Talk

Advanced search

Pubs' policy on vaping

(65 Posts)
Destinysdaughter Sat 12-Dec-15 00:59:51

I'm a bit disappointed that vaping was initially allowed everywhere but I'm finding that most pubs still don't allow it so you're still stuck outside with the rest of the smokers. It sucks especially when it's cold! Guess either customers have complained about it or pubs are playing safe. It's so bloody annoying as the arguments as to why you couldn't smoke in a workplace don't apply to vaping, ie it's not harmful to others. Kind of makes me feel you might as well go outside and have a fag! (Tho I tend to go to the loo ad have a crafty vape as it leaves no trace..)

Just wanted to rant really as their is no solution to this and I guess pubs can do what they want. Does annoy me tho.

possum18 Sat 12-Dec-15 01:07:17

Our local pub (and Tesco) has the same rule, their reasoning is that vaping is used to replace smoking and therefore you wouldn't smoke inside, so why would you vape? I don't think vaping has any chance of causing 'passive or second hand' vaping like smoking would indoors, it's an odd reasoning! Never thought about people trying to quit having to stand out and second hand smoke!

Stoneagemum Sat 12-Dec-15 01:17:53

I'm on the fence with this as a recent vaping convert.

We had a works conference earlier in the year where people were vaping. On leaving the room then returning you could see and feel a cloud of cloying sickly fug in the air from the vapes.

Also they are designed as a smoking replacement so why should they be used when you would not smoke cigarettes?

I choose to still go outside when I vape as I would of had to when I smoked although my work does not have a policy on vaping.

Am I right or wrong?

DollyTwat Sat 12-Dec-15 01:24:01

I vape in the loo at work too!
I always ask if it's ok to vape if I'm out, mostly the answer is yes. I wouldn't if it was no, I'd just go outside with the smokers

Destinysdaughter Sat 12-Dec-15 01:25:33

I think that at a conference or where pp are eating it's not ok but in a pub where pp go to drink it should be allowed. Or have vaping areas. As I said before the arguments about it affecting staff's health don't apply with vaping and a few clubs and pubs do allow it. Maybe it's because the health risks haven't been established that pubs are erring on the side of caution? Bloody shame tho as so many pp have managed to kick fags through it. I think it should be encouraged not banned!

BeezerBubble Sat 12-Dec-15 01:27:00

Well smoking indoors was banned cos of health concerns. There are none with vaping. Should be down to individual businesses to decide what they allow. Vaping isn't smoking. We want more vapers and less smokers so everything should be done to encourage that.
This time of year what better encouragement could a smoker have to switch? Sit inside in the warm with a vape or standing outside in the freezing cold?

Destinysdaughter Sat 12-Dec-15 01:31:53

Exactly! I've tried so many times to quit fags and failed miserably. However I haven't smoked for a month and have got no desire to after finding the right vaping kit ( and a bit of willpower), it's like a bloody miracle and when I see smokers now I want to go up to them and tell them there's a better way where you can still get your nicotine fix but you don't have to kill/ bankrupt yourself in the process! It's such a great invention I wish society would support it rather than wanting to ban the fuck out of it everywhere!

BeezerBubble Sat 12-Dec-15 01:44:08

Surprisingly there are quite a few anti smoking organisations that see no need for indoor bans on vaping, unfortunately if a business wants to ban it they quote the BMA who are a) clueless b) ideologically opposed to vaping c) don't get invites to glitzy events promoting discussing latest Pharma product ecig.

chipsandpeas Sat 12-Dec-15 01:53:41

some pubs in edinburgh allow vaping inside but some dont

its like work, my work include it in there smoking policy so need to go outside, but some works alllow it inside

Stoneagemum Sat 12-Dec-15 02:02:56

I'm principle vaping as a cigarette replacement is ok. But vaping has expanded to these people who "sub ohm" or whatever the phrase is, that release a cloud of sickly cloying vapour into the air, not unlike the fog in the air that was experienced prior to 2007. We became used to clear air since the smoking ban and now because it is a smoking substitute is is ok again?
I'm an recent ex smoker and I will only vape in places smoking is acceptable

Baconyum Sat 12-Dec-15 02:03:46

There's nowhere near enough evidence to show vaping is safe either primarily or otherwise. Most of the 'research' saying its safe has been conducted or sponsored by...companies manufacturing vaping products! Friends of mine in the medical professions are already noting albeit anecdotally so far an increase in throat cancer in vapers.

BeezerBubble Sat 12-Dec-15 02:19:31

Absolute nonsense.
All evidence shows that vaping is far safer than smoking tobacco, that's the whole point.
Your friends are not competent in their jobs and should be reported to the relevant authorities as not fit to practice.

BathtimeFunkster Sat 12-Dec-15 02:30:53

As a non-vaping ex-smoker I would prefer if pubs would allow vaping so having a pint and a chat with my friends could be fun again and not spoiled by people going outside all the bloody time😣

I also think it is cruel of the convalescent home my 89 year old grandmother stats in to make her go outside to use an electronic cigarette.

Stupid.

Baconyum Sat 12-Dec-15 03:13:59

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/02/e-cigarette-manufacturers-california-health-watchdog

www.sciencenews.org/article/health-risks-e-cigarettes-emerge

The manufacturers are usually subsidiaries of cigarette manufacturers. Losing their source of income from normal smoking and have an awful lot of money and political power.

My friends are perfectly competent.

Allergictoironing Sat 12-Dec-15 08:18:13

Most of the 'research' saying its safe has been conducted or sponsored by...companies manufacturing vaping products!

I suggest you have a look at the web site run by Dr Farsalinos. He is NOT sponsored by any e-cig companies, and is a very highly respected cardiologist.

There has also been research carried out by various anti-smoking groups including ASH, which have all come to the conclusion that as a worst case scenario vaping is still many times safer than smoking.

Allergictoironing Sat 12-Dec-15 08:20:37

Forgot to say - the majority of e-cig manufacturers are nothing to do with the tobacco industry. The big boys came late to the party and are now desperately trying to catch up.

ginmakesitallok Sat 12-Dec-15 08:25:04

Throat cancer in vapers? Nothing to do with their previous smoking then?

Stasie Sat 12-Dec-15 08:32:29

I don't know anything about vaping but I am disappointed that it isn't allowed indoors, as I think that will discourage smokers from trying it. I am so happy that people are vaping instead of smoking everywhere, I want to encourage it.

But if it is actually harmful, obviously it can't be allowed indoors.

I don't get why people are saying 'you wouldn't smoke indoors so why would you vape?' when unti VERY recently, all the pubs and restaurants were filled with people smoking.

I used to work in a pub and the pong left on my clothes was awful, sadly I was too old to benefit when they banned it...

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 12-Dec-15 10:22:21

All evidence shows that vaping is far safer than smoking tobacco, that's the whole point.

I don't think vaping has been around long enough for any meaningful study to be undertaken has it?

It still stinks whether or not it is harmful, so I think it should be banned in enclosed spaces. Not fair to inflict your addiction on others.

frillybiscuits Sat 12-Dec-15 10:32:12

My local pubs don't really care and my friends happily vape away. Nightclubs, restaurants, shops and anywhere else don't allow vaping. Even our shopping precinct doesn't allow and there's open entrances all over meaning there is air flowing in and out. It does get in your face when people are using them near you and it isn't really pleasant so I can understand why

PlentyOfPubeGardens Sat 12-Dec-15 10:46:56

I think it's a bit like dress codes. Some pubs don't allow vaping because they're trying to project a certain image. Up to them but stupid and annoying. If you find a pub that allows vaping, it's good to let them know how much you appreciate it, tell your friends, give them a shout out on Twitter or whatever.

I don't usually ask first. I just vape discreetly and am always prepared to say 'sorry I didn't realise' and put it away if there's a complaint. There is a huge difference between stealthing it in a corner and having a cloud competition across the pool table grin I've done both

Vaping works best as a little-and-often thing. It's not like having a fag where you hoover it for 5 minutes every hour or two, so going outside can be much less convenient. It's very tough on new vapers as well, being sent to stand with smokers, especially in a place where they are probably drinking alcohol. I can't think of a better way to sabotage someone's quit attempt.

The Welsh Assembly are currently debating a ban on vaping in all indoor public places (including vape shops FFS!) There's a petition here that anybody can sign and if you live in Wales, there's guidance on writing to your AM here.

Baconyum spreading misinformation about vaping causes actual harm, please stop it. Read this statement from Public Health England (and signed by a further 12 PH orgs):

We all agree that e-cigarettes are significantly less harmful than smoking. One in 2 lifelong smokers dies from their addiction. All of the evidence suggests that the health risks posed by e-cigarettes are relatively small by comparison but we must continue to study the long term effects.

And yet, millions of smokers have the impression that e-cigarettes are at least as harmful as tobacco and we have a responsibility to provide clear information on the facts as we know them to be. It is our duty to provide reassurance for the 1.1 million e-cigarette users who have completely stopped smoking to prevent their relapse. ...

If you're still not convinced, read the full PHE evidence update: An expert review of the latest evidence concludes that e-cigarettes are around 95% safer than smoked tobacco and they can help smokers to quit. Then forward it to your 'friends in the medical professions' because they really should know better.

Pontybodkin Sat 12-Dec-15 11:10:53

I understand why ex-smokers and vapers want to believe that vaping is safe but there are more and more studies being published that show the damage it will cause to people's lungs over time.

www.10news.com/news/national/e-cigarettes-linked-to-incurable-popcorn-lung-disease

Vapers can ignore studies like this if they want to but please don't force non-vapers to breathe in these chemicals.

wonkylegs Sat 12-Dec-15 11:20:32

The statement that it's less harmful than smoking does not indicate that it is safe. It just indicates that it's not as bad as something that is really bad. Coke is not as harmful as alcohol but it's not good for you either.

BeezerBubble Sat 12-Dec-15 11:29:52

The popcorn lung junk has already been debunked up thread. See link to Dr Farsalinos. To save lives ecigs only have to be safer than tobacco, which they are. All these orgs in the picture do not support an indoor ban as evidence to the Welsh Parliament attests. I tend to believe them, not scare stories in the media.

PlentyOfPubeGardens Sat 12-Dec-15 11:51:52

I'm really pissed off that people are coming to the stop smoking topic to spread ill-informed scaremongering shit about vaping. This topic is here because vapers asked for it in order to support each other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now