Talk

Advanced search

Words of advice/kindness greatly appreciated!

(12 Posts)
MeIAm Thu 22-Dec-16 18:43:22

I decided to give up smoking this year and my quit date is fast approaching! After my previous 2 half hearted attempts a few years ago I really want to quit for good this time!

I would love to go cold turkey but the bought actually scares me blush (I feel so stupid admitting that!) I have an ecig and Allen Carr book ready this time and am motivated to save money and be able to breath and exercise properly.

I have been smoking for about 25 years, at times chain smoking, now am down to 20 a day (still a lot I know).

I stink, my house stinks (from me! Not from smoking in it), it cost me a fortune, I'm so unhealthy - I just need to quit but I fear it's going to be a long, hard slog sad

1happyhippie Thu 22-Dec-16 18:48:12

I stopped smoking two years ago.
I smoked 20 (at least), a day. It was costing a fortune and everything stunk of smoke.
I bought a vape, with tobacco liquid and picked a day to stop. I through out the ashtrays and lighters on that day.
I have never looked back. I have not had a cigarette since. I have had a couple of moments of wanting one, but they soon passed.
Now, I can't stand to smell cigarette smoke.
Good luck.

FATEdestiny Thu 22-Dec-16 18:55:36

I gave up smoking 1st Janusry 2013, used nicotine replacement lozenges for 16 months and stopped all nicotine April 2014.

I will never, ever smoke again.

Do it gradually and use lots and lots of nicotine replacement. In fact go so far as using too much NRT for way, way longer than you expect to.

Doing it gradually assisted in a complete mindset change for me. I don't miss cigarettes, I will never smoke again. I have zero desire to

I got to that point by never, ever denying myself. Even now there is half a pack of nicotine lozenges in my medicine cupboard. If ever I was to have a passing 'i want a cigarette' moment I would have no qualms or guilt having a lozenge. I've never denied myself nicotine and I never will. But I'll have nicotine in lozenge form, not a cigarette. I've not even had a passing fancy for nicotine since April 14.

I'm not a fan of ecigs tho. I think breaking the hand to mouth movement is exactly what NRT is for. Plus separating "nicotine" for "smoking" (ie "I need some nicotine" instead of "I need to smoke")

RealHouswifeofBury Thu 22-Dec-16 18:55:53

I stopped smoking cigarettes in October. After 26 years of smoking 20 a day.
I had tried numerous times and failed. I am using a mixture of vape and lozenges. I've not had a cigarette for 64 days now.
Good luck op

FATEdestiny Thu 22-Dec-16 18:56:20

I forgot to say good luck!

I was a 25-30 a day smoker when I stopped.

mamalovebird Thu 22-Dec-16 19:03:26

DH & I got an app which kept a total of how much we were saving by not smoking. Really hits home. Current total.....

MeIAm Thu 22-Dec-16 19:13:44

Wow mama that is amazing!

Thank you all for replying. You all seem to have done really well. Hopefully this time next year I can say the same smile

RealHouswifeofBury Thu 22-Dec-16 19:20:23

I have a app like mammas, it really does help

MeIAm Thu 22-Dec-16 19:26:46

Can I ask what the apps are called please? Being able to check progress if I have a wobble sounds like an idea!

RealHouswifeofBury Thu 22-Dec-16 20:03:55

Mine is smoke free

LittleTownOfBethanysHen Thu 22-Dec-16 20:09:47

MelAm, just want to jump on board and say good luck and focus on what your end goal is. I have never smoked but am from a family of smokers. My DB smoked for 20+ years and tried giving up many times because he thought he should not because he wanted to. When he wanted to give up he did it with the aid of nicotine spray. He now hasn't smoked for 4/5years. Good luck and don't lose sight of your end goal.

SuzanneF Thu 23-Feb-17 11:56:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now