really annoying me but I just cant seem to stop myself.

Anyway, Im going to buy some knitting needles and keep my hands busy, so I dont stuff my face. This 'technique' worked for me previously when Ive stopped. Im hoping this time is forever.

Also, someone said to buy glucose tablets - that come in a packet like sweets as the brain confuses nicotine and 'sweet' or something like that. Anyway, its worth a shot if it stops me eating the house.

Cinderbelly Thu 07-Mar-19 07:08:13

Well done who 25 days is great going! I feel the same about the weight gain. I am already overweight so have decided to allow myself a 'cigarette stone' over the next 12 weeks but no more. I don't think I can face dieting as well as giving up!

That's a good idea about the knitting needles jax I can crochet and have been making DD a blanket in the evenings in a bid to lay off the chocolate hob nobs so far granny squares are all I can do!

DH has decided not to part vape / part smoke and my best friend who was supposed to be quitting with me called yesterday and admitted she has failed to quit as well. Both of them were saying 'get a vape' but honestly what would be the point of that now I am a week in?
Also, I know that both of them will vape for about a week then go back to cigs.

Today is day 7 - a whole week down!
grin

Cinderbelly Thu 07-Mar-19 07:11:06

That should have said that DH has decided to vape and smoke!

Mabelface Thu 07-Mar-19 07:24:48

Champix is great stuff. I quit for 6 years using it. Unfortunately started again when I left my husband, but ho hum. Just had to stop taking the tablets again due to labrynthitis and not knowing if it was the tablets or illness making me dizzy. Back on it soon. Keep up the good work!

Cinderbelly Thu 07-Mar-19 08:14:17

Hi mabel I just had to google labrynthitis as I'd never heard of it flowers poor you that sounds awful. Hopefully you can get it sorted soon.
For me, the main side effects have been a general ick feeling (not very medical - malaise is probably the right term) a bit sickly if I don't eat / drink lots of water with the tablets. This week Ive had a constant dull headache and a bit of a spaced out feeling but that's Going down now. - I also slept A LOT in the first 2 weeks.
I am persevering as to be honest I do think a lot of what I'm experiencing could be nicotine withdrawal symptoms as well as the pills.
Hearing other people's experiences is really helping too.

The only bit I am hmm about is that my nurse told me that once I had started these I wouldn't want to smoke at all. - that has definately not been true for me, I have needed strong stubbornness will power not to give into the urges!!

Cinderbelly Thu 07-Mar-19 10:45:17

7 days 12 hours and 13 minutes...

Fighting the urges right now. Could easily grab one of DHs and have it secretly.
Keep thinking NOPE - Not One Puff Ever

Cinderbelly Thu 07-Mar-19 10:46:38

Ooh on the plus side, according to my app I have not smoked 150 cigarettes and saved nearly £65.
That's something to be pleased about

Jaxinthebox Wed 13-Mar-19 14:42:58

Ive not smoked since Monday morning. Last ciggie was just before hypnotherapy.
I feel good about that but I am quite grumpy - not all the time, but I feel my tolerance is very low.

What app are you all using? I think that will help me keep going.
Each week I am going to transfer my cig money to another account so I can see it saved.

Cinderbelly Thu 14-Mar-19 12:05:02

Hi jax, well done to you!

The app I downloaded is called smoke free. it's a picture of a sky with clouds. It was free, but does have adds which can be quite annoying.

Day 22 of champix and day 14 of no smoking here. I've officially made it 2 weeks! I keep reading the first 3 days and then 3 weeks are the hardest.
Mostly I feel tired. I'm not sleeping well at night, keep waking up with odd dreams. Nothing exciting, but the feel very real, so if a door slams in the dream for example the slamming sound is making me wake up!

I'm going back to the nurse on the 19th going to talk about it then.

HoofWankingSpangleCunt Thu 14-Mar-19 12:18:42

Hi, well done on so many days smoke-free!

I stopped smoking using Champix back in 2011 as I was due to have a spinal operation and couldn't bear the thought of having nicotine withdrawal whilst stuck on a hospital bed.
I'm.happy to say th Champix worked like a dream, or should I say nightmare as I had plenty of those.
I used to eat an egg mayo bagel at the same time as taking my dose as otherwise I'd feel really sick. I was a bit grumpy too.
This might sound daft bit have you tried doing Adult Colouring? It gives you something to do with your hands and helps create new routines. It can also be soothing and can take your mind off any cravings. By now, cravings are purely psychological as you know, so it's just about not letting those thoughts take up room in your brain. Easier said than done though, I know!
I managed to stay smoke free for years but then my fiancé died suddenly and horribly, and I started up again. These days I caps and whilst it isn't the same as smoking I'd love to go back to the days when i'd finished the Champix and was a very happy and clean smelling ex smoker.
Well done you, and keep on keeping on. You have got this!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »