Talk

Advanced search

Need help with buying a vape

(50 Posts)
Tuttytoffee Wed 01-Nov-17 08:06:54

Hi, I want to try and give up smoking again. I've used a vape once before but it was a cheap one and hurt my throat. Didn't last with it for long. The past few months my smoking has gone worse and I'm having about 20 a day. I want to buy a really good ecig that will help me quit with a nice flavour that doesn't hurt my throat. I've seen loads online but I don't know where to begin. They seem to be a lot cheaper online but then you haven't got the help of a person in a shop to chose what's best. Could anyone help me in picking a good buy that's not too expensive and a nice flavour? Thanks

Jins Wed 01-Nov-17 09:02:44

What's your budget?

Most of us have really got on well with a nautilus mini and eleaf istick combo. The nautilus mini can be picked up for about £15. An istick (battery) is going to be around £30.

The innokin endura models (t18 or t20) are great starter kits and can be bought for around £20

Flavours are hard to recommend. I don't like the ones I thought I'd like and have been surprised by what I prefer. I'd go to onepoundliquid or rejuiced and buy whatever takes your fancy. Be prepared to chuck some out if you don't like them. Finding flavours you like is really important and led to my failure last time round. Don't bulk buy flavours you like now as your tastes will change as your taste buds recover.

Going into a shop is a good thing to do as you will get help and can see the actual kit. You will pay more and they may not have the widest range of starter kits but it's worth it for the advice.

Tuttytoffee Wed 01-Nov-17 12:12:04

Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure what my budget it I think around £40. I know my best option would be to go into store but I do need to try and save as much as possible.

I have Amazon prime so have just been looking on there and searched for nautilus minis. Is that the part that you put the juice into? Sorry I've no idea. They are coming up around £10 but a few in a pack. They are either 1.6 or 1.8 ohm. What does this mean. It's like a minefield on Amazon lol.

Jins Wed 01-Nov-17 12:37:26

The nautilus mini is the tank that you put the liquid into. What you've found are replacement coils that you screw into the tank.

I'll have a google for some links

Jins Wed 01-Nov-17 12:56:28

For some reason I can't post with the links so I've sent you a PM

Tuttytoffee Wed 01-Nov-17 13:13:08

jins thank you very much. I have just replied. I've had a look and am thinking maybe getting the eleaf starter kit one to start off with. Do I just buy liquids for this them I'm all set? Sorry for all the questions

Jins Wed 01-Nov-17 13:23:43

Yes all you need is liquid. I've not used the GS air tank that comes with that kit but it seems popular enough.

Higher levels of VG in the Eliquid seems to help with sore throats. I vape 70-30 VG to PG. I don't know if that tank will handle higher VG. May be worth checking reviews

Tuttytoffee Thu 02-Nov-17 07:59:22

Thanks again Jins. I think I'm now gonna go into a store as I don't wanna buy the wrong thing and waste money and I know that a decent one will help me in stopping as I've seen lots of people say it makes a massive difference. Once I know what it is im looking at and u understand all the lingo I'll buy offline. They all have mixed reviews on Amazon saying they spit hot liquid and I don't want to chance wasting money buying a dud. Least I can go back in-store with any problems.

Jins Thu 02-Nov-17 08:56:52

I think that's a good idea.

Just be aware that a lot of stores seem to be aiming towards sub ohm set ups for the cloud chasers which isn't necessarily the right set up for a beginner. 90% of the suggestions for starter kits that I see on the Facebook groups I'm on are for Smok kits which are aimed at direct lung inhalers. Mouth to lung set ups are generally better for quitting because the technique is closer to how we smoke.

I'd aim for buying a reasonable starter kit but be prepared to upgrade in the future. I started with a cheapie, moved across to nautilus/istick for 3/4 months and now I'm using rebuildables exclusively.

Good luck and happy vaping

Tuttytoffee Thu 02-Nov-17 09:41:28

Thanks Jins would you mind telling me the names of these Facebook groups so I can have a look. If I keep reading through I might learn what all these words mean like sub and things. I do want one I can inhale like a cigarette as I don't think I'd be able to stop otherwise so thanks for the heads up. I'll mention that to the guy at the shop

Polter Thu 02-Nov-17 09:50:50

The Aspire Pockex is a pretty good first vape kit, very simple to use and will take higher VG liquids which should help your throat.

guestofclanmackenzie Thu 02-Nov-17 09:51:38

I've got an Imecig G3 starter kit from Amazon. It's the best one I've bought. I don't understand all the terminology so it's great for a novice. Then I buy the liquids from vampire vape (also online) they do the best fruity flavoured liquids. They do 4 x 10ml bottles for £12.

Jins Thu 02-Nov-17 13:25:28

I'd forgotten the Pockex. That's a good call Polter.

I've dropped a lot of the Facebook vaping groups now. I think it's U.K. Vape deals that I was seeing sub ohm advice for starter kits. I'm on mouth to lung vapers, rejuiced, chefs flavours, triphammer etc. Handy for discounts.

Planet of the vapes was a useful resource as well but I don't use it much now

Polter Thu 02-Nov-17 14:21:36

3 and a half years in and my shinyitis is long gone now! I've settled into using just my mini triton and iStick/similar batteries and onepoundeliquid.com juice. I use the Pockex for CBD juice and it's a nice neat piece of kit.

Jins Thu 02-Nov-17 17:04:39

My shinyitis vanished when I bought my doggystyle. I've just bought a second one.

No idea what to do with my nautilus and mini triton.

Tuttytoffee Thu 02-Nov-17 17:25:26

Right I've ordered the pockex worth a try for £20. All the juice is confusing to me but I know I'll need about 12mg nicotine according to a website. I think I'll buy some liquid from a shop 1st of all so I can see and try maybe. Thank you for your help. I hope I'm really successful in stopping as I need to save so much money and my health. I'm very much addicted to smoking tho and always thinking about my next fag :-(

Tuttytoffee Thu 02-Nov-17 17:27:25

polter can I ask what cbd oil helps with and where you buy yours from? My mum vapes but only recently as she didn't want to start up smoking again but has been very stressed after being diagnosed with fibromyalgia. She mentioned to me about her wanting to try cbd oil

Polter Thu 02-Nov-17 17:43:32

Mine's from Canavape and I bought it to hopefully help with sleep, anxiety and pain, I haven't used it regularly enough to know whether it helps significantly yet.

Tuttytoffee Thu 02-Nov-17 17:52:40

Ohh thanks. I will let my mum know. She can at least give it a try. I'm currently on tablets foe anxiety and been feeling great the past few days which is why I want to now try and stop smoking. Hopefully successfully with a clear mind

Jins Thu 02-Nov-17 18:00:05

Good luck with the Pockex. It's such a cute little thing. If it was rebuildable I'd love one

As far as nicotine levels go I'd start with 18mg if only for the first few weeks. Just vape through the urge to smoke. I didn't think I'd be able to break my smoking addiction but I have at last. 30 years of it blush

Tuttytoffee Thu 02-Nov-17 18:05:38

Thanks jins I've been smoking 17 years. Need to quit at some point. I can't justify spending £70 per week on it and knowing what's it's doing to my health. I know it's always easier said than done but I do feel quite determined to stop this time. For good. My starter kit is coming Saturday as that was the earliest delivery. I'll go into a shop tomorrow and get some juice ready for then and probably start Sunday. The 1st one of the day is always the biggest one for me. It's that one i crave the most. As soon as I wake. Well done on you quitting, hopefully I'll be saying the same some time soon.

ZepellinBend Thu 02-Nov-17 18:08:25

Liquids I also would start with 18mg even for first week. I did that then bought some 12mg and over a week mixed the two and reduced the 18 until I was down to 12.

I was a 20 a day and once vaping was able to go out for a run no problem (used to run before I started smoking again). The odd night when drinking I have a cigarette but they taste vile now I'm used to nice flavours.

Good luck.

Jins Thu 02-Nov-17 18:29:49

I'm not bothered about reducing my nicotine level too much. I still vape 18mg a lot of the time but I've got 12mg on the go as well. If I'm using my sub ohm kit I'll vape 3 or 6.

There's loads of support here. I found it really helpful. Inspiring too when you read some of the old vaping threads and see the same posters here having quit for years. I've nearly done 10 months and I've not smoked or wanted to

ZepellinBend Thu 02-Nov-17 18:31:46

I had to because it gave me heartburn Jins, 12 is fine though.

Polter Thu 02-Nov-17 18:41:54

I'd probably buy both 18 and 12 strength liquids to start as you might find 18 too harsh. At £1 for 10ml I really can't fault onepoundeliquid and it means you can play around with flavours and strengths quite cheaply. Tobacco flavours are generally vile though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now