Talk

Advanced search

he can't/won't?

(3 Posts)
GeorgiaT2468 Fri 04-Dec-15 23:24:46

My husband to be has recently been told he may have COPD. He gets his results on the 7th of this month.

However that along with being a chronic asthmatic and over weight it's all made him quite unwell, tired, lazy, moody ect....

How can I convince, encourage or help him to quit smoking?

We have children together who are young. All 5.5 and under.. Partner is 35. Doc said he's got great chances to prevent the COPD from increasing/developing for a long time providing he continues to follow her advice.

Stop smoking, lose weight ect..

None of which he is prepared to do by the sounds of it. He wants to I believe but says he just can quit!!

I can't help but get aggravated at him for continuing when he's got a chance that many don't to help himself and small children to be here for!!

Feeling frustrated and scared!! Xx

Madlizzy Fri 04-Dec-15 23:40:24

Until he's ready to quit, no amount of talking about it will make any difference to him. In fact, it's more likely to make him dig his heels in. It took me turning 40 and not wanting to be a 40 something smoker and I did it, but only because it was the right time for me.

ditavonteesed Sat 05-Dec-15 06:01:31

I agree that he won't until he is ready, but, and this is a big but COPD is a progressive disease and the only way to slow it's progression is to stop the thing that has caused it ie smoking. How he is now is not how he will be with COPD if he doesn't stop smoking. Maybe losing weight and stopping smoking is too much at once, try to find out what he would be willing to do, like would he be willing to cut down, vape any goal that he can do but is achievable would be better than nothing. You have to support him no matter how frustrating it is and I do understand how frustrating it must be. Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now