Help on quitting please!

(19 Posts)
Buggers Mon 08-Aug-16 22:07:15

Going cold turkey from tomorrow, can anyone recommend anything that helped them quit? I've got an ecig ready but is there anything else to help the craving?

Ginmakesitallok Mon 08-Aug-16 22:08:20

My ecig was enough to stop the craving. You can do this!

Buggers Mon 08-Aug-16 22:10:07

Thanks, how long have you gone without smoking?

Ginmakesitallok Mon 08-Aug-16 22:13:19

Just over 3 years now. Was on 30 a day, never managed to stop before (even when pregnant blush ) Since starting e cigs I've lit 3 cigs, never managed to smoke a whole one. Last cig I lit was over a year ago. It was easy!

Buggers Mon 08-Aug-16 22:15:01

Well donegrin!

Ginmakesitallok Mon 08-Aug-16 22:43:37

No congratulations needed- if I'd known it would be so easy I should have done it years ago.

wonderwoo Mon 08-Aug-16 22:45:10

What worked for me, was to have one solid reason for giving up, that if I was starting to feel like I might start smoking again, I just said to myself "do you want that cigarette or do you want....". It worked. It has to be something you really really want, that you cannot have if you smoke. And not something general or too sensible like to want to be healthier. For me, it was having a baby. So if I ever started to think about smoking again I would say to myself "do you want a ciggie or a baby". Is there something you would love to save up for, something you have always wanted, maybe a holiday of a lifetime or a new exciting hobby? You could use money saved from smoking to pay for it.

I also changed my routine, and planned what to do for parts of the day that I knew would be harder. For example, I used to smoke as soon as I got up in the morning, and always enjoyed that first smoke of the day. Instead I brought a book with daily readings and would read that each day with a cuppa. It gave me another focus.

I also had a nicorette inhalator which I hardly used, but liked to have as a safety net, and it was something to hold. On the box it came in, it gave me access to an online thing you could do. You signed up and it gave daily support and exercises to do. I found it very helpful and kept my focus.

Reframe it positively in your mind: you are not giving up, you are stopping smoking. You are not in the middle of a process, you are now a non- smoker. These small changes to how you see it make a difference to your state of mind.

I smoked 20-30 day and have not smoked a single cigarette for 7 and a half years now. I think preparation is key. Think in advance about why you are doing this. And about what you anticipate to be the most difficult times and plan for these.

Good on you for stopping. I still feel proud for stopping smoking and I am sure you can do it too.

Wotshudwehave4T Mon 08-Aug-16 22:49:28

Patches and if your GP has a smoking cessation counsellor go and see them for moral support and weekly check ins. Well done for deciding and good luck. I've heard it said that the addiction is harder to kick than cocaine so don't feel bad if you wobble on the way- start again and don't give up giving up

Dutchcourage Mon 08-Aug-16 22:51:14

Good luck!!

I liked my vapour cig too much to ween myself off of it so just had to go cold turkey.

I love smoking but each time I've got pregnant I've begrudgingly give up.

Honest to god - if I can give up any one can!

It's fucking tough and the first few days are shit. 27 weeks in and I still fancy a fag sometimes.

Get rid of all fags - no emergency ones.
Actually cross each day off so you can see how well your doing
Plenty of sugar free sweets
Stay of the alcahol
Avoid folk that smoke
If you have s brew in the morning with s fag - scrap that too!

Good luck again !!

KindDogsTail Mon 08-Aug-16 22:55:24

Don't eat sugar: you will crave sugar, but if you ignore that your own blood sugar will get normal really very soon. Eat protein with fruit/vegetables/fibre snacks frequently - at least every three hours as that stabilises sugar. I know it seems odd but cravings are cravings and they are all linked. (Ex-smokers who are eating sugar and biscuits are doing the same thing in another form.)

Look up supplements to help against cravings.

Get enough sleep, but do not over sleep.

Breathe deeply into your lungs - research shows part of the pleasure of smoking comes from that deep inhalation. Without the cigarettes you may breathe too shallowly.

Drink plenty of water. Avoid coffee and alcohol for now as they may trigger a smoking urge.

Look up EFT for addictions or buy a book. (Emotional Healing in Minutes) Do what it says it really works.

If by any chance you have a glitch, don't see that as failure. Learn from it and go straight back on with your plan. If you buy cigarettes have one or two, then soak the rest in water mash them and out them in the bin.

Good luck flowers

KindDogsTail Mon 08-Aug-16 22:57:58

Sugar free sweets may give you bad tummy aches and some of those sweeteners make cravings worse! (You could look that up.)

Pickled chillies help a lot, strangely.

Buggers Mon 08-Aug-16 23:02:47

Thank you all for your advicesmile.

TheEmperorIsNaked Mon 08-Aug-16 23:17:40

I gave up 18 months ago and I'm over the moon about it.

I had patches, nicotine gum and lozenges, and an e-cig to help with the withdrawal, and a bit of money for treating myself to little things like magazines, books and a new DS game for distraction. My family supported me by being extra kind and understanding of any unreasonable behaviour on my behalf. I basically was indulged like a spoilt child for a week.

It's the best thing I've ever done.

Good luck!

KindDogsTail Tue 09-Aug-16 11:54:12

Same here about the best thing ever in the end. When you are smoking you cannot image it, and sometimes a little addiction voice will try to make you think you are missing out, but that is a trick voice.

It really is so nice when you have stopped, and it does not prevent you from enjoying yourself - it is like release from prison.

You can have no idea how much easier it is to breathe, to not get tired out.
And your mind comes out of a hazy fug too.

Buggers Tue 09-Aug-16 12:11:29

I'm feeling good so far! I'm sure I'll have some bad cravings soon though!

KindDogsTail Tue 09-Aug-16 18:38:39

Well Done!

wonderwoo Wed 10-Aug-16 16:43:42

Brilliant. Keep going! A day at a time...

Buggers Wed 10-Aug-16 18:39:05

Thankssmile. Been rather emotional today lol, although I'm doing better than I expected. Definitely wouldn't be able to do it without my ecig though! grin

KindDogsTail Fri 12-Aug-16 18:10:18

Well done.

Lots of people have stopped through e cigarettes so don't worry. You are doing brilliantly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now