Talk

Advanced search

Advice

(11 Posts)
IthinkIamsinking Fri 20-May-16 06:16:43

Could someone recommend a starting point for vaping..... know nothing about it but desperately need to quit smoking.
Has anyone given up in their late 40's having smoked for years?
Feel a bit overwhelmed at the moment

singingstones Fri 20-May-16 06:47:38

My advice would be to go to the GP and get them to prescribe Champix for you - it makes giving up so much easier, it's miraculous!

Ginmakesitallok Fri 20-May-16 07:00:38

Find a reputable shop and go in for advice. I've been vaping for almost 3 years, I was 39 when I stopped, I'd been smoking for over 20 years, 30 a day. Deciding to try vaping is the best decision I've ever made.

Allergictoironing Fri 20-May-16 07:13:39

Seconding Gin - find a really decent local shop and talk to the guys in there.

I am in my 50s and had smoked since my early teens, I was on a good 30 fags a day. I haven't had a cigarette for well over 2 years now.

Singingstones not everyone can use champix or xyban - nobody on anti-depressants should be prescribed them and some people react very badly to them.

magimedi Fri 20-May-16 08:00:27

Agree with finding a decent local shop. They will show you how it all works which is invaluable.

I gave up nearly 4 years ago at the age of 57 having smoked for 40 odd years & I haven't looked back. (I still vape).

My health has improved hugely & I can now exercise properly & have dropped a size in clothing.

Good luck & do come back with any questions you have - none are too silly, we've all been there at the start of vaping.

(First time I refilled my vape I poured it straight through the kit onto the table grin )

BlossomCat Fri 20-May-16 08:12:24

I've been vaping for two months now, I just want into a local shop and chatted to the chaps there. I stopped smoking the next day. I found vaping a good way to stop, and the realisation that I no longer stank of smoke drove me forward
I've also downloaded a stop smoking app on my phone, it's been a god incentive to look at how long, and how much money I've saved.
I'm 49 and I have smoked on an off since I was 14. This is the easiest it's ever been as I don't feel that I'm being deprived of cigarettes. Good luck, you can do it!

magimedi Fri 20-May-16 08:20:26

Well done, BlossomCat, that's brilliant.

Can I just add that some of us 'dual fuelled' for a while. I vaped & smoked cigs for about 3 weeks & then totally quit the cigs - easily.

The action of vaping & the way you draw the vape in is different to smoking - it's a slow smooth pull, not a gasp.

It's the cigs you aren't smoking that you count!

And (maybe TMI) a vape & a coffee in the morning have the same opening effect as a cig + coffee. grin

TotalConfucius Fri 20-May-16 08:24:14

Yes, I'm 48 and 8 months into vaping. It's changed my life after 33 years as a smoker on 35 fags a day.
It took about six months to get to the point of making the decision to give vaping a try, then I walked into a vaping shop very early one morning when it was empty.
I said "ok, I'm through the door, what do I do now?"
Then the staff took over.
I am on the vaping chat thread, first post on there last October, so if you want to read my experiences, please do.

PlentyOfPubeGardens Fri 20-May-16 19:32:46

I started smoking when I was 12 and finally quit in my mid 40's thanks to vaping.

Definitely go to your local vape shop for your first kit if you can, it's so helpful to have someone show you how it all fits together and how to fill it etc. also most are very good if you run into problems and need to take it back for advice. If you don't have a vape shop locally, come back and we'll recommend something and help you iron out any problems you're having.

You'll basically need:

a battery
a tank
some liquid

Preferably get two batteries and tanks and a few different flavour liquids. Avoid anything called 'sub-ohm' at this stage, they're for people who like to hoover the vapour straight into their lungs and blow Big Clouds. That might be something you want to explore later but for now you probably want something that's closer to the way you smoke.

yy to dual fuelling in the early days. There's nothing worse than trying to sort out malfunctioning kit while nicotine deprived! I switched completely in the space of a day but DH took a year to drop the last fag. Quitting smoking is a big positive change for the rest of your life - you're allowed to take a bit of time to make sure you get it right.

Welshmaenad Wed 25-May-16 18:58:38

Another vote for finding a good independent Vape shop and asking staff for advice - if you're in South Wales I highly recommend The Vapour Den in Pontypridd/Aberdare/Brecon or Key Vapours in Merthyr.

user1467183835 Fri 01-Jul-16 07:16:12

Anyone recommend a good vapour shop in Liverpool? How much on average is all the stuff to start? Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now