Talk

Advanced search

I've been sold something I don't understand and totally hate!

(29 Posts)
Minikievs Mon 07-Dec-15 20:04:54

After trying to give up smoking for years (sometimes successfully, sometimes not) I decided yesterday enough was enough and went to my local e cigs shop for some advice. The girl was a few minutes off closing up, so basically let me try two or three ecigs, before selling me one, bagging it up and ushering me out of the shop.
It's totally my fault for not going somewhere else and getting better advice, but anyway. I'm now home with an e cig that I don't understand, tastes like shit and I have no clue what to do with it!
Is there an idiots guide anywhere that will help me, as I'm currently totally miffed at spending £40 on something I hate the taste of, with no idea on wattage, volts, nothing!

Dontneedausername Mon 07-Dec-15 23:14:42

Can you post a pic or a link for us? Between us we'll figure it out smile

Minikievs Tue 08-Dec-15 07:22:07

www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/products/electronic-cigarette-starter-kits/starter-kits/curve-mini/curve-mini-20w-ecig-kit-product.html

Thank you! It's this one that I've got, but it just tastes burnt?! And no idea what changing the watts/volts would do confused

Dontneedausername Tue 08-Dec-15 09:28:45

Ok, put the power down as low as possible, always best to start at the bottom.
I've never seen that kind of tank before!
Just press the down arrow until the numbers don't go down anymore!

BeezerBubble Tue 08-Dec-15 12:41:32

It's a rebadged Eleaf mini istick 20 watt and gs air tank. YouTube has a few reviews which should help.

Minikievs Tue 08-Dec-15 13:39:39

Thank you both-power is down as low as poss (although watts don't go any lower than 8) and will be you tubing tonight after work!
If I can't solve it, I'll be taking it back as the burnt metal taste literally makes me gag!

BeezerBubble Tue 08-Dec-15 14:11:51

May be the coil was ruined when you first tried it if it was turned up too high. Assuming there's a spare coil just swap it for old one and let it soak for 5 mins or prime it with eliquid before installing. Should be 1.5 ohm coil and at 8 watts will be only be 3.5 v. Once burnt coils always taste burnt 😕

Dontneedausername Tue 08-Dec-15 15:13:21

Did they give/sell you spare coils?

Room101isWhereIUsedToLive Tue 08-Dec-15 15:18:16

Just had to change the coil in mine as I was getting a burnt flavour. That is a clear sign that the coil needs changing.

Minikievs Tue 08-Dec-15 19:45:02

They didn't give me any spare coils but I only got it on Sunday evening, could it really burn out that quickly?? I've ordered a couple of replacement ones off the internet and hopefully they'll arrive soon as I can't get back to the shop before the weekend. Thank you all.
There's deginitely a problem-it tastes SO vile, people can't possibly stop smoking for this?!

TotalConfucius Tue 08-Dec-15 20:15:27

Personally I don't think that was the most appropriate kit to sell you. I started on the totally wicked Typhoon which was very simple and did me well for my first 6 weeks.
What sort of fluid are you using? The totally wicked tobacco ones are not great tasting anyway. Better to go with menthol.
I am 10 weeks in now, please persevere, after 33 years of smoking, this is the best I've felt for years, and I'm hundreds of £ better off a month. Keep on with it, it's so worth it.

TotalConfucius Tue 08-Dec-15 20:17:41

PS: in the health section there's a whole Stop Smoking topic where lots of vaping people hang out. Much support and advice available with no judgey pants and they're really helpful to newbies.

TotalConfucius Tue 08-Dec-15 20:18:39

Ooh sorry, I thought this was in chat! You've already found the stop smoking topic. I'll go and watch Masterchef.

PlentyOfPubeGardens Tue 08-Dec-15 21:20:05

It does sound like the coil is burnt and needs replacing. I found an interesting discussion here about that tank. Like most of TW's products it's a rebrand of another (decent) tank, so you shouldn't have to rely on TW for spares. Most online places (in the UK) deliver really quickly smile

Don't feel you have to totally switch on one day. Lots of people take a while to stop smoking completely. There's a lot to learn and it can take a while to work out what you like, both in terms of kit and liquid.

I've been thinking for a while - we could probably do with a new 'starter kit' thread. Those of us who switched a year or two ago are not so much help here because all the kit changes so rapidly. If any recent switchers can recommend a starter kit (especially inexpensive kit, for people who aren't sure whether vaping will work for them) I'm sure it would be really helpful.

Minikievs Tue 08-Dec-15 22:05:45

Ha ha, thanks Total grin

And yes Plenty, that would be really helpful. I just feel like she spent 30 seconds selling me something and bundled me out, when I'd specifically said I wanted some advice as a complete novice. So a newbie idiots guide would be great smile

donajimena Tue 08-Dec-15 22:23:18

Hi. If the liquid doesn't soak into the coil it tastes vile! It should have by now though
I use a blu (not the cheaper one) around 20 for a starter kit.
As a pp said don't worry too much about an immediate switch (unless you have been given a medical reason but obviously smoking is bad full stop)
I did both for a while finally realising I'd rather vape inside rather than get frozen outside smoking!

BeezerBubble Tue 08-Dec-15 23:25:59

Wife and I been vaping for over 3 years now but she sticks to simple stuff. Last thing I got her was this TW Tempest Not quite an ego one mini but takes same Joyetech coil heads @ 1 ohm. Just fill it up and push the button.

PolterGoose Wed 09-Dec-15 10:16:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Minikievs Wed 09-Dec-15 18:41:15

Thanks Polter! Sadly for the minute I'm stuck with the curve as I just can't justify spending out on another kit. I wish I'd posted here asking for advice before I bought it, but once I'd got in the mindset of wanting to start vaping, that was it, I needed to get to the shop asap!

Allergictoironing Wed 09-Dec-15 18:50:18

The curve itself is fine, just that most of us feel that tank you were sold with it probably isn't suitable and you should have been given more/better advice on how to set up the battery & kit in general. You should be able to buy a different tank for just a few quid as most of them are interchangeable - call up a decent vape shop & ask advice, and they should be happy to sell you one over the phone & post it to you.

Minikievs Wed 09-Dec-15 19:56:01

Oh ok, that makes sense! I didn't realise that you could just swap tanks on it. That makes me feel a bit better, hopefully I'll be able to get one that fits the unit and improves the (to date, completely shite) vape! I really really appreciate the help, thank you

AryaForQueen Wed 09-Dec-15 20:37:43

What liquid have you got?

Minikievs Wed 09-Dec-15 21:28:36

Burnt shit from the taste of it. But "Silk blend 1.1%" according to the bottle hmm I normally smoke Mayfair when I'm smoking lovely lovely lovely standard ciggies

PolterGoose Wed 09-Dec-15 21:56:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Minikievs Wed 09-Dec-15 22:06:30

Oh I've totally ballsed it up haven't I?! I went for something that I thought would give me the closest thing to smoking I could get! Error! blush
Maybe menthol is the way forward. Or jelly baby flavour. Or chocolate?!
Back to the drawing board. Thank you again for all the help. Hopefully I'll be a happy vaper soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now