Talk

Advanced search

Quitter's flu?

(12 Posts)
HereBeFuckery Thu 27-Apr-17 06:26:23

I quit smoking, and started vaping exclusively on Sunday morning - so I'm four days in.

I feel like I have flu - chills, shivery, the most appalling sore throat, blocked nose, aching all over, brain is so foggy I walked away from checkout without paying yesterday - would have walked out of shop if the lady hadn't called me back.

I've read that there is 'quitter's flu' - does this sound right to you? I'm asking because DD has something miserable too - high temp, sore throat, and I'm not sure whether to go to docs for both of us, or whether I have to be brave and use it to keep on quitting - gotta say, the sore throats really helps. In no way ever could I have a scratchy horrid fag now.

Otherwise, I'm finding it okay, have a nice app that tells me I've saved more than £40 already, and all the health benefits, which is v motivating. It's just this damn dizzy, shaky shit feeling. Help!

magimedi Thu 27-Apr-17 08:07:16

I've never heard of quitters' flu - it sounds to me as if you have a bug & it's just coincidence that it's come as you are quitting.

It's normal to get a cough (all the muck coming up) & feel thirsty & it's good to up fluid intake but not full blown flu, AFAIK.

Well done & keep going and hope you feel better soon.

HereBeFuckery Thu 27-Apr-17 08:14:10

Bum. I don't need to be ill right now! Maybe a day of quiet (ha, with a 3 yo) will sort me out.
Not got the coughing, it's much more in my throat.
Thanks!

Yellowcups Thu 27-Apr-17 08:17:43

I was sick initially. Or rather I was feeling down without nicotine whilst still hacking up a storm which in turn gave me headaches etc.

Mil gave up after 50 + years when she had a bough of chest infection. Infection went in for weeks but a year on she's fit as a fiddle and because she taste food is no longer a size 4 but healthy 8.

Good luck

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 27-Apr-17 08:26:55

I definitely get the foggy brain and difficulty concentrating without cigarettes, it felt to me like I was losing my mind slightly! Your vaping should lessen the nicotine withdrawals and help with those symptoms. It does sound as though you have a bug as well though..
Hope you feel better soon and good luck. smile

HereBeFuckery Thu 27-Apr-17 08:49:52

Thank you chaps, I'm really determined, and vaping is definitely stopping the worst of nicotine withdrawal. Off to stock up on Lemsip! At least the throat/dizzy head/chills is great for having zero cravings - I never used to smoke when I had a cold/flu anyway, so maybe it's good timing.

Will read more on interesting vape flavours, probably have a million more questions!

PolterGoose Thu 27-Apr-17 16:28:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Thu 27-Apr-17 16:31:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HereBeFuckery Thu 27-Apr-17 17:11:20

Menthol! That's next on my list to try.
I'm 99% sure I have tonsillitis. White spots on tonsils and everything. Which is shit, cos I want to sob from the pain, but great in that I haven't even thought about smoking today. I've been too busy trying not to claw my own throat out.
#silverlining.
Thank you for the flowers I do feel a bit pathetic, but I'm pleased to be able to be on the Stop Smoking boards as a legit non smoker rather than lurking and wishing I had more will power.

HereBeFuckery Mon 15-May-17 22:45:26

Just came back to say - it was tonsillitis, and I'm now 3 weeks and 1 day into vaping and no stinkies, and after the lurgy fucked off, feel so much better. Thanks for your help smile

magimedi Tue 16-May-17 17:13:50

Well done on your 3 weeks!

Keep going - I am coming up to 5 years!

HereBeFuckery Wed 17-May-17 19:46:18

That's amazing magimedi that's where I want to be in four years, eleven months and a bit!

I'm still experimenting with juice flavours - are the cheap ones less flavourful than expensive ones? I've bought a load from one pound e liquid site, but wonder if it's worth going higher end?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now