Talk

Advanced search

I'm stopping smoking tomorrow

(14 Posts)
calmday Sun 16-Apr-17 18:38:36

I have decided that tomorrow I'm going to stop smoking. I had a failed attempt recently when I stopped for five days and then started again. I don't know if I'll go cold turkey or if I'll use nicotine gum, I have plenty in the cupboard if I need it.
Wish me luck

Wolfiefan Sun 16-Apr-17 18:39:31

Fantastic news OP. Your health and wallet will thank you for it. The very best of luck.

calmday Sun 16-Apr-17 18:50:05

Thankyou wolfie

Ollivander84 Sun 16-Apr-17 18:55:28

Don't be scared to use an e cig either - the important thing is not smoking cigarettes, no matter how you do it smile

UncontrolledImmigrant Sun 16-Apr-17 18:59:42

Me too, but I smoked my last one an hour ago. We can do this ✊🏼

PolterGoose Sun 16-Apr-17 19:04:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumofthemonsters808 Sun 16-Apr-17 19:11:07

I'm a month in, I've not had a single cigarette for 28 days and I'm determined I'm going to crack this. It's not been easy, Im still craving, i could very easily run to the shop and buy 10 Silk Cut, but I won't because I'm never smoking again.You can do this, if I can, anyone can.

intrusivethoughts Sun 16-Apr-17 19:28:25

Good luck! Today is my 4 year anniversary since quitting.
You can do it too smile

countycouncil Sun 16-Apr-17 19:30:46

Very best of luck. I can't recommend the Allen Carr Easy Way to Stop Smoking book enough. It's boring and poorly written but it works. Almost 7 years off them. I read it and never looked back

FATEdestiny Sun 16-Apr-17 19:33:19

Yey! Good luck!

Lots of nicotine replacement. Lots and lots. More than you are expecting.

Better to have nicotine replacement than a cigarette.

I gave up 1st January 2013. I will never, ever smoke again smile

calmday Sun 16-Apr-17 19:53:00

Well done to everyone for quitting.
I have used e cigs in the past, it did work really well for me but in the end they broke and I was straight back on the cigarettes. I did buy two more recently but for some reason they only worked for two days before giving up on me and stopping producing enough smoke. I don't know why this is. My partner says he thinks it's cos I over-use them.
I've got Allen Carr's book and I've read it several times, I think it's good but it hasn't stopped me smoking.
So I'm just left with the gum. I have a few patches left in the cupboard aswell.

PencilsInSpace Sun 16-Apr-17 20:02:34

If you are using NRT use enough to kill the cravings almost completely and use it longer than you think you'll need it. Double up on patches and shorter acting types like gum. Inhalators and sprays provide the quickest 'hit' of nicotine.

If you want to have another go with ecigs get a decent one that won't stop working after 2 days. Try to find a local vape shop that can set you up with kit that works, and you can go back with any problems you have. If you don't have a shop locally, lots of people on here can advise on good starter kits you can buy online. Don't listen to your partner, no such thing as overusing an ecig. If it's keeping you off the fags you're doing it right. There's just a lot of shit kit about.

Don't forget your local stop smoking services they have a comparatively good success rate and can support you whatever method you use. They can also prescribe NRT or champix free.

Good luck!

BubbleBed Sun 16-Apr-17 20:03:12

Good luck! I quit August 9th 2012, after smoking on and off since 1996. It's worth it. It's hard, i still crave them every now and then now, and say I'm a smoker who just not had a cigarette in years tbh, but i feel better for it.

One thing i needed was something to replace it though. A hobby, a sweet, something. Good luck!

calmday Mon 17-Apr-17 09:12:04

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Well this is my first morning smoke free and I'm really struggling already. I've got a piece of nicotine gum in my mouth. I've got to remember that although the cravings are unpleasant they won't harm me. I feel like I can't do anything without the reward of a cigarette. I'm going to try to be strong. The temptation is always there since we always have tobacco in the house cos my partner smokes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now