Wish me luck!

(22 Posts)
RoseGoldHippie Sun 10-Jul-16 23:07:31

My partner and I have decided to start ttc our first child - so tomorrow is going cold turkey stop smoking day! (Set the date about 2 weeks ago - gosh it's come round fast!)

Anyway I was wondering / hoping some of you may be able to offer some tips or advice for quitting smoking - the main thing I keep thinking about is the poor little bubby going through nicotine withdrawal after birth (don't want to know if this isnt quite accurate - gives me motivation haha!)

Thanks in advance all smile

KittyOShea Sun 10-Jul-16 23:09:26

Good luck Rose. I have pencilled in 1st August for my quit date so will hopefully be joining you a few weeks in!

RoseGoldHippie Sun 10-Jul-16 23:10:24

Hey Kitty - good luck!! It will come round so fast!! We can totally so this! Xx

KittyOShea Sun 10-Jul-16 23:12:02

For sure. I quit for a year once- keeping busy was the key for me so I am planning on buying adult colouring in books to keep my hands busy!

RoseGoldHippie Sun 10-Jul-16 23:14:52

Ah that's a good idea! I am thinking of brining my sowing machine out of retirement haha! I have never really attempted to quit but have wanted to many times always had excuses like trying to loose weight etc. However 10 years down the line I'm still fat and still smoke so am just gonna go for it! Xx

Wolfiefan Sun 10-Jul-16 23:16:57

Have a look at NHS support. Is cold turkey best for you? Think of all the money you can save towards lovely stuff for you or your new family.
Good luck.

RoseGoldHippie Sun 10-Jul-16 23:20:38

Thank you wolfie - I think it has to be to be honest I think I'm getting a bit deaperate to stop - I just want to be 6 months down the line hahaha x

Wolfiefan Sun 10-Jul-16 23:29:08

Not saying it can't be. Just it doesn't work for everyone. Things I found helped. Avoid situations when I wanted one. (Ages before I could have a pint in a pub!) Keep hands busy (puzzles or colour or knit!) Tell people. Enlist support. Reward yourself for each milestone.

Imisscheese Sun 10-Jul-16 23:35:24

Good luck! I quit when I found out I was pregnant with DS1 (unplanned!). I found thinking about the baby really helped me stop. Previously I hadn't been able to. I actually found it really easy, whereas previously I'd found it really hard. I think it's the difference in motivation for me. I know it's a nightmare so wishing you all the best. Xxx

RoseGoldHippie Sun 10-Jul-16 23:47:51

Wolfie-I have dragged all my craft stuff out of the cupboard - bf is not happy to see the return of the glitter !! Never mind! I'm going to set some mini goal rewards - I love writing lists so that is going to be my distraction tomorrow at my 10:30 fag break!

Cheese- thank you!! I just hope I can get through the first 3 days - I think once I have cracked that I should be okay. Invested in lots of packs of gum haha! Xx

Allergictoironing Mon 11-Jul-16 08:04:32

Another good one is for every pack you don't smoke, put the money in cash into a jar or box. When you start to get a craving, go count all the money you've saved. Make sure that at least some of the savings are spent on or put towards something special like new clothes (that don't smell of smoke grin) or a meal out.

RoseGoldHippie Mon 11-Jul-16 12:38:21

Ok so I am half way through day 1 - have fracked and bought some patches - just think it might take the edge off of the panicking feeling!

KittyOShea Mon 11-Jul-16 14:55:39

Well done rose! Much better than buying cigarettes star

RoseGoldHippie Mon 11-Jul-16 20:47:56

Thank you kitty! They deffo helped! Having some choc infront of the tele now smile ahh cravings are quite bad this evening - must proceed - do not cave!!! X

KittyOShea Tue 12-Jul-16 17:03:54

How's it going today Rose?

RoseGoldHippie Tue 12-Jul-16 17:55:22

Hi kitty- still haven't smoked I think the patch is really helping. I have also developed a new found love of smints mints which seem to be taking the craving away as much as the patch to be honest. Sugar free too! How are you? Xx

KittyOShea Tue 12-Jul-16 18:33:36

That's great Rose. Well done. They say the first 3 days are the hardest so you're more than half way there!

RoseGoldHippie Tue 12-Jul-16 21:30:40

Thursday and Friday are going to be the tests - I travel a lot with with work and am doing 2 long drives each day - I love smoking while I drive sad will keep you updated!! Xx

RoseGoldHippie Thu 14-Jul-16 23:21:08

Test day 1 ... Cracked it!! Still no cigarettes and feelin good! Will update tomorrow!! Hehe xx

obrigada Fri 15-Jul-16 14:33:24

Well done Rose, I had blood tests done this week and got a call from doctor just before lunch, my cholesterol is reading 8, have family history of high cholesterol and I smoke way too much. She told me to just stop, not to have another cigarette as I am at risk of a heart attack. I smoked 2 over the lunch break but that's it. I will be watching your thread with interest smile

RoseGoldHippie Sat 16-Jul-16 08:17:59

Good luck obrigada! You will smash it! Are you using any NRT? X

KylieJo Wed 27-Jul-16 13:32:43

Don't overobsess over quitting, else smoking will be on top of your mind at all times. Be busy with other stuff so that you don't have time to think about it. The early stage of quitting is the most important.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now