Talk

Advanced search

Do you call yourself a smoker?

(14 Posts)
Freeriver Thu 17-Dec-15 16:49:01

At the risk of sounding ridiculous (nothing new there) I just want to ask what you say when a doctor asks if you're a smoker?
I use e-cigs (E-Lites) but admit to having one or two max normal cigarettes a day - evenings with the first glass of wine !
Do you say "No I don't smoke" or "I smoke e-cigs" or what??

Dontneedausername Thu 17-Dec-15 18:35:21

i normally say i used to be, but now i smoke ecigs..
and get incredibly pissed off if someone tries to say that i am still a smoker!

PlentyOfPubeGardens Thu 17-Dec-15 19:42:54

I say I'm an ex-smoker and now a vaper. If they're not sure what 'vaper' means I say I use ecigs. I'm very careful not to use the word 'smoke', because it isn't.

Dontneedausername Thu 17-Dec-15 20:37:49

I usually say 'use' come to think of it!

Bedsheets4knickers Thu 17-Dec-15 20:40:37

I say no and pull a disgusted face lol , I'm a e-cig addict but don't admit that either wink

Allergictoironing Thu 17-Dec-15 21:45:29

I say I'm an ex-smoker, and that I use e-cigs. I would never say I "smoke" e-cigs because as Plenty says above, there is no smoke.

Yet another (young) GP very interested in how useful I'd found e-cigs in helping me stop smoking grin.

Gowgirl Fri 18-Dec-15 08:08:38

I'm currently having my 1st cig of the morning ( normally I'd be on no 4)
Today is the day that I start cutting down ready for quitting.
But I think I will always be a smoker at heart even once I'm not smoking.....

Freeriver Fri 18-Dec-15 11:16:35

Thank you all - that has been very helpful. Seen a few docs recently and I feel sort of guilty saying I'm an ex-smoker but use e-cigs now. It's almost as if I'm admitting something I'm a bit ashamed of, yet I should be proud of it really shouldn't I?

PlentyOfPubeGardens Sat 19-Dec-15 17:04:28

Yes you really should be proud flowers

Unfortunately, if you're still smoking one or two cigarettes a day, they'd still class you as a smoker anyway. If you want to ditch those last couple you might do better with a more powerful kit - it would work out a lot cheaper too, if you got a refillable.

FATEdestiny Sat 19-Dec-15 17:24:41

As above, you are still a smoker OP, albeit a light smoker. In addition, assuming you are using nicotine liquid, you are on NRT so continue to be addicted.

I only started considering myself an ex-smoker once I was free if all nicotine and habits. For me becoming an ex-smoker started 16 months after my last cigarette.

The 16 months I spent on NRT (I used lozenges), if asked if I smoked I would say I was giving up and using nicotine replacement. Saying anything else is just kidding yourself and frankly giving yourself more credit than is honestly due.

I would say that now, 3 years after my last cigarette (31.12.2012) and approaching 2 years NRT free (April 2014) I consider myself a non smoker. I'll never, ever smoke again.1

Allergictoironing Sat 19-Dec-15 17:39:55

People on some form of NRT may still be addicted to nicotine, but they definitely aren't smokers - they are not inhaling smoke i.e. combustion products. The reasons for health workers and insurers asking about smoking are because of the dangers of the combustion products as nicotine by itself and in the quantities taken in by NRT or vaping isn't harmful.

So when a medical professional asks me if I smoke I say that I don't any more, and if they ask how I stopped I wave my e-cig at them extolling it's virtues. None of them have ever tried to tell me I am still a smoker despite still being a nicotine addict.

PlentyOfPubeGardens Sat 19-Dec-15 18:58:50

Yy it's important to remember why smoking is a problem in the first place - it's NOT because of the nicotine. The 16 months you were on NRT, FATE, your body was already recovering from the damage done by smoking, just as if you'd gone cold turkey.

Some people would rather they weren't addicted to anything and that's fair enough, but vapers are not smokers and neither are long term NRT users.

Personally, I've stopped giving a shit if I'm still addicted to nicotine. I'm no longer causing myself health problems or harming those around me. I no longer smell and I'm saving a fortune. And I enjoy nicotine, just as I enjoy caffeine, to which I am also addicted. It's simply not a problem.

BeezerBubble Sat 19-Dec-15 22:48:45

As soon as you give up combustibles you're a non-smoker. My doctor couldn't wait to add me to their quota of cessation successes once I'd said I'd quit with ecigs.

U2HasTheEdge Tue 22-Dec-15 22:54:12

I'm an ex smoker.

I vape, but I don't smoke anything.

I don't mention I vape because it isn't relevant.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: