Talk

Advanced search

Vaping and MAOIs/anxiety

(7 Posts)
AgentCooper Tue 22-Dec-15 12:21:00

Hi nest of vapers,

I started vaping in Nov last year and was doing great until June of this year when I had a massive anxiety attack and started smoking again (undoubtedly prompted by tiredness, stress, alcohol and the fact that I'd become severely anaemic but wasn't aware). My blip lasted a few weeks and I've been vaping since with only a few slip ups.

My anxiety has been terrible recently. I can't believe how different I feel to this time in January or February. I was less anxious than I'd been in years and so pleased that I didn't have to smoke anymore. Like a complete fool, I've been googling and found threads on the e-cigarette forum about how the MAOIs (anti-depressants) in tobacco can make vaping much harder for some. This stupid thought has now entered my mind. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? I would have thought that I'd have been free of any withdrawals from these as I haven't had a cigarette since August and went for 6 months before without one and no problems. On other forums, people seem to suggest using liquid with whole tobacco alkaloids or Swedish Snus to combat this but I don't want to get re-addicted to anything.

Do you think this is related to MAOIs or is it just my anxious brain casting about for something to worry about?

BeezerBubble Tue 22-Dec-15 12:50:48

Possibly the kind of research that should be being done rather than burning eliquid to buggery and spreading panic far and wide, haven't seen any other than forum chat.
Might be of help to know that before prescribing some of the chantix type pills youre supposed to wait 14 days if you were on maoi medication so that it's clear of your system.

AgentCooper Tue 22-Dec-15 14:13:40

Thanks Beezer, so that suggests that they do leave your system in a period of weeks and therefore I wouldn't be suffering withdrawals after months.

PolterGoose Tue 22-Dec-15 15:15:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AgentCooper Tue 22-Dec-15 15:26:29

I'm a bit scared to, Polter. I want to be really careful not to develop a new addiction. I was absolutely fine for ages just vaping - 6 months without a hiccup and was convinced I'd never smoke again. The long period that it took before the anxiety arrived suggested to me that it couldn't be down to MAOI withdrawal. I've just got myself into a right state with anxiety this past while and I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow.

PolterGoose Tue 22-Dec-15 15:39:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AgentCooper Tue 22-Dec-15 19:19:30

Thanks Polter, I hope they can talk some sense into me. I've not been feeling right for ages but the most frustrating thing is that I know now that no smoking doesn't have to equal anxiety. I just need to get back to the good place i was in before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now