Talk

Advanced search

My second day of not smoking

(18 Posts)
mildredbogeywoman Thu 07-Jan-16 15:30:38

Hi all. Can I just chat a bit to give my hands something to do?

I stopped yesterday...so this is my second day since I quite and I am just using a bit of gum.

I was a 20 - 30 a day smoker for about 20 years. I didn't even stop when pregnant I am ashamed to say.

Toay is the second day and I am not sure what to expect. Today I definitely feel a bit odd. Foggy headed and confused.

When does it start to feel good?

Any tips?

Bringiton2016 Thu 07-Jan-16 15:43:46

Get the free cessation nation app. It really helps. The first three weeks giving up is the biggest deal ever, it's all you can think about. After week 3 you hardly think about it. It really does move to the background. Good luck.

mildredbogeywoman Thu 07-Jan-16 16:09:16

Thanks! it feels pretty horrible today!

Wolfiefan Thu 07-Jan-16 16:11:13

I can't help but can I just say well done! Every hour you don't smoke is great. What will you do with all the money you save?!

mildredbogeywoman Thu 07-Jan-16 18:17:05

Oh thanks so much.

It's harder now DS is home.

His laptop isn't working.

He's lost his homework login.

What's for dinner.

Gaaaah! Just want quiet!

hmm...the extra money, what a good point. Mad to think I was spending over £400 a month on it!

HeffalumpTrap Thu 07-Jan-16 18:27:48

I found it so hard to quit - needed the motivation of TTC - DH refused to start trying until I'd been cigarette free for a month, so well done for doing this!! It's so hard but it does get better after a few weeks. I found the nicotine gum really helpful for when I was feeling desperate, it took he edge off a bit.

Do you have another bank account? Every time you think of having a cigarette transfer the money accross so you can see how much you're saving every day

PlentyOfPubeGardens Thu 07-Jan-16 20:28:57

Well done Mildred, you're doing brilliantly flowers

If you're using NRT the trick is to use enough to effectively tackle the cravings and to use it for long enough to have adequately dealt with the 'habit' part (hand-to-mouth urge, fag break routine etc.) before you tackle the nicotine addiction. Don't try to skimp on it and if you think you need more than the recommended dose that's fine - you won't OD, if you have too much you'll just feel a bit sick and spit it out. It's also fine to double up with patches if you find you're struggling.

Short term, you might experience insomnia, constipation, shit hair and skin and low mood. These should all sort themselves out in the first 2-3 weeks. Medium term, you might put on a bit of weight - your metabolism will be slightly slower without nicotine and compensatory comfort eating can be a problem, especially as your sense of taste and smell return. You might get a cough over the first few days, this is because the scillia in your airways are no longer paralysed with gloop and can begin ejecting the buildup. Alternatively you might hoik up an occasional blob (sorry) every few weeks for the first year or so, especially if you've been smoking for a long time. You may experience dizziness in the first few days as your brain gets used to a normal supply of oxygen.

It's all worth it!

- exercise is your friend. It'll give you a feel-good glow which will help with cravings and as time goes on you can marvel at your increased lung capacity and fitness level. A short 5 minute walk (not past fag shops!) can get you safely through a craving, they don't last long.

- prioritise your quit attempt. Things are a lot easier after the first few weeks so for now, duck out of any situations you might find difficult if you can, especially if alcohol will be involved.

- have a bath and/or go to bed early if you're craving in the evenings.

- plan ahead - what situations will you find difficult without smoking? How will you handle them?

Good luck!

SoWhite Thu 07-Jan-16 20:38:24

Get an ecig - and get a low 6mg nicotine one, or better nicotine free. Puff as normal, but only when craving. Really, really does help.

ShatterResistant Thu 07-Jan-16 21:15:16

I'm so glad I found your thread. I've quit too, on New Year's Day. I was doing really well until yesterday, when I was very hungover after a friend's party, and my will power completely failed! Back on it today, though. Maybe we could support each other?

mildredbogeywoman Thu 07-Jan-16 21:21:57

Thanks so much to everyone for the fab replies, my head is so foggy I can;t muster anything clever to write back, but appreciate so much.

Shatter, I would love that.

I have such a hot date with sleepover tomorrow night, and I haven't seen him for a while as we were on holidays and i am SO excited to see him but worried I am so edgy!!!

Would love to be quit partners!!!!

Alwaysrushingaround Thu 07-Jan-16 22:01:52

I'd love to join this thread !
On day 4.. I found making a list of reasons why I'm quitting is really helping me smile

ShatterResistant Fri 08-Jan-16 17:45:36

Ooh, a hot date! With the new, non-smoking you! Wishing you loads of fun.

I've got through a couple of days of work, and now I'm spending the weekend with the DCs, which I find is much easier- the incentive to keep on quitting is right there in front of my eyes.

Always, what's on your list? I had a list a few years ago which I kept in my wallet. You reminded me, thank you.

Alwaysrushingaround Sun 10-Jan-16 22:43:49

My list
For my little boy who's 3 that I'll live longer for him
My skin- I don't want wrinkles!
That I won't have the horrible panic that every twinge in my chest or any body part could be terminal
The money- I'm in Ireland and its €10.50 a pack...
The fact that smokers stink- especially hair and fingers.. It's embarrassing

That's mainly it...
Would you like to share yours? 7 days smoke free today! Whoop!!!

Akire Sun 10-Jan-16 22:51:20

Well done that's great. Stopping disnt change your metoblisim as far as I'm away it's just smoking apresses your appetite so you actual feel "normal hungry" when you stop and put on weight when eat more. That's why all skinny models smoke!

PlentyOfPubeGardens Mon 11-Jan-16 08:50:22

Appetite suppression definitely plays a large part but metabolic changes are a factor too. See here and here.

grannycake Mon 11-Jan-16 09:09:41

Well done - I stopped 3 years ago after smoking for 40 years. I put the money away daily and after 6 months I spent it on a wood burner and fitting which I'd wanted for ages but couldn't afford. My DH & I now use half the savings in our house improvement pot and the other other half are divided between us for treats. By the way I didn't put on weight as I didn't start eating instead - did use sugar free sweets for a while from Aldi

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Sun 07-Feb-16 21:55:45

Can I join 2 day for me.

I booked a holiday to Florida, can't afford both.

Op I suggest you get some patches as well as gum. Then use the gum when you have an intense craving.

sam740 Mon 21-Mar-16 11:47:44

very good......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now