What are the health Benefits of switching to vaping ?

(15 Posts)
reebsr33bs Wed 27-Jul-16 20:10:54

I switched from cigarettes to vape stick on Sunday. I'm finding it difficult. I feel low and I'm looking for progress stats to cling onto,
But as I'm still using nicotine (6mg) I can't use the normal statistics of nicotine leaving body aren't you doing well type apps !!

Please give me a boost !!!!!!

NoahVale Wed 27-Jul-16 20:16:09

you lose a lot of the nasty chemicals.
and the tobacco
you dont smell
definitely healthier.
i lost my wheeze

i started on 18 mg, and went down to 12 mg , 6 mg sounds low.

ilovesooty Wed 27-Jul-16 20:17:46

Your gums improve and you'll keep your teeth longer.

PolterGoose Wed 27-Jul-16 20:21:33

This BBC article based on the documentary with the eminently sensible Dr Michael Mosley is a good start.

Unless you were a very light smoker or you're sub ohm vaping 6mg nicotine is very low. It tends to be best to start high and reduce when you're ready. Nicotine is no more harmful to most people than caffeine. It's not the nicotine in fags that's harmful, it's all the other toxins and tar, nicotine is 'just' very addictive.

I've been vaping for 2 years and 3 months now. I've reduced from 18mg to 6mg strength juices. I had smoked for 28 years and never been able to give up. I expect I'll vape forever.

FurryDogMother Thu 28-Jul-16 10:52:23

Have a look here - and congratulations!

iPost Thu 28-Jul-16 10:55:14

I can breath much better.

When I catch a cold I no longer end up laid low for weeks with a bad chest.

I've gone from 22% nicotine when I first got it down to 4%, which I'll start cutting with 0% next week. So hope thst soon the e-cig will just be something I have to hand in emergencies.

ThinkPinkStink Thu 28-Jul-16 10:55:32

I swapped cigarettes (10-15 per day) for vaping five years ago (I started at 18mg, at the point of getting pregnant I was down to 4mg).

Since I've been pregnant (now 30 weeks) I've just stopped vaping - I don't know if it would have been this easy to give up cigarettes.

I think it's generally agreed that vaping is less unhealthy than smoking (simply due to the number of chemicals in cigarettes vs. vaping liquid) - but the main difference I found that vaping is much less anti-social, as it doesn't leave a lingering smell.

ThinkPinkStink Thu 28-Jul-16 10:56:02

Sorry, I mean 'just' stopped as in 'simple stopped' rather than stopped recently.

reebsr33bs Thu 28-Jul-16 11:38:13

I wonder if the 6mg is too low as I'm really struggling and smoked two cigarettes last night
I started on the higher nicotine but j can't stand the harsh throat hit and they made me feel sick/headachey/dizzy X

PolterGoose Thu 28-Jul-16 11:56:15

What brand and flavour juice are you using? I'm really sensitive to throat hit and find some juices much harsher than others.

reebsr33bs Thu 28-Jul-16 13:21:56

@poltergoose I haven't got it to hand - what would you recommend X

PolterGoose Thu 28-Jul-16 13:28:41

The 2 things that give throat hit are nicotine and PG, so if you need more nicotine but want to reduce the throat hit you probably need to use juice with less PG. Cheaper juices tend to be higher PG.

Some flavours also are more harsh. I tend to vape creamy custardy juices which are mostly quite smooth. I'm currently on a mint one which is fine.

reebsr33bs Fri 29-Jul-16 21:16:00

Thanks for advice smile another day done and no 'analogue' fails - really feel like I'm going to do it this time and so happy X

PolterGoose Fri 29-Jul-16 21:19:38

It really is trial and error at the beginning, and it's really important to count the fags you haven't smoked smile

Well done. It gets easier.

SaucyJack Tue 02-Aug-16 22:09:31

Look for a flavour with mint/menthol in it.

Tends to have a cooling effect which can be a bit milder if you're not used to the hit of vaping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now