Talk

Advanced search

Stoptober... Anyone?

(120 Posts)
elementofsurprise Fri 25-Sep-15 14:26:52

Thought a support/distraction thread might be a good idea?

I'm trying to switch to vaping... have lovely coffee flavoured liquid. Also vape inside but smoke outside - as the nights are drawing in and getting colder it really feels like time to start vaping only, inside in the warm! although may require a blizzard to actually drive me inside away from the ciggies

Anyone else looking to take the first step of Stoptober? smile

magimedi Fri 25-Sep-15 14:33:18

I'm now nearly 3 years of no cigs but still vape (& love it).

Many of us 'dual fuelled' as you are, element for sometime before going over to 100% vaping. It was 3 weeks for me, but I know some people were more like 6 months + of still having the occasional cigarette before ditching them totally. It seems to be a way that works well & the thing to do is count the fags you haven't smoked.

PlentyOfPubeGardens Fri 25-Sep-15 19:48:38

bump Brilliant idea for a thread. Good luck!

BifsWif Tue 29-Sep-15 07:41:16

I'm in! I stopped cold turkey 10 days ago after a nasty chest infection but I can feel my willpower slipping.

I always do this, stop cold turkey - last anywhere between a week and a year and then start again. Maybe I should try vaping.

magimedi Tue 29-Sep-15 08:18:52

BitsWif - I was exactly the same as you. Three years ago I quit with vaping & am still vaping but not smoking. No urge to have a cig, no weight gained but enormous health benefits.

TuckingFablet Wed 30-Sep-15 17:44:06

Hello. I'm on day 3 of cold turkey. Mostly due to being skint. Get paid tomorrow and need some willpower to not go to the shop and buy some fags. Ttc dc2 so desperately need to stop

PlentyOfPubeGardens Thu 01-Oct-15 07:48:26

bump

Good luck to all the Stoptober quitters!

Mooogles Thu 01-Oct-15 08:07:11

I am stopping cold turkey today. Have tried several times in the last few months and fialed within a few days but feel pretty determined this time. Good luck everyone!

Mooogles Thu 01-Oct-15 08:07:35

*failed

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Thu 01-Oct-15 08:20:43

Hello! I had my last cig ten days ago - it took about 2 weeks before that for me to get sorted with vaping - right flavour, strength etc.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Thu 01-Oct-15 09:19:40

I am stopping cold turkey today for Stoptober. Got my app all good to go on my phone. Today and tomorrow should be okay as I'm not at work. But when I go to work on Saturday it's going to be interesting!
Good luck everyone!

BifsWif Thu 01-Oct-15 10:51:11

Good luck everyone! The Nhs smokefree fb page is brilliant for support during Stoptober!

Mooogles Thu 01-Oct-15 14:51:48

Cardiff.. it is the opposite for me, I find it ok when at work, but evenings and weekends will be hard!

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Thu 01-Oct-15 18:50:44

How did you get on today Mooogles?
I'll be honest, I didn't have the perfect start, I've had two cigarettes today. blush
But that's nowhere near the usual 7 or 8 I would usually have.
Conveniently, I won a copy of Allen Carr's Easyway to stop smoking on MN this week and that dropped onto my doormat today!
I will start reading it tonight after DS is in bed and hopefully reduce my 2 fags down to 0 tomorrow.

Awholelottanosy Thu 01-Oct-15 18:59:57

I have to admit, I'm a bit cynical about how a bunch of overpaid comedians are going to help me stop smoking..,?

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Thu 01-Oct-15 19:23:31

I have no idea Awholelottanosy I haven't watched any of those videos. I just figured now is as good a time as any to quit. I have to say the free Stoptober app is a bit crap too. It's not telling me anything I don't know already, like if I start craving a cigarette I could try sucking on a mint instead. Groundbreaking stuff!
I guess it's more about doing it at a time where a lot of other people might be too, so as to get peer support, on threads like this or on Facebook.

HeffalumpsnWoozles Thu 01-Oct-15 19:58:00

Going to start vaping on Saturday, its been a stressful week at work and I find it easier to smoke less at the weekend when there's less habitual smoking. Tried last year and went a week without a fag but had a reaction to a certain brand of eliquid so my glands swelled up & where really painful. Found one that agrees with me so here's hoping this time I quit for good!

Mooogles Thu 01-Oct-15 20:07:42

Cardiff, ok so far, just had a go on dh's vapestick because this is the time of day I really want to smoke. But I think today is a success. But I usually manage the first day or two.. It is after that it all falls apart!! Well done on just 2. That is pretty good going.

I actually gave up smoking for several years after reading the Allen Carr book.. If you're in the right frame of mind it is good I think.

I haven't watched the videos etc either, just decided that this is a good time to give up!

HeffalumpsnWoozles Thu 01-Oct-15 20:14:23

Quick question, did anyone find they have been coughing up a lot of gunk (technical term) after quitting?

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Thu 01-Oct-15 21:00:00

Good work Mooogles!

I gave up last year for six months but when I split up with my exP I slipped back into it again. I didn't cough up anything nasty that time, nor did I when I quit when I was pregnant, but I hear it's pretty common.

Settling in for the evening with Allen Carr now. Will see how I get on.smile

CalebHadToSplit Thu 01-Oct-15 21:10:16

First day of Stoptober for me today. Cold turkey. Work was ok, though very light-headed as oxygen levels increased, as had lots of distractions.

Home is worse and cravings bad now. I've lots of marking to do for tomorrow, but going to have to go to bed and get up at stupid o'clock instead as I'm shattered.

Good luck and willpower everyone!

PlentyOfPubeGardens Thu 01-Oct-15 21:16:47

Coughing up gunk is normal and healthy when you quit. The scillia (tiny hair-like things in your air passages) are coming back to life and ejecting all the rubbish that has been collecting in your lungs since you started smoking. The worst of it passes in a few days but if you've been a very heavy smoker you might find you hoik up a lump occasionally for quite a while. I think it took about 9 months for me, every time I could breathe a bit deeper afterwards so it always brought a smile to my face smile

Cardiff and everybody - count the fags you don't smoke, not the ones you do. You can do this flowers

IDoAvocado Thu 01-Oct-15 21:29:11

I stopped smoking and started vaping the end of july. Having smoked for 20 years, I can't tell you how pleased I am with myself.

Yes to coughing up gunk, loads in the first few weeks but not so much anymore. Horrid stuff too, a bit like wet weetabix, but better down the sink than sitting in my lungs.

I would urge anyone thinking of quitting to try vaping as it really does fill the gap that stopping smoking leaves behind. Also have a look at the stop smoking topic on here, I got lots of great tips and advice about vaping.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Fri 02-Oct-15 08:34:12

Morning everyone! Day 2 and I'm feeling super positive.
That Allen Carr book is incredibly repetitive! Does it work through some kind of book hypnosis!?
I will press on with it though as it was free, and I need to write a review of it for MN!

HeffalumpsnWoozles Fri 02-Oct-15 09:08:24

Thanks all, the idea of ejecting gunk actually appeals to me as you say better out than in!

Quit day tomorrow and I'm already looking at the cigs I smoke today as poison, I wouldn't drink or eat poison so why the hell do I inhale it willingly? Oh yeah, because I'm hooked and rather liked it for the last 20 years. How can an otherwise fairly rational, moderately intelligent woman choose to do this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now